Anyone else with IBS managing it with diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Good idea, I'll start using my notes section for that too ;-)
  • Diva_79
    Diva_79 Posts: 66
    Options
    is bumping allowed? If so, bump. :)

What does "bump" mean
  • rossraskolnikov
    rossraskolnikov Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with Crohn's (which is IBS With A Vengeance) primarily through diet.

Side-tip: Breathing exercises can work wonders. Try setting aside a few minutes at the beginning and end of every day for them.
  • witsend79
    witsend79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I took a year to work out what was causing my IBS. Mainly it's milk and yogurt, sweetener and sugar (as in normal sugar in coffee). I also struggle with iceberg lettuce, onion and some cheese.

I've found the sweetener and yogurt to be the hardest to avoid- grabbing a snack when you're out is hard going now! I love yogurts and miss them massively but even soya hurts- I suppose it's the sweetener that is added (and I'm not a fan of the natural flavour).
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Bump means bringing the post back up to the list of active topics, or book Rking your place I. The thread.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I knew someone who has Crohn's disease. Everything she ate made her sick. A nutritionist suggested she turn vegan. She turned not-quite-vegan; it turned out that honey didn't trigger her Crohn's symptoms. Her semi- vegan diet got rid of all her symptoms. She said she tried eating a piece of fish one day and it made her sick.

I too have Crohn's. I was in a terrible state when I was diagnosed about 10 years ago. I have been able to keep my flare ups to a minimum, with diet and exercise. Yoga is supposed to work wonders. The diet changes were fairly drastic at first until I was able to pin point what was making me sick. I was also on a ton of meds, which half of which I had no idea what was for. I think it was just to make the doctors rich:wink: I try to help others with suggestions concerning their symptoms but it always isn't well received. The only thing to do is sympathize and give hugs.
  • UK34
    UK34 Posts: 23
    Options
    Mine got massively worse since going on a diet!
    First day back on my diet yesterday I was in agony, thank god for Buscopan!!!
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    IBS can go together with celiac disease so I would get checked for that

I have to get my celiac testing done, I put it off til after my wedding because it makes me so nauseous that I knew I couldn't do the three weeks of eating gluten to do the test. I've been told by another doctor that I very likely have celiacs so I should not put off getting the testing done.
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i didnt read the whole thread so i dont know if its been mentioned but there is a diet for ibs called the low fodmap diet and its supposed to help 70% of sufferers.

unfortunately everything i like is on the list of foods to avoid (onions, garlic, avacado, brocolli, brussels sprouts, apples, mushrooms) so i was like "hell naw!" but if your curious, check it out.

FODMAPS is a great diet and a great place to start for most people. It wasn't quite enough for me so I had to go a bit more strict with my diet. I had a severe reaction to avocado the last time I ate it, it was terrifying. I loved the stuff but I'll never eat it again. Oh, will I ever miss guacamole. But anything is worth not being in pain every single day!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is a pain, sometimes i start to think there is nothing i can eat safely. I have found cutting out all grains, pulses and highly processed food has helped a lot as well as greatly limiting sugar intake so that it only comes from mostly the little that is in veg now. I found fasting is a big no no for me as set a off gallbladder attack, anyone who has had a bad one of those knows avoiding setting them off is a huge priority. I have greatly reduced dairy in my diet but do still have some from time to time. I still struggle with getter fiber right. I am still discovering more things that cause flare ups. Vinegar was the last thing that upset my system.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Also suffering with IBS, I had it for about 5 years now, its been a real trial and error processes working out what sets me off, it seems like some days I can eat certain things and be fine then the next day it sends me to the loo,

I've managed to work out what foods are guaranteed to set me off, Milk and Yogurts are a big no no for me as well as Wheat, as I mention there are foods that have a 50/50 chance of setting me off, bread is one of these for example, curry another.

At the moment I am just playing it safe and eating loads of fruit.