Undereating? Not counting calories? Not hungry?

Options

Replies

• bla115
    bla115 Posts: 206
    Options
    So what do you do when two sites give you different numbers??? I got 1446.25 at the dietician site and 1364 from this site....Which do I go with?
  • keira
    keira Posts: 25
    Options
    OKay, so BMR is the same as yours, so how many calories should I eat a day. The only excersice I do is about 30 minutes of fast paced walking.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    So what do you do when two sites give you different numbers??? I got 1446.25 at the dietician site and 1364 from this site....Which do I go with?

Find the average, or eat the higher amount first and see if you lose after a couple weeks. There's no sense starting off at a lower amount if you can eat more and still lose :) I used 4 different BMR calculators because there are different methods. I like the Katch-McArdle technique because it takes muscle mass into account. Two people with the same height and weight but different amounts of muscle mass with have different BMRs. I prefer the dietician site because it goes into greater detail, and when I entered my body fat % was right on with what I need to eat to lose 1 lb per week.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    OKay, so BMR is the same as yours, so how many calories should I eat a day. The only excersice I do is about 30 minutes of fast paced walking.

Add your other activity too...even light activity, like driving, burns calories. Realistically though, you're going to have to do more exercise if you want to lose body fat. You can't eat less than your BMR for very long and expect good results.
  • keira
    Options
    OH. What do you recommend for excercise that I can fit into my daily routine.

One summer, I went shopping all day. I had McDonalds for lunch (no snacking in between), and a light dinner...the next day I had dropped 10 lbs????....My body makes no sense.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    OH. What do you recommend for excercise that I can fit into my daily routine.

One summer, I went shopping all day. I had McDonalds for lunch (no snacking in between), and a light dinner...the next day I had dropped 10 lbs????....My body makes no sense.

Well scale weight is like that. I gain 5 lbs every day, like clockwork. It's just food, water, glycogen, and waste that hasn't exited the body yet.

What does your daily routine look like? I have a great 5-day lifting program with only about 20 minutes of lifting (30 on leg day). Add a short morning walk and/or an afternoon cardio session and you'll greatly increase your calories. If you have more time, I have plenty of other programs that take different amounts of time.
  • keira
    Options
    Well, pretty much I walk to the bus stop 10 minutes (just note that I walk very fast), another 10 minutes once I get off. 20 minutes of walking at lunchtime. and then 20 minutes of walking after work.

The worst part is I work in an office, so I pretty much sit all day other than that. By the tie I get home it's 7pm, when I make dinner. Not too much time to work out after that.

I really appreciate your help by the way!!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Well, pretty much I walk to the bus stop 10 minutes (just note that I walk very fast), another 10 minutes once I get off. 20 minutes of walking at lunchtime. and then 20 minutes of walking after work.

The worst part is I work in an office, so I pretty much sit all day other than that. By the tie I get home it's 7pm, when I make dinner. Not too much time to work out after that.

Hey! Sorry it took me a while to respond, I had to eat and lift and all that. :) I understand your time constraint...I was commuting or at work from 7am to 6pm all summer, and I had to prepare all my meals for the next day the night before! It was rough. I was allowed to eat throughout the day, so I did that, and then at lunch I would walk briskly for 20-30 minutes. After work, I went straight to the gym and changed, eating a bar on the way if I needed to (but I'd usually eat right before leaving the office and get to the gym 90 min later). My favorite, super fast workout goes like this:

Monday- Chest
    Tuesday- Biceps/Triceps
    Wednesday-Back
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Legs
    Saturday-Cardio

Do 30-45 minutes on Saturday...during the rest of the week, do however much you can to bring your weekly total up to 90 minutes.

You will do 4 exercises for each body part.
    You will perform 4 sets of 8 repetitions with ONLY 10-20 SECONDS REST between sets for upper body, and 30-45 SECONDS for lower body.
    You will take a 60-90 second rest between exercises.
    The weight needs to be heavy enough so that your last rep of your last set is REALLY your last; you can't do anymore with proper form.
    Your workout will look something like this:

Exercise #1: 8 repetitions, rest 10 sec., 8 reps, rest 10 sec, 8 reps, rest 10 sec, 8 reps
    Rest 60-90 Sec
    Exercise #2: just like exercise #1

I promise that, if you do this correctly, you'll feel like you were sprinting for 20 minutes even when you work your upper body. Since this is high intensity, you should take 3-4 days off every four weeks. Increase the weight on anything whenever your 4 sets of 8 are too easy.

If you really need exercises, I can recommend some, but I think it'd be fun for you to google around and see if you can find the most functional lifts for each body part (there are about 4 for each). :bigsmile:

Always always always warm up with light weight and stretching before you lift, and stretch again afterward! And have fun too! :happy:
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options
    Thank you for this excellent post. You broke down the science of it, in a matter-of-fact, dignified manner, without lecturing or condescending. This is how you win people over: good information, easy to understand, no judgmental tone.

You should be writing a fitness column. Truly.

I wish I'd had your advice when I first started here. I too went on the 1200 calorie a day plan, figuring it was enough for me. It's not. Combined with 30-40 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of strength training, six days a week, I was hungry to the point of fatigue, and stopped losing weight. At some point, I was so hungry I simply had to eat. It was like my muscles were screaming for energy. Very specifically I craved protein. I added as many healthy calories as I needed to feel "energized" -- the perfect middle ground between empty and overly full. Sure enough, I started slimming down again.
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Can anyone tell me about how many calories I am burning while doing 100 abdominal machine crunches with the weight set at 80 lbs, 6 sets of 12 each repetitions on a thigh abductor machine with the weight set at 100 lbs, and 3 sets of 12 repetitions on a forward rowing machine with the weight set at 30 lbs. I really would like to know because when I did the BMR calculator it was 1292 and I consistantly burn 225 calories every day on an ellipitical trainer so that would mean a total of 1517 calories a day and if I subtract 500 calories from that I could only have 1017 calories a day and I don't think that would be too healthy. Any help on figuring this out would be appreciated.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thank you for this excellent post. You broke down the science of it, in a matter-of-fact, dignified manner, without lecturing or condescending. Awesome.

I wish I'd had your advice when I first started here. I too went on the 1200 calorie a day plan, figuring it was enough for me. It's not. Combined with 30-40 minutes of cardio and 20-30 minutes of strength training, six days a week, I was hungry to the point of fatigue, and stopped losing weight. At some point, I was so hungry I simply had to eat. It was like my muscles were screaming for energy. Very specifically I craved protein. I added as many healthy calories as I needed to feel "energized" -- the perfect middle ground between empty and overly full. Sure enough, I started slimming down again.

No problem :smile: It can definitely be surprising how many calories we actually burn, and counterintuitive to think you have to eat more to ensure fat loss. I have been there with the hunger hehe...I went as low as 1400 calories at one point, and even that had me absolutely exhausted. I'd train, eat, and just pass out. That's no way to live! Some days I eat 1700 now, and I always throw in a high calorie day every couple of weeks. Eating maintenance (everything you burn) won't make you gain fat, and it will prevent plateaus. No one has to be starving to diet...in fact, if I have enough time to eat exactly every 3 hours, I'm never hungry or full, just always satisfied. I'm glad that you listened to your body, it will be nice in return hehe :happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Can anyone tell me about how many calories I am burning while doing 100 abdominal machine crunches with the weight set at 80 lbs, 6 sets of 12 each repetitions on a thigh abductor machine with the weight set at 100 lbs, and 3 sets of 12 repetitions on a forward rowing machine with the weight set at 30 lbs. I really would like to know because when I did the BMR calculator it was 1292 and I consistantly burn 225 calories every day on an ellipitical trainer so that would mean a total of 1517 calories a day and if I subtract 500 calories from that I could only have 1017 calories a day and I don't think that would be too healthy. Any help on figuring this out would be appreciated.

Well first of all....do less crunches my dear :laugh: Try situps instead, or something that you can't do 100 of in a row! That won't do anything but cause lactic acid buildup and fluid retention in the muscles. A great range for abs is 15-20 per set, 3-5 sets (5 is very advanced). If you want a firmer tummy, you need to lose fat first of all, and secondly have some muscle there...so the weight aspect is great, just reduce the reps (unless you're doing something like 4 sets of 25, that's okay, but still a bit high).
    Are you doing any other lifts, or just those 3?

As far as calories burned...when you add in your exercise, search for 'calisthenics' and 'strength training'. The time it takes you to do ab work should fall under 'calisthenics', and any resistance training under 'strength training'.

You are burning far more than 1517 calories a day. You are walking, standing, eating, lifting, and driving all day, and all of that burns calories. You should check out a few different BMR and Activity Calculators and add in everything you do alllllll day.
  • filergirl
    filergirl Posts: 240
    Options

Ah, the old "7 pm and haven't made dinner" dilemma. My trick is this: I walk in the door, take off boots and coat, go directly to my room, and put on my fitness gear. Once i have my sneaks laced up, I eat a handful of almonds or some other small, healthy snack, which staves off any hunger pangs. I do my half an hour or so of cardio, and then I run back upstairs, quickly prep dinner, throw it into the oven, and then do my strengh training and floor exercises, using hand weights and my stability ball. By the time I'm done that, dinner is usually done cooking. Also, I only cook a couple times a week, but make enough for leftovers and freeze them. Whenever I have need for a quick meal, I pop the leftovers in and throw a salad with it. I also keep Amy's frozen entrees in the freezer, too.

It helps that I live in a condo and my gym is downstairs. If I didn't have a gym, I'd probably either jog outdoors or get an exercise bike.

Point is, there are always excuses not to do things. The people who succeed find creative solutions, which is part of making the lifestyle change -- figuring out what works for you. You'll succeed. It's just a process of trial and error at first.
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I guess I should have made it clearer that the crunches are spaced out into five sets of 20 each. The abs, thighs, and rowing machine are the 3 things that I use consistently along with the ellipitical trainer. I am unsure of what other types of exercise I should be doing and frankly the "personal trainers" at my gym are not all that helpful unless you have signed up for an ungodly amount of time with them at exhorbitant prices. :laugh:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I guess I should have made it clearer that the crunches are spaced out into five sets of 20 each. The abs, thighs, and rowing machine are the 3 things that I use consistently along with the ellipitical trainer. I am unsure of what other types of exercise I should be doing and frankly the "personal trainers" at my gym are not all that helpful unless you have signed up for an ungodly amount of time with them at exhorbitant prices. :laugh:

Haha I was worried you were on that thing for a half hour just crunching away :bigsmile:

You definitely want to do more than those....they are supplemental, but don't do much on their own. Here is a very short list of the most functional lifts...they work multiple body parts and are easy to figure out.

Flat Bench (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)
    Incline Bench (Chest, Shoulders, Triceps)

Lateral Pulldowns (Biceps, Back)
    Cable Rows (Biceps, Back)

Biceps Curls (Biceps, Forearms)

Triceps Cable Pulldowns (Triceps, Forearms)

Squats (Legs)
    Stiff Leg Dead Lifts (Hamstrings/Glutes)
    Lunges (Leg Stabilizers--inner/outer thighs)

You don't have to do all of these every day. If you want, you can do all of them 3 times a week for a full-body workout. Or, you can split it into Chest, Back, Arms, and Legs. In any case, they should be a part of everyone's workouts. These are the foundation of even the most advanced training programs. If you want to supplement them with things like ab/adductor machines or other exercises that target smaller muscle groups within the larger ones, that's great too.
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'll start tomorrow and try to incorporate more of those lifts into a regular routine.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I'll start tomorrow and try to incorporate more of those lifts into a regular routine.

You're very welcome :smile: You can find instructional videos on bodybuilding.com, and I'm sure there are plenty of other sites as well. Just remember to rest a day between lifting so you can recover. Use 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps, but no more than that. The weight needs to be heavy in order to increase muscle density. High reps can increase muscle size, but that's due to fluid retention rather than an increase in density.
  • wibrown
    wibrown Posts: 30
    Options
    Hey I love the info. But I was wondering How I am to eat 1700 Calories a day when I can't eat the sites reccomended 1540. Today (with the walking I did) I still have 669 left (sorry I did miss breakfast, yes I know it was wrong). Most days I have 200 left. I am stuffed after every meal. any suggestions?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Hey I love the info. But I was wondering How I am to eat 1700 Calories a day when I can't eat the sites reccomended 1540. Today (with the walking I did) I still have 669 left (sorry I did miss breakfast, yes I know it was wrong). Most days I have 200 left. I am stuffed after every meal. any suggestions?

Try eating more calorically dense foods, like olive oil, PB, salmon, 80/20 Beef. Or, less filling carbs, like unsweetened puffed wheat cereal. If you really can't increase your intake in a week or two, you might want to go to your doctor. He/she can prescribe an appetite stimulant. Or, if you want to take a trip to Vitamin World or a similar store, they'll have an appetite simulant as well. Some bodybuilders need to eat 4000-5000 calories a day to gain any muscle mass, so they'll use the same things with great results. It won't make you want to eat 4000 calories a day, but it may help you grow accustomed to a larger volume of food.
  • wibrown
    wibrown Posts: 30
    Options
    Great thank you so much