When should you measure your food?

Options
3athlt
3athlt Posts: 131 Member
Since I got my food scale, I've used it for every meal that I've had. This has helped tremendously as a large part of my struggles with my weight have been portion control. But the timing of WHEN to measure has me puzzled and I'm looking for help.

As you know, some food shrinks while it cooks (i.e. meats/fish) while some food expands while it cooks (i.e. pasta/rice). For some reason, I've been weighing my meats after they've been cooked but weighing my pasta before it cooks. The weighing of the meat seems to have worked out well, but every time I've made one 2 oz. portion of pasta (dry, pre-cooked weight) it's been WAY more than I could eat in one serving.

Should you measure your food at it's cooked weight, or pre-cooked weight?

Thanks for your assistance! :happy:

Replies

• Anita4548
    Anita4548 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I usually measure everything before I cook it, but make sure the calories I put reflect the uncooked quantity.
  • newimprovingmrsp
    Options
    If you weigh your food before cooking, you should find the 'raw' or 'uncooked' entry in the database, then add the oil or fat used to cook it seperately. Alternatively, weigh it cooked and make sure you select the entry with the cooking method (fried, baked) you used.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I usually measure everything before I cook it, but make sure the calories I put reflect the uncooked quantity.

Yep.

I always weigh before cooking, because moisture levels will change depending on how long you cook (an overcooked chicken breast will have less moisture and so will weigh less than it's perfectly cooked counterpart, but the calories are the same). But make sure you're choosing the database entries for raw or uncooked weight if that's the option you choose.
  • hubn8147
    hubn8147 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    In for the answer, I have the same question
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Always weigh before cooking. That is the weight that is reflected on the manufacturer label.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If you weigh your food before cooking, you should find the 'raw' or 'uncooked' entry in the database, then add the oil or fat used to cook it seperately. Alternatively, weigh it cooked and make sure you select the entry with the cooking method (fried, baked) you used.

Just to expand on this, for basics like fruit & veg and meat and fish there are entries in the database which don't have an asterisk next to them. I believe these have been MFP-entered and are therefore accurate, as opposed to ones that are user-entered and may not be.

Check the packaging on your pasta for their suggested serving size and weigh it raw. Usually 75 to 100g uncooked per person is plenty.

I think the general rule is to weigh everything raw.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I would concur on the weighing before cooking.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Pre-cooked.
  • kathleenkilhefner
    Options
    Thank you OP for your topic. This has also helped me. I was weighing afterwards. When I log in food, I don't see many items without an *
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    I always weigh everything before cooking. Especially meats, because I'd rather err on the side of caution. Meaning I'd rather log the heavier weight of the raw meat.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Always weigh before cooking. That is the weight that is reflected on the manufacturer label.

This ^^^
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    precooked if you can...but we all can't do that.

When I make pasta it's for 3...so I choose the cooked entry instead.

So you can do either...just choose the correct entry.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I always weigh everything before cooking. Especially meats, because I'd rather err on the side of caution. Meaning I'd rather log the heavier weight of the raw meat.

This^
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP for your topic. This has also helped me. I was weighing afterwards. When I log in food, I don't see many items without an *

Putting the word "raw" at the beginning of your search will help bring the USDA entries to the top.
  • kspenglermoore
    kspenglermoore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Before cooking....think about it: when following a recipe the ingredients are always listed in raw..... when we eat out or at a friends house I guess i.e 1 cup of green beans etc.....
    I have also noticed that some foods are listed often on MFP . I have found that some people list some of the nutritional value..... I usually check a few.... for per-packaged food and even stuff like noodle etc I use the scan option of my smart phone with the MFP app.... That is also a great way to check things like meats(some of those have no nutrition label) beer or wine (nothing on those either)..... and no I am not a lush, but I do enjoy a glass of wine once in a while and the hubby has his beer with dinner.....
    Here is another tip on weighing stuff: I like to use grams or oz: it is more accurate than a the old cup measurement since there is a difference between a cup of sliced and a cup of diced peppers and when we pack a cup we as humans might pack it more than intended (that is okay on veggies, but on cheese it makes a bigger difference)......
  • kspenglermoore
    kspenglermoore Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Putting the word "raw" at the beginning of your search will help bring the USDA entries to the top.

Yes, that is a big one too......
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes, that is a big one too......

To search for USDA entries for meat type for example Chicken - Breast

From that I found the USDA entry Chicken - Breat, meat only, cooked, roasted, and Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw

and as you scroll down you see the rest of them between user entered data.
  • rebeccaisafish
    rebeccaisafish Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always measure raw. It makes more sense. If something comes up as "fried" for example, you don't know if it's deep fried or shallow fried and whether its using 1 tablespoon of oil or 10 tablespoons so raw is just easier.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    The weighing of the meat seems to have worked out well, but every time I've made one 2 oz. portion of pasta (dry, pre-cooked weight) it's been WAY more than I could eat in one serving.

Not a problem -- just cook less and log less. Just because the package says a serving is 2 oz. doesn't mean you have to eat that much. Be happy -- most people find they are disappointed with how small a serving of pasta, cereal, or ice cream, for example, is when they actually weigh it! :brokenheart:

I agree with those who say raw is usually better, because of variables in cooking, and that it's important to make sure that you make sure the database entry you use if for raw or dry (pasta, oats, rice, etc.) if you weighed or measured it raw, and that the entry is for cooked if you weighed or measure it cooked.

To find the non-user entries (I think MFP populated the database with entries from the USDA nutrient database), it often helps either to build your search string starting with a general category, and getting more specific, then finishing with raw or cooking method, e.g., "Beans - black beans, cooked, boiled, without salt" or "Cereals - oats, regular or quick, dry." Another tip: if your first attempt doesn't yield a non-user entry, try changing the food from singular to plural or vice versa (e.g., change "potato" to "potatoes").
  • cecesquats
    cecesquats Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i was looking up stuff about this a few days ago, and one source (don't remember where) said that the nutritional value that is put on food is whatever the state the food is in. so, before you cook it.