Not Feeling it in my Chest

Options
2»

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I need to working on using that form when doing Bench myself I think....if I want to go up...
    I am around 255 right now, and man just so much wear and tear on my shoulders....:grumble: :grumble:

yes... flat back and flared elbows with destroy your shoulders in a hurry.... im still fixing little ques on my set up for bench press and each small fix helps. just moving my hand placement from pinkies on the PL rings to 1" inside the rings added 20lbs, from 345 to 365 to my bench with a little more tricep activation.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I need to working on using that form when doing Bench myself I think....if I want to go up...
    I am around 255 right now, and man just so much wear and tear on my shoulders....:grumble: :grumble:

yes... flat back and flared elbows with destroy your shoulders in a hurry.... im still fixing little ques on my set up for bench press and each small fix helps. just moving my hand placement from pinkies on the PL rings to 1" inside the rings added 20lbs, from 345 to 365 to my bench with a little more tricep activation.

Good to know.

I will start trying to retrain myself on my form then.....
    Cause man I want to try going up, but at the same time, I am getting to old for the shoulder discomfort and pain....
    lasts for days later
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    yeah bench is probably my most frustrating lift- well second to squat- but for other reasons.

I tend to have weird elbow things- and people think I'm always trying to blast tri's because I bench more narrow... it's a frustrating lift- and once you re-adjust it feels SO unstable.

I've been having better luck with adjusting and leaving it there for the whole set- making one small adjustment at a time.

I can't even imagine benching completely flat any more. bleck.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    So when I squat, I feel it in my legs. When I do bicep curls, I feel it in my biceps. When I do dips, I feel it in my shoulders and triceps. But when I bench press, I can't feel it in my chest. Even when I tuck my elbows in, I only feel it in like my triceps. It feels like my arms are the only muscles moving the weight, and my chest isn't doing anything at all.

Try using some free weights rather than just doing the bar! Might help you out. :)
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    if you are still learning form then you SHOULD be using leg/heel drive during bench press. it has nothing to do with being a "powerlifting thing" it IS the correct way to perform the lift. shoulders squeezed back together, heels firmly on the floor, slight arch in your back, lats flared, and the weight supported on the upperback/traps. this is how it is done. also thumbs on the PL rings is a very very wide grip, try bringing it to your pinkies on the PL rings.

Great post. This is very solid advice and it's how you should be benching if you want to save your shoulders.

I used to bench like a retard, like most people do, and would have constant shoulder problems. Then I learned to bench like the guy above said and it made all the difference in the world. These days, if I want to I can go from flat bench -> incline bench -> overhead press without any discomfort in my shoulder at all. This is just to show what a drastic difference the right technique made because before just a few sets of flat bench would really start to screw with my shoulders.

Once you've learned how to set up for the bench then you can start to focus on your mind-muscle connection. You're going to want to do your best to concentrate on pushing the weight with just your chest. I mean obviously you will still incorporate the triceps, but you really want to focus on the chest being the primary mover.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    So when I squat, I feel it in my legs. When I do bicep curls, I feel it in my biceps. When I do dips, I feel it in my shoulders and triceps. But when I bench press, I can't feel it in my chest. Even when I tuck my elbows in, I only feel it in like my triceps. It feels like my arms are the only muscles moving the weight, and my chest isn't doing anything at all.

Try using some free weights rather than just doing the bar! Might help you out. :)

So does bench pressing with dumbbells require the same cues as benching with the barbell?
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried with my trainer to bench with an arch and push from my toes (but I haven't tried flat feet pushing from heels yet). One thing I noticed was that I was putting a ton of pressure on my lower back. My trainer told me that I should be arching through my thorasic extension, and thus, showed me some foam rolling exercises to help bring that into play. But since then, i've actually been too scared to arch again. I guess I should try again or get another trainer to work on this exercise with. I mean it took me half a year to get the mechanics of squat and deadlift down, and i'm still working on those exercises. I'm scared it's going to take really long to learn how to bench too. But I guess it's all in the process bro. So I guess because i'm not arching and because i'm not driving feet against the ground, this is why i'm not feeling it in my chest? Even with dumbbells?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I've actually tried with my trainer to bench with an arch and push from my toes (but I haven't tried flat feet pushing from heels yet). One thing I noticed was that I was putting a ton of pressure on my lower back. My trainer told me that I should be arching through my thorasic extension, and thus, showed me some foam rolling exercises to help bring that into play. But since then, i've actually been too scared to arch again. I guess I should try again or get another trainer to work on this exercise with. I mean it took me half a year to get the mechanics of squat and deadlift down, and i'm still working on those exercises. I'm scared it's going to take really long to learn how to bench too. But I guess it's all in the process bro. So I guess because i'm not arching and because i'm not driving feet against the ground, this is why i'm not feeling it in my chest? Even with dumbbells?
    but a lack of soreness doesnt necessarily indicate a lack of progress
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

Yes, use the form your coach gave you (why scared?).
    No, your chest probably wont be as sore from bench as your biceps are on curls, but that's OK
    Yes, you should feel the chest a little bit more when you use dumbbells (and yes you should set up in the same way)
    Try adjusting the way you do dips if you want to feel them in the chest

You know who it is....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKCq8AgDb7A&list=UUh0wrs-8ywjgZO7flfSmlqg
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    generally i find i feel work more in my weakest muscles. in bench i feel it in my left shoulder, squat and deadlifts i feel in my hips...

maybe you could try decline bench if you want to feel your chest when you bench
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Benchpress is more of a tricep and anterior deltoid exercise anyway, contrary to popular opinion.

However, if you want to engage your chest more, widen your grip. The reason you're not feeling it much now is because your triceps are the weakest part of the chain and fatiguing the fastest.
  • matthawthorneisamyth
    matthawthorneisamyth Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Flyes or incline dumbell bench presses. The flat bench isn't gonna give you a lot of chest tension through the full pectoral ROM.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Let's all be a little clear here: benching is not comfortable.

it's uncomfortable. you get used to it- and it becomes more normal/natural feeling through sheer use- but it is not a position you would regular find yourself in or want to normally be in. It takes some time to really get used to being in that arched position- I tend to feel it the most in my quads from the stretch and then my lats from tension- all the way at the bottom of them- not just the sides. Keep working on it- and yes- you can work your arch with just the bar- no need to load up if you aren't comfortable.