someone telling you that you gained weight

Options
Have you ever had someone telling you that you put on weight who wasn't your doctor or someone close to you? I remember one time I walked at work and my co worker said hi to me and we exchanged pleasantries and I then went on about my business. As I turned opening the staff door then she said ``Lacy(my name) put on so much weight, look at her butt ``she was telling the other lady who was there but she said it loud voice for me to hear it as well. Then she said ``Canadians don't want to be told `` I then turned around in disbelief that she actually said that and ask her if it was necessary for her to point that out and that I didn't appreciate it then she apologized which I didn't accept because I just felt like she did it to be mean. why point out something like that unless you are trying to be hurtful? I was already working on losing weight and it wasn't helpful and it ruined my day.It just made me want to binge on chocolate to feel better.

Have you ever had something like this happen to you

Replies

• AngelaRoberta
    AngelaRoberta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I haven't had that happen, but I have heard people say nasty things in regards to weight loss. I have to think a large part of it is their own insecurities. Some people can only feel good about themselves when they put others down. Other times it's people being jealous about someone else's success or dedication to their goals.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    No but i got a lot of up and down body scan stares on a daily basis.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    AS a fellow Canadian, I would have turned around and said "eh?"...hehe

BTW she did just do it to be mean and you called her on it...good for you.

But don't let some random person make you feel bad...if she isn't trying to help she isn't worth it...

But no sorry I haven't had that experience outside of close family...I am a "*kitten*" tho and most people who deal with me in a work or "social" setting know I will verbally take them down easier than chewing gum.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    There isn't any way in hell I would allow an ignorant person to make me screw up and binge. Some people are insensitive and tacky. I don’t give those kinds of people enough value in my life to give two shakes of sh$t about their opinions. You shouldn't allow people to get to you. A nice come back would have been to tell her you expanded your *kitten* to make sure she had enough surface to kiss it.
  • mishamae
    mishamae Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Wow what a rude, mean person! Good on you for calling her on it. I agree with AngelaRoberta, it definitely is has to do with their own insecurities. Pointing out what they perceive as another person's weaknesses, so that no one will notice theirs. So horrible and childish! :(

And you are not alone! I get comments frequently from certain people that seem passive agressive, but still do the hurtful damage. I'll get comments like..."I went through my closet and don't want these clothes, I'll give them to you, but do you know someone in your skinny enough to wear them?" Or "oh you could really use this to lose weight!" or the one that really upset me was "What you walked for an hour?! That's a long time for you, I mean someone like (the thinner girl in the room) could handle that because she's used to it, but that is just a long way for you!"

The last one really upset me because ...how fat and out of shape does this person perceive me!? I can walk for hours and work out at the gym for a good amount of time before actually becoming exhausted! And then finally comparing me to someone else...who they perceive as more in shape because they are thin. *sighs*
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some people were not raised with any manners whatsoever and believe that if they think it's right, it's okay. If it wouldn't bother them to hear, it's okay to say to others. Recognize their level and you will quickly not want their approval.

Switch the "It made me want to binge" to "I wanted to binge because..." Do not get into the habit of blaming your binging on external forces. You are always responsible for every bite. When you remember you control it, it's easier to control. :)
  • Missboss888
    Missboss888 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I hate that. I think it's jealousy. On the bright side...having a big booty is what everyone wants these days. :)
  • felicia8604
    felicia8604 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I havent had any incidents like that. Sorry people suck! You shouldnt let anyone tell you how you should look. And you cant compare yourself to anyone else because everyone is different! Good job and good luck on your continue success!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I had a customer tell me "you're just going to keep on gaining weight, huh?" I couldn't say what I wanted to say because I was at work, lol, but I just said "I like to eat." And left it at that. She was touched in the head anyway, so she was a nonfactor for me.

I wear my hair curly, and I only straighten it once or twice a year, well when I had it straightened she said "you finally decided to comb you hair. I'm so glad." I especially loved the comment bc she looked like she had literally rolled out of the bed, hair in all crazy directions, lol.

People are rude for no reason. Just brush them off because in the long run they mean absolutely nothing to your life.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My mother said to me about a month ago, "you've put on some weight, haven't you?" I said, "Why, thank you Mother, for pointing it out. I hadn't noticed that."
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Mean people suck!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    She just sounds like a b1tch
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thankfully all comments have been the opposite for me. Everyone telling me I look great, etc. Just have to ignore them the best you can and don't let it get you down.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all the time. I usually shrug it off and continue living my life as normal.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm getting the "you've lost enough weight" comments. Mostly from my grandparents, lol. And my dad will randomly look at me and go "you have lost A LOT of weight. I need to do whatever you're doing."

I always have to remind my GPs that I still have about 10 more pounds to go, and they don't look pleased. I think they think I'm going to wither away or something.
  • jojo37696
    jojo37696 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't feel so bad about it. I'm 61 yrs old and was asked when I was due. (I think I might be a tad old to have a baby). It embarrassed them more then it did me.
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I can normally tell if I've gained weight (other than the obvious..weighing myself) when people stop commenting on my weight. When I am maintaining or losing, almost everyone will comment on it. I can weigh the same thing for months and everyone will tell me how they think I am losing. lol

There was that time in the 3rd grade when I walked into my grandparents house and my grandpa (in a thick Cajun French accent) said... "You fat pig! What has happened to you?"

.... wahhhhhhhh!