Serious Trampoline Question needs answer

Options
No really I am serious.

I put my kids up a trampoline, like a 14 footer, had someone help me so I know it's sturdy....they aren't jumping on it and I'm dying inside because the weight limit on it says 220lbs!

1 - I did not know trampolines had a weight limit (well I did but I figured it was more like 500lbs or a couple adults)
2 - I weigh 233

I want on that thing so danged much but as hard as it was to put up, if I break it I would be SOOOOOO FREEAKING MAD!!!!!! at myself really but SOOOOO MAD!!!!

I wanna jump on it tonight so what say you is there anyone out there that knows about trampolines and knows that it says "weight limit 220" but really it would hold 300 just fine???

Or just the opposite has someone seen one torn to shreds because they exceeded the limit.

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    220? that's it? But I would think you wouldn't have anything to worry about. Sounds like something they say just in case someone falls through, they don't want to be sued lol.

I would get on it.

But you didn't hear that from me in case you fall through :P
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    i would think your fine, generally weight limits are pretty conservative. me and my brother would both go on ours when we were younger, probably was pushing 300 lbs combined (though it was probably a different model than you have)

but if you break if you didnt hear it from me
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    i would think your fine, generally weight limits are pretty conservative. me and my brother would both go on ours when we were younger, probably was pushing 300 lbs combined (though it was probably a different model than you have)

but if you break if you didnt hear it from me

If it breaks, it is your fault entirely.

OP, I think you are well within safe weight ranges. Go for it, jump to your heart's content!
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We have one of the huge trampolines too and I jump on it with my son all the time. At one time we had a combined weight of 310 lbs and it was just fine. You know they low ball that number to make 100% sure it won't break with someone on it, I'm sure you're fine at only 10 lbs over the limit.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was going to go in a whole different direction...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I hear the calorie burn is in the mini tramps.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Here I am!

oh. thought you were talking to me.
  • sheenarama
    sheenarama Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Because of the awwwww...

giphy.gif
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Do it!! Whats the worst that can happen?

fatty-jumping-trampoline.gif
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Because of the awwwww...

giphy.gif

this is what I came here expecting to find. ;)

but, seriously, give it a go. when I was a kid, they would pile a whole gaggle of us on those things at once. and we only got hurt when someone went flying off the side. ...good time. :)
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Because of the awwwww...

giphy.gif

I take your fox and raise you a bulldog. Awww that.

0UO95.gif
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    We have one about that size with an enclosure, and I jump on it with all three of my kids. I'm like 140, then my kids are around 50, 40, and 30 pounds each... so 260.. maybe 270 because I'm a horrible mom and totally taking a stab in the dark with my kids' weights. We've never had an issue at all. Of course when the little 30 pounder is up there were don't bounce full force, but that's just because she'd go flying. They also say to only have one person on at a time. It's just a conservative safety suggestion, in my opinion.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options

Whatchoo call me???!!1
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    As someone who spent many years working in A&E departments and Operating theatres. I've seen way too many nasty trampoline related injuries and personally wouldn't go near one or let my Children near one. So be careful
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    In theory, the 220 lb rating is based off of a design safety factor. I'm not sure if they would have used "repeated," which would be x6 (meaning it could HOLD - but not have something bounced on it - 1320 lb) or "shock/impact," which is x12 (again, meaning it could HOLD 2640 lb). Or, they could be using something I'm not familiar with - my mechanical design is rusty, as I'm in electrical engineering. I'd guess they'd use shock, as you'd be bouncing on it, as opposed to simply putting something on it over and over.

All that said, there's a good reason they use these safety factors. However, if you're just going to do a little bouncing, taking it relatively easy, you're probably fine at 233 lb.

eta: Note that the first two words here are "in theory." I have no guarantee that the designer(s) of your trampoline actually did their jobs properly.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options

Sorry next time k?
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Do it!! Whats the worst that can happen?

fatty-jumping-trampoline.gif

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! You sir are NOOOO funny. :)
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Because of the awwwww...

giphy.gif

I take your fox and raise you a bulldog. Awww that.

0UO95.gif

Funny becuase the bulldog video is the EXACT reason why I thought about asking!!!
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Meh. My next door neighbours trampoline had a weight limit of 250lbs, but I went on with my cousins and another kid and I weigh over 200 myself.
    No damage done still all, and we went on just about everyday lol.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Sorry next time k?

Haha. I was referring to a legendary thread a few months back where it was suggested that jumping on a trampoline can cause massive weight loss in just a few minutes. It was epic.