Meals and snacks for 12 hour shifts

Options
What are some low calorie meals and snacks for a 12hr shift?

I bring yoplait and grapes for snacks and I bring like baked chicken and green beans for my lunch or sometimes canned soup
I work 6-6pm
What are other things I can make to bring so I dont get bored with the same thing.

Replies

• Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I work from 9am-7:30pm everyday and an hour commute time each way so I feel ya. I have been at this for three years my diary is open feel free to look at it however these are things I do:

1.) I make meals on sundays large meals that I freeze for the week and grab to go as needed :) I make lots of broth style soups, stirfrys you can make so many different kinds (lots of veggies some protein and some marinade), Chicken breast and a side of veggies, eggplant lasagna. I have found pretty much everything freezes well without adjusting the texture to much :)

2.) Snacks- almonds, pb2 and apples, fresh fruits, veggies & dip (for dip i use FF sour cream and a ranch packet)

:)
  • nikole21212
    Options
    thanks Cerakoala! Im def going to check out your diary.
  • chelleo2l
    chelleo2l Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My husband is a "snacky eater". So I usually pack his lunch at night. I put in a yogurt with diced strawberries, blueberries and granola on the side. (I buy this bulk at Sprouts) Celery sticks with peanut butter. Broccoli with light ranch. Green peppers sliced. Peaches when they are in season. Any kind of nuts on sale. Green onions. Plus what we had for dinner the night before. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • kbowen017
    Options
    I'm having the same problem...I feel like I'm eating the same things everyday. I work 12 hour shifts, and with my commute, I'm usually out of the house for 14 hours. I've been having trouble coming up with creative (low-cal) foods/snacks that keep me feeling full.
  • nikole21212
    Options
    thanks Chelleo that does help!
  • LindseyVinzant
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts as well and i like to eat every 3 hours or so. soooooo this is usually what is in my lunch box :)
    ***SNACKS***
    14 baby organic carrots
    2 tablespoons of hummus
    1cup fresh cut strawberries
    1cup fresh cut pineapples
    24 almonds
    1 vanillia greek ygurt 100 cal
    1/3 cup vanilla blueberry granola (i mix it with my yogurt)
    ***LUNCH***
    1/2 cup ground turkey
    1/2 cup brown rice
    1/3 cup black beans
    some sprinkles of fresh Pico
    because i loveeeeee mexican food and this is a super easy meal prep thats PACKED with protein and low calorie!

my daily calorie intake is usually 1200-1500 and im never hungry and always full of engery
    you gotta keep snacking on healthy items. lots of veggie that are high in fiber will keep you going!
    and for breakfast at home i always eat something with fiber as well as protein to keep me fuller

***BREAKFAST***
    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup sauteed onions & peppers
    tablespoon of shredded mild cheddar
    light english muffin with 1/3 daily fiber
    couple sprays of "I cant believe its not butter" (its ZERO everything)

and usually im pretty good all day. if i dont run 7 miles before work. im a runner so when i run before work im always so hungry all day so i have to bump up the snacks.

hope my meals help!
  • nikole21212
    Options
    thank you sooo much Lindsey, that does help!!!! :smile: *takes notes*
  • dekadai
    dekadai Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I work 12:30-11pm and eat every 3-4 hours. I prep my meals for the week on sundays. Have lots of nuts (almonds and cashew mostly), oatmeal packets and fruit (apples, oranges) in my locker.