Seeing spots

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
PREFACE: I am 18 weeks pregnant and seeing my doctor every 4 weeks. I asked her about this at my last appointment and she advised a couple of things, but nothing that I feel is causing it. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this, or has thoughts on what may be causing my issue...

I've been experiencing some blurred vision/inability to focus visually (and mentally but that's a different issue), as well as seeing black spots and/or light spots. Within the past couple of weeks it is happening more and more often. It is worst when while driving or sitting at my desk working, but I've also noticed it while walking, doing yoga, or just doing things around the house.

I have had some weird blood pressure issues over the past year. Last year (actually exactly a year ago today), I went to the doctor for my annual and my BP was 150/100. I followed up with my GP and was put on medication. I felt much better at first, but within about 6 weeks I started to feel extremely tired, tightness in my chest, and feeling out of breath. I went back to the doctor and found my BP was too low. I was weaned off of the medication by the first of October, and my BP is now back to normal. I bought a cuff and track at home, as well as my monthly prenatal visits. Sometimes it is pretty low (I've seen 100/57) and at times I still experience symptoms of low BP, but I've learned to stand up slowly so I don't get light headed. My doctors do not seem concerned with my BP at this time.

My OB suggested eating small meals frequently, not eating a lot of sugar in one sitting with no protein to balance it, and drinking plenty of water - all of which I already do. I'm eating around 2000 calories per day.

One thing I've thought recently is that maybe I am consuming TOO much water, and messing with my electrolyte balance? I drink a lot of water - about 120-150 oz per day. I always have. I am always thirsty. I've asked several doctors about my need to drink so much water, I've had tests done, and found nothing of concern. My urine is sampled at each prenatal appointment to watch for diabetes.

Sooo, if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks.

Replies

• Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    After this happens, do you have a headache? Within 30 minute or so?

I got my first migraine when I was pregnant with my son.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    After this happens, do you have a headache? Within 30 minute or so?

I got my first migraine when I was pregnant with my son.

No. I was actually having constant headaches earlier in my pregnancy but those have gone away. And, at that time I was not seeing spots except for when I stood up too fast.
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've heard before that you can have a migraine with all of the symptoms without the actual headache, and spots are definitely a symptom. Does bright light also bother you at all?
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    No. I was actually having constant headaches earlier in my pregnancy but those have gone away. And, at that time I was not seeing spots except for when I stood up too fast.

I'm wondering about your BP... I have orthostatic hypertension - basically if I stand up (from laying down) too fast my vision goes spotty and then totally blacks out and sometimes I pass out. Sitting usually relieves it if I sit in time (before the total blackout), but they have tested my BP while it happens and it drops dangerously low.

If I go from sitting to standing, or if my head is below my knees (like when I shake out my hair and blow dry it - Idk maybe I'm weird hah). I get spotty but won't black out.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I had this issue with my second child. However, I was also seeing double every morning when I woke up. I was super dizzy too... In fact I had to take a month off work because I couldn't drive...

In the beginning they thought it was the onset of MS. I had some tests done, and they ruled that out. So finally they came to the conclusion that my son was sitting just right on my spinal chord, and was jacking with my nervous system.

Sure enough, after I had him, I was back to normal.

But you may want to get a second opinion, and have them run some more tests. It is better to know...
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    yeah it sounds like youre suffering silent migraines but definitely try to get a second opinion.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I've heard before that you can have a migraine with all of the symptoms without the actual headache, and spots are definitely a symptom. Does bright light also bother you at all?

I haven't noticed that change in light makes much of a difference. I sit under florescent lighting at work all day, but it's not painful to look directly at the light or anything.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I used to get this quite a lot- at this point I was on my old eat whatever the hell I want diet, I think its fairly common in the early to mid stages to feel quite dizzy, if you are concerned then best to get it checked by a doc.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people say about this. I suffer from this too, but I am not pregnant.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options

I'm wondering about your BP... I have orthostatic hypertension - basically if I stand up (from laying down) too fast my vision goes spotty and then totally blacks out and sometimes I pass out. Sitting usually relieves it if I sit in time (before the total blackout), but they have tested my BP while it happens and it drops dangerously low.

If I go from sitting to standing, or if my head is below my knees (like when I shake out my hair and blow dry it - Idk maybe I'm weird hah). I get spotty but won't black out.

There were a few times where I've come close to passing out. I've never acually passed out before in my life. But, if I would stand up without thinking about it first, I would get very dizzy, and have to find something to balance on and close my eyes. The nurse at my work told me that is Postural Hypotension - which I think is another term for Orthostatic Hypertension.

I've gotten into the habit of standing up slowly, so I'm not really having that issue anymore.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    No idea

I sometimes see small hair like thingies floating around. Got used to em so yeah

edit: just noticed this is about pregnancy. Just to clarify I'm not pregnant :)!! Oh well already in
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I had this issue with my second child. However, I was also seeing double every morning when I woke up. I was super dizzy too... In fact I had to take a month off work because I couldn't drive...

In the beginning they thought it was the onset of MS. I had some tests done, and they ruled that out. So finally they came to the conclusion that my son was sitting just right on my spinal chord, and was jacking with my nervous system.

Sure enough, after I had him, I was back to normal.

But you may want to get a second opinion, and have them run some more tests. It is better to know...

I assume it has to do with the change in hormones. I don't think I'm far enough along to have the baby or weight of my uterus causing issues, but I could be wrong.

I'll ask the nurse at my work next time she is here too.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    When I was pregnant I used to get this quite a lot- at this point I was on my old eat whatever the hell I want diet, I think its fairly common in the early to mid stages to feel quite dizzy, if you are concerned then best to get it checked by a doc.

I don't quite understand what you mean. Are you saying you had this because you were eating differently than normal?
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    yeah it sounds like youre suffering silent migraines but definitely try to get a second opinion.

Interesting...
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    No idea

I sometimes see small hair like thingies floating around. Got used to em so yeah

edit: just noticed this is about pregnancy. Just to clarify I'm not pregnant :)!! Oh well already in

Yeah, I think those are from allergies.
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    I have a bp disorder and after a lot of testing and trial and error, drinking diluted Gatorade or Nuun (higher-sodium electrolyte drinks) in place of water pretty much got rid of the lightheadedness. When I was pregnant I almost passed out multiple times, but that's pretty common in pregnancy bc your blood volumes are increasing and it can take a while for your body to adjust.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I have a bp disorder and after a lot of testing and trial and error, drinking diluted Gatorade or Nuun (higher-sodium electrolyte drinks) in place of water pretty much got rid of the lightheadedness. When I was pregnant I almost passed out multiple times, but that's pretty common in pregnancy bc your blood volumes are increasing and it can take a while for your body to adjust.

Can I ask what type of BP disorder you have? (You can PM me if you want). Did you have vision problems as a result of the disorder? I am concerned that it seemed like all of a sudden I went from normal BP all my life to HBP then down to LBP. I bring this concern up to my doctors pretty often and nobody seems to be concerned.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

I haven't noticed that change in light makes much of a difference. I sit under florescent lighting at work all day, but it's not painful to look directly at the light or anything.

You won't necessarily get an actual headache. Ocular migraines involve auras, spots or wavy lines. Silent migraines can include these as well as other symptoms like confusion, irritability, fatigue, nausea, even dizziness.

The triggers for me seem to be changes in weather, hormone cycle and sometimes bright lights (florescent, sun, computer screen)

I would definitely recommend talking to your doctor and being a bit more assertive about your concerns and bring up the possibitlites written here. There's not a whole lot you can do about migraines but seeing if there's something you could take safely during preganancy or maybe changes you could make in your diet or environment would help.

Best of luck.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    No idea

You have "floaters." They are normal (generally).

When I'm having an optical migraine usually my vision goes wavy and gets worse to the point where I can't see the computer screen, read, or otherwise. Within 30 minutes the head pain will begin, after my vision has gone back to normal. These aren't triggered by light for me.