ladies: time of month weight retention

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that PMS isn't real, kind of like the female orgasm, it's just an excuse for women to act crazy a few days a month and over eat food. That's why women actually complain about weight gain during that time, it has nothing to do with the "hormones". It's because you stuff your face with chocolate!!!!

....for my fans

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

81ffc4bb48f64608518094966cc5b2b1_zps0c549d33.gif
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. I don't mind the tempory pound or so of weight during my period. I do kind of look forward to weighing in the days right after it ends. Those are usually my lowest weights.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit odd, from the sounds of it... I actually have a steep drop the day before my period, bloat 2-5 pounds during, and then hang on to the water weight for a few days days afterwards. I actually just finished mine and am still hanging on to three extra pounds. :( The scale can be a bit discouraging, if you let it, but sometimes I find weighing myself during the times I worry the most can be cathartic. It all depends on your preferences. I just keep in mind that this is normal for me and do my best with everything else - I know it will go back down soon. :)

I do start craving HUGE amounts of iron (and, of course, chocolate) during my period. Anyone else? ^_^;

This is the way it works for me too. I also can have some water retention around ovulation.

IMHO, you just have to come to terms with it. It's part of life and nothing to get upset about. Like this week, I've been really good with my calories but I've had some hard workouts and high sodium days so even though my rings are fitting a bit better, the scale isn't showing a loss yet. I know why it's happening, so no big deal. I'm sure I'll see a loss soon enough.

P.S. I used to crave iron like crazy when I was younger but no so much these days - I think I get more of it naturally now than I used to. I even craved liver one time when my period was coming - and I don't even like liver very much. Chocolate though - hell I could eat that every day.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I truly believe that PMS isn't real, kind of like the female orgasm, it's just an excuse for women to act crazy a few days a month and over eat food. That's why women actually complain about weight gain during that time, it has nothing to do with the "hormones". It's because you stuff your face with chocolate!!!!

....for my fans

Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

He should add "Period Expert" to his list.

He really should. And might I add :love:
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options

....for my fans

tumblr_m4ckc8oNSp1qzydh2o1_500.gif
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit odd, from the sounds of it... I actually have a steep drop the day before my period, bloat 2-5 pounds during, and then hang on to the water weight for a few days days afterwards. I actually just finished mine and am still hanging on to three extra pounds. :( The scale can be a bit discouraging, if you let it, but sometimes I find weighing myself during the times I worry the most can be cathartic. It all depends on your preferences. I just keep in mind that this is normal for me and do my best with everything else - I know it will go back down soon. :)

I do start craving HUGE amounts of iron (and, of course, chocolate) during my period. Anyone else? ^_^;

Yes! I typically crave red meat, iron, and salty foods. I've recently discovered I'm anemic (and trying to fix it through iron pills per my doctor) so that might play a role.

But anyhow - give yourself a break and realize that your body is going to do weird things around your period. Sometimes you may retain water, some times your period will be twice as heavy or you find yourself more tired.

It was my time this week. Monday - I was kicking butt and taking names at my barre class! ...meaning (for me) I did all the exercises and didn't have to do a time out. Thursday, two days into my period - not the same experience at all! I felt all the old symptoms from anemia that I've spent the past month trying to fix. Next week, I'll be back in fighting shape, I'm sure.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I make my husband hide the scale from the day before through the last day. Quite possibly too extreme, but it works for me.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options

....for my fans

It's like you're right here with me, watching everything I do. o-0
  • jillxmadelynne
    Options
    i usually put on 3-5 lbs about 4 days before my period starts ( coupled with the desire to eat everything and everything, and occasionally to punch someone in the face ), and then the last day or two of my actual period that weight falls off, and usually a lb or 2 extra, if i've been consistent with logging/exercising during that week.

I'm pretty sure you just summed it up perfectly, lol
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've gained two pounds the past two days, which concurs with last month. Most likely if it goes the same, this will stick around until at least next weekend (it's due Tuesday).