Going overboard on 'healthy' snacks

Options
I've been struggling with snacking at work... I posted earlier, as I'm a temp worker I'm really struggling to refuse offers of sweets, cakes, biscuits, tea etc.

So, I thought, hey. Nakd bars are on offer just now at Tesco. I'll stack up on them because they're made of things like dates, cashews and raisins and have a thing on the wrapper that says '1 of your 5 a day!' Woop!

Well, yeah.

They are tasty and delicious. They are also putting me over on my sugar like every day, and it's taken me way longer than it should have done to realise (even while logging them!!) that they're still about 150 calories each so I probably shouldn't have two. Reaaaaally going to have to start treating them as 'cake' instead of 'fruit'. Reaaaaaaally isn't rocket science.

Going to go bang my head against the wall for a bit, kthxbye.

Replies

• megacoco
    megacoco Posts: 32
    Options
    I hadn't heard of them before and, thinking it was a typo, googled "naked bars." Note to self: don't do that at work again haha.

After finding the actual product, it seems the raisins and dates are what are pushing the sugar content so high. They're probably a good replacement for when you're craving a candy bar, though otherwise maybe stick to plain fruit and nuts as a snack? That way it'll be easier to watch the intake, since I noticed a review stated they have a lot of those raisins.

I know the feeling though - I used to temp at Amazon. Bagel Thursdays, random donuts/cookies/shots of whiskey throughout the week... Hard to resist.
  • lukeyjune
    lukeyjune Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try Larabars, coconut is my fave, not bad as the other kinds.

I worked in an office (as a temp) where a guy in accounting would bring in the huge mega pack of cookies from Safeway every single Monday morning and it stayed on the "community" table by my desk. Every time anyone would grab a cookie, I would get a whif. I eventually moved the community snack table. It was hard, I feel your pain!
  • rosnz
    rosnz Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of them before and, thinking it was a typo, googled "naked bars." Note to self: don't do that at work again haha.

Haha love this - I can just imagine. I digress here but I once needed some animal costumes for a child's play and typed 'animal costume' - you'd be amazed at how many men wear an elephant G -string (yup that's the trunk!) in the privacy of their own home ;-P
  • aethre
    aethre Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Whole-food bars to elephant thongs in 3 easy steps. You guys have made my day. XD

I meant these, for the record: http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk/nakd-fruit-and-nut-bars/
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with snacking at work... I posted earlier, as I'm a temp worker I'm really struggling to refuse offers of sweets, cakes, biscuits, tea etc.

So, I thought, hey. Nakd bars are on offer just now at Tesco. I'll stack up on them because they're made of things like dates, cashews and raisins and have a thing on the wrapper that says '1 of your 5 a day!' Woop!

Well, yeah.

They are tasty and delicious. They are also putting me over on my sugar like every day, and it's taken me way longer than it should have done to realise (even while logging them!!) that they're still about 150 calories each so I probably shouldn't have two. Reaaaaally going to have to start treating them as 'cake' instead of 'fruit'. Reaaaaaaally isn't rocket science.

Going to go bang my head against the wall for a bit, kthxbye.
    Unless you have a medical issue sugar is not an issue. Also MFP sets sugar way to low anyway. Also yes so called 'Healthy foods' have calories sometimes more than the so called 'un healthy' ones. As with anything it's fitting the calories into your daily goals.
  • runlilyrun
    runlilyrun Posts: 140
    Options
    I work on the basis that it's a few less calories than an actual chocolate bar and more importantly makes me feel a lot better in myself. The protein helps keep me going too. You could do a lot worse than Nakd bars for snacks *side-eye at 'Morning Bars'*. Have you tried the Banana Bread one? SO GOOD.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with a naked bar for a snack!
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I like the Nakd apple pie ones as well. But yes, it's worth keeping an eye on the various snacks, even if they are 'healthy' because a couple of them (less than 2 in fact) can add up that cookie or garibaldi you were eyeing up and wanting to avoid in the first place.

Sugar wise - not sure. I don't log sugar as I eat a lot of fresh and dried fruit (as well as biscuits and treats) and I was always, always over the sugar limit when I first started here.
  • aethre
    Options
    This was the funniest thing, they were actually higher in calories than the little fairy cakes that were being passed around that I passed up on!

Banana Bread flavour's not my thing, (I really hate bananas) but I love the Apple Pie one, and the Rhubarb & Custard. As for the Cocoa ones, I would honestly prefer one of those to any cheap chocolate bar!

I don't have any specific worries about diabetes or anything but it is in my family and I've been tested for it a couple of times so I like to keep an eye on it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I never heard of not turning down food because you're a temp worker. Did I misunderstand, or is this a please like me thing? Or did you mean you're temporarily in this work environment that has a lot of snacks about (I have issues not eating readily available snacks, too)?
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Energy bars are usually high calorie, I've been trying the 90 cal bars from kelloggs, which aren't bad but they aren't large either. But if you eat 2 you're only having 180 calories instead of 300 with the naked bar.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Bring apples to work. Filling, low sugar, and will switch off any craving ;)
  • DMadelineP
    DMadelineP Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There are the 90 calorie choc chip granola bars too...
    I find fruits like apricots and plums that are just as filling, only lower calorie.
    Plums are 30 calories. I am much less likely to eat 10 plums than 2 bars,

If you're really hungry, protein and fat are the way to go. Bananas, peanut butter, a cheese stick, any type of meat~very filling!
  • aethre
    Options
    I never heard of not turning down food because you're a temp worker. Did I misunderstand, or is this a please like me thing? Or did you mean you're temporarily in this work environment that has a lot of snacks about (I have issues not eating readily available snacks, too)?

Yes, it's a 'please like me' also a 'please feel that I am a valuable team member' and a 'please continue to employ me so I can continue to pay my mortgage.' Sue me. :P

But yes, there is constant snackage, which I suspect is not temporary in this particular environment. ^_~
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Yes, it's a 'please like me' also a 'please feel that I am a valuable team member' and a 'please continue to employ me so I can continue to pay my mortgage.' Sue me. :P

But yes, there is constant snackage, which I suspect is not temporary in this particular environment. ^_~

Well, damn. It's a tough world out there!