30 min Teryaki Herb Salmon meal. 353 cal. 400 mg sodium

Options
bruthacuervo
bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
I wanna give you something that is helping me immensely right now. I'm living get for good NUTRITION right now, not just counting calories. In addition. I'm on a tight budget, like I know most of you are too. Also, I need something quick to get together in most cases. If you go out and look and the healthy "quick" foods, you will find that almost universally to kill calorie count, they drench the food in sodium. Take a look at any soup, or subway sandwich? One of those pretty much has all the salt you would need. In a DAY. That's not healthy.

So I've been scanning the nutritional labels, and, if you have an Aldi grocery anywhere near you, I have got something for you. It's Teriyaki herb salmon. Can be done from frozen to finished in under 30 minutes.

At Aldi you can get a bag of salmon for 4 bucks. While there, look in the frozen food aisle for "Seasons Choice Steam" vegetables. Asparagus, or Broccoli, or California Medley. All are good and steam in your microwave in 5 or so minutes.

Now the only thing that CAN'T Be bought at Aldi? The teriyaki marinade sauce. For that La Choy stir fry Teriyaki marinade/sauce. Available pretty much any grocery. Why this one? Coming in at 105 mg of sodium for 1 tablespoon, it is by far the lowest sodium content of almost any marinade I have found. Far lower than other items touting "lower sodium" content.

Use hot tap water to thaw the salmon. Should take no more than 5 minutes or so.
From there for 8 oz of salmon (essentially 2 filets) in a dish poke holes in salmon with a fork and use a tablespoon of marinade for each filet. And then from there be creative. ( I have added lemon juice prior to the marinade, but you don't have to.) I add garlic, black pepper. (I have also added cumin, red pepper, chili powder at different times anything that does not raise sodium too much...I'd say feel free to experiment!)

Bake in an oven for 375 for 9 minutes.... and then turn to broil for an additional 2.

That's it. I'd say marinade for a minimum of 15 minutes... or longer if you have the time.

I added a sweet potato (using just I can't believe it's not butter spray.....simply as something to hold the cinnamon on!!!!) And half a bag of the steamed California Medley as an example here..... and the totals?

353 calories
400 mg sodium
54 g protein
32 g carbs
498 % Vitamin A requirements! (This is why I chose sweet potato, adjust accordingly if you don't like sweet potato)
111 % Vitamin C requirements.

That's for the entire MEAL, again from frozen to finished in a little over 30-35 minutes. (And 15 of that is marinade time!) This is now a staple of my diet, and even allows for some cheat meals from time to time. ( I MUST build in that buffer yaknow)

Anyway it's working for me, so I thought I'd pass it along. I like fish, and a little marinade goes a long way there. I assume this would work with chicken, but I'd double the marinade time at bare minimum..... and WATCH closely on chicken the sodium content of what you are getting. It can get away from you quick.

Replies

• Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious, but I thought 8oz of salmon was 415 calories or something, so the math doesn't add up.
  • bruthacuervo
    bruthacuervo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for initiating that recheck for me... While this is still a great low calorie low sodium meal, I was using the barcode feature to scan this is in...and found it was wrong!! However, we are talking about just about a 50 calorie difference. From the nutrition label itself (and I'll admit I'm throwing blind faith at this being accurate) it states 4 oz (about 1 filet) coming in at 125 calories. 125*2 for 250 calories on the fish. Slight adjustment on sodium as well bringing the total sodium (for the whole meal now) to 461. So adjusted 423 calories and 461 sodium.

For my excercise and diet plan this is still a HUGE benefit for low cal, low sodium, and protien, vitamin benefit.......but will make me eye the database a little more carefully!!!