Upper Back workouts to do at home

Options
I am looking to strengthen my Upper Back and need some help with some beginner exercises. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Because of the upper back's functionality, it is necessary to use heavy implements to train it. Barbell rows, dumbbell rows, shrugs and deadlifts are the mainstaples of back training. Farmers walks and pull ups are also good.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Look into reverse push ups between 2 chairs or benches.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bonmomi
    bonmomi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will give it a shot! I had to look up Farmer's Walks :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Get yourself one of those pull-up bars you can hang in your doorway. Pull-ups are great for upper back strength and easily done at home with such a device if you don't have DB's and a BB at home for what Lofteren mentioned.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Why just your upper back, and not your entire body?
  • bonmomi
    bonmomi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am coming back from a neck surgery, almost 2 years out, and since then I have developed this "hunch" and carry my shoulders higher than normal. I feel weak there and a lot of other places, but was having a hard time finding exercises for that area.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You should have said that earlier. Since you had surgery, check with your physical therapist or doctor before following any of the replies here, including mine.

If you hunch your shoulders, then the muscles that raise the shoulders (upper trapezius, levator scapulae) are tight. Working tight muscles makes them tighter, so exercises like shrugs & farmer's walks are the last things you want to do at this point. The best solution for fixing raised shoulders is to stretch the tight muscles often. I would do the following stretch hourly for 20+ seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jiq1WbdfkE

Using a massager may help too, and this belt technique may help keep your shoulders down (but it's not a substitute for stretching):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABEA0dcjsUc

Your shoulders will almost certainly rise up too much on most upper back exercises.. which is bad form.. so i'd wear the belt while doing them, as a reminder to keep them down.

What were you doing to keep strong before the surgery?