Half marathon help

Options
I'm running the half (or plan to) on Oct. 12 for the first time. Due to a crazy schedule next week, I will only be able to do one shorter run and my long run. I'm using the Hal Higdon novice 1 plan and I'm on week 6. I'm not planning to do the 5k race option like his plan recommends. Instead I was going to run 4.5 miles during the week and then run 6 miles for my long run. Do you think this is a good idea? I'm nervous about not following the plan exactly and then not being able to complete the half in October. I like having extra weeks to do-over, just as confidence builders, but I'm running out of extra weeks. I took 6 days off last month due to illness. I returned to the plan full force no problem, but I'm nervous nonetheless. So will one screwy week blow me off track?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The plans are guidelines, not scripture. Life intervenes for most of us so just remember that the goal is progressively increasing distance to condition yourself for race day. There is no need for overly stressing about a missed run or mixing things up a little.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
  • thesmallestpineapple
    Options
    As long as you're loosely following the plan you'll be fine on the day. Just try to do as many as possible of the long runs, shorter weekday runs are less of a problem to skip if you need to miss them now and again.

Don't panic... you can do this.
  • JenJenJenny81
    Options
    Thank you for the vote of confidence! I have a little extra time padded into my schedule. I just always get nervous that when I don't run, I'll lose my ability to run!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    As long as you're loosely following the plan you'll be fine on the day. Just try to do as many as possible of the long runs, shorter weekday runs are less of a problem to skip if you need to miss them now and again.

Second vote here for not skipping the long runs. If something else comes up you can skip a shorter run but make sure you get those long runs in. Keep working on it.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    What the other posters said... just keep putting in as miles as you can... I would try to get in at least one ten mile run before your race.... you will be fine.... better to be a little under-trained than over-trained....
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

Second vote here for not skipping the long runs. If something else comes up you can skip a shorter run but make sure you get those long runs in. Keep working on it.

+1 on all of this. Just remember that the Higdon is a "plan" and sometimes you have to roll with the punches. If you have to miss a run during the week, that's fine. Just try to make sure to get your long run in. If you can get a few 8-10 mile runs in before race day, you'll do just fine. You still have almost two full months to train and get ready :).