Need to settle this once and for all!

Options
I am 21, female and weigh 57 kg. My BMR is roughly 1319 and I go to the gym 6 days a week. I burn roughly 350 calories each time I'm there.
My question is; if I'm eating my BMR (minimum calories) do I need to eat back my 'burnt' calories?
Thanks.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yes, you should be eating at least a portion of them back. I don't know how you are getting your burn estimates (MFP, HRM, Machine, etc), so the amount would vary based on that... if you are using a HRM, you would be safe to eat them all, if you're using MFP's estimate or a machine, eat about half of them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes at least 50% of them because it puts you net at about 1k and min for a woman unless under medical supervision is 1200.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    "Need to"? No. If you want to follow the MFP plan as programmed, it assumes you will do so and still lose weight at the speed you selected, assuming all the estimates are close enough for you including your intake tracking.

My intake level while dieting is usually around or below my BMR and I'm not ravenously hungry. I know my body needs the deficit to tap those fat stores and it's not that steep a deficit for me, maybe 500 calories a day max. But I have about 30 lbs. more fat than you, too, assuming similar height.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    why are u eating at BMR? Arent you ravenously hungry?

This.
    Your BMR is the amount of calories your body uses to stay alive.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

This.
    I eat well under my BMR and am not ravenously hungry.

Presuming fat stores, why do the calories your body uses to stay alive need to come from food?
  • randomtai
    Options
    Not worth it. :laugh:
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to eat at BMR. You're supposed to eat at TDEE -20-25%
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I normally eat above my BMR these days, as it's not very high and I'm generally pretty active, but I don't find it makes me ravenous on less active days when I don't and did not back when I was less active and ate under my estimated BMR regularly.

You can have an overly aggressive deficit without being under BMR and a perfectly reasonable one while eating under BMR.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    A common response when a position can't be defended.

My BMR is supposedly 2400ish. Given 31 calories per day per pound of fat, my bodyfat can provide 2600ish calories. I could not eat a thing and my body would still have the energy to sustain my BMR. Why, in such circumstances, would my eating below BMR be an issue, in and of itself?

As far as the OP, she appears to be about 5'4" and 125 pounds. I don't know how that translates into body fat percentage or amount of fat, but if she has bodyfat that can provide the difference in energy between what her body needs and what she eats, why is that an inherent problem?
  • randomtai
    Options

My BMR is supposedly 2400ish. Given 31 calories per day per pound of fat, my bodyfat can provide 2600ish calories. I could not eat a thing and my body would still have the energy to sustain my BMR. Why, in such circumstances, would my eating below BMR be an issue, in and of itself?

As far as the OP, she appears to be about 5'4" and 125 pounds. I don't know how that translates into body fat percentage or amount of fat, but if she has bodyfat that can provide the difference in energy between what her body needs and what she eats, why is that an inherent problem?

princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif?w=594
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

This.

Presuming fat stores, why do the calories your body uses to stay alive need to come from food?

Even if you don't "feel" hungry...I assure you that your body is hungry. You need to eat at least your bmr to get the nutrients your body needs to function properly. But I'm sure you know better so carry on.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

BMR? Or do you mean TDEE?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

This.

Even if you don't "feel" hungry...I assure you that your body is hungry. You need to eat at least your bmr to get the nutrients your body needs to function properly. But I'm sure you know better so carry on.
    What nutrients do you presume I am not getting and in what ways do you presume my body isn't functioning properly?

Do you have any cites that show that BMR must be met in order to assure sufficient nutrition?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

BMR? Or do you mean TDEE?
    BMR. The discussion was about eating less than BMR. I presume anyone trying to lose weight is eating below TDEE.
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1058378-oh-noes-i-am-eating-below-my-bmr

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1072049-thoughts-on-tdee-calculators-and-switching-from-mfp-to-tdee

Also am unsure what you mean by settle this once and for all, your TDEE and BMR changes over time depending on changes such as activity, adaptions etc what was the question again?

ETA: Oh do you eat back your exercise calories, well it is suggested you eat back half and monitor the results and adjust accordingly, as exercise cals burnt are often overstated...It is very dependent on the individual.

The links I provided covers it much better than I ever could.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

This.

From the "oh noes" link referenced above:

"Having a large deficit can well be an issue, depending on the context, and having a very low calorie target may be, due to macro and micronutrient requirements, but eating below your BMR...well, there is no evidence to support that."
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's a good question and asked a lot. MFP should be more clear about it.

They vary your calorie amount depending on how much exercise you say you do, but then when you enter exercise, it gives you more calories. It seems odd!

Everyone has a different answer, usually Yes, No or Eat half. I've seen people say they eat some other percentage, too.

I vary. Little exertions like walking or lifting weights -No, it doesn't make me hungrier. Hard swimming - Yes, I will want more food, so I'm eating more.

You have to do what works for you. :)
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    OP pay attention to your rate of weight loss and energy levels and overall health, I highly recommend weight training to maintain as much LBM as possible whilst being at a calorie deficit.

Here is a cut 'n' pasta from one of the links I provided as a general guide for rates of weight loss...

General recommendations for weekly weight loss goals should be based on a number of factors, the main one of which is how much weight you have to lose. The more weight that you have to lose the less severe the negative impact of being at a calorie deficit will have generally (see below for examples).

As a rule of thumb, the following weekly targets would give a balance between minimizing these negative side effects and seeing a reasonable weekly weight loss:
    More than 75 lbs: 2 lbs/week
    40-75 lbs: 1.5 lbs/week
    10-40 lbs: 1 lb/week
    Less than 10 lbs: 0.5 lb/week

Obviously, the deficit that is right for you will depend on your personal circumstances and how well you deal with the deficit. For example, for someone who is morbidly obese, the health benefits of getting the weight off quickly will often outweigh the possible negative impact and, as such, a higher than 2 lb a week deficit may well be appropriate.