Psyllium, otherwise known as "I think I'm gonna puke"

Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Umm, since your diet is highly restricted and there are a lot of thing you do not eat, you should be aware the fiber, specifically psyllium MAY, if taken excessively, affect the absorption of protein, minerals and vitamins. Don't take too much.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Give it up....if it makes you want to puke try another direction of getting fiber...sweet potatoes, legumes of all kinds, and veggies of all kinds.
  • Carol_Magee
    Carol_Magee Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Tomato juice will keep it suspended.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    This is all great advice, thanks! I've recently started adding chia seeds into my diet, as well as hemp seeds. I already eat plenty of vegetables, which is where the majority of my carbs come from. I eat a piece of cheese every day, so I do get some saturated fat, which I'm going to cut out. I'm thinking of switching my eggs in the morning to a smoothie so I can stuff the psyllium in it, That will also cut out the saturated fat from the cheese and the eggs plus I can add the chia seeds, too.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I forgot you can also add it to yogurts, and other drinks of your choice. That's written on the box at least... :3
  • marinashakeel
    marinashakeel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    So despite having a good BMI, not being overweight, almost never eating fried foods, no red meat, no meat really other than fish, lots of veggies, low to no saturated fat, I've been diagnosed with high cholesterol. My doctor says I can try adding fiber to my diet. With almost no bread products, he thinks I might not be getting enough fiber. So, since I don't want to eat more whole wheat anything because I'm on a low carb diet, and since the other products are basically chemical s**tstorms, I decided to try psyllium. My question is, how the hell am I supposed to choke it down? You mix it in water, it doesn't dissolve, so you have to chug this stuff and it starts to concentrate at the bottom of the glass and then you feel like you're going to puke it back up. Any ideas? What can I stuff it in so I can actually choke it down? I need to get down at least 2 tablespoons a day.
    /
    disolve it in a glass of milk.. that ought do it,
  • nchrty
    nchrty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There is a clear psyllium product out there that you absolutely will not taste or see when you add it to liquid. Try that?
  • drbiayasmin
    drbiayasmin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i add a little bit to half a cup of yogurt, add a little water to make it less thick, mix and eat it like a yogurt snack. It makes it easier to go down though it takes longer than mixing it in water and chugging down which makes you want to puke.

Another alternative is to put a spoon of dry psyllium in your mouth and take water and just drink it down.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    The cheese isn't enough to impact your cholesterol level. Go ahead and keep eating it.

Cholesterol is excreted in bile in response to fat intake in the diet, to help you digest fats. Those fats, cholesterol from food, and the cholesterol from the bile are then absorbed from the gut back into your body. A good portion of your cholesterol is recycled this way from the cholesterol you just secreted in the bile to digest the fats.

By eating fiber, your food stays in your gut for a shorter period of time, so there is less time to absorb cholesterol (whether from food or recycling from bile). This is why any food high in fiber gets labeled as "lowers cholesterol"--you poop more often, so you dump cholesterol more often. This is also how the cholesterol drug "cholestyramine" works.

Eating a little bit of fat (hello cheese!) is what stimulates you to excrete bile in the first place. The cheese is more fat than cholesterol, so on balance you're excreting more cholesterol in the bile than you are gaining by eating the cheese. If you can reduce the amount of that bile-cholesterol that your body reabsorbs, by pooping more often because you have fiber in your diet, then the cheese may actually incrementally help you dump more cholesterol.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    PS: ask your doc if s/he thinks you should take niacin supplements. There are certain forms of high cholesterol that improve when people supplement niacin--but others don't.
  • Stacius
    Stacius Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    This is what I do with my psyllium.

Get a glass of water. Add a little bit of concentrated orange juice for flavour, but not enough that it turns into a drink. Add 3 tablespoons of psyllium. Stir. Drink as fast as you can. If there is some globs at the bottom of the glass add a little bit more water. Should take no longer than 20 seconds to drink.