Should I Get A Kinect?

Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I really want one. It would be for the days I don't go to the gym and stay at my boyfriend's apartment, since he has the xbox. I just want something we can do together, besides sitting around watching netflix. So my questions are…

- How much space do you really need? I am 5ft, so for me it might not be such an issue, but my boyfriend is 6ft 2.
- Is it good for a calorie burn?
- What games are fun?
- What games will give you a good burn?
- Are you glad you bought it?
- Is it worth the money?
- Do you get bored with it easily?

I know it’s a lot of questions, but I don’t really like spending so much money on something I haven’t played myself.

Replies

• juliecool52
    juliecool52 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes! Yes! And YES! I love mine. I have the game Dance Central and it's so much fun I don't even think about exercise. Plus I'm building up my dancing skills.

Good luck ;0)

Julie
  • AimsMac
    AimsMac Posts: 18
    Hey!

We got the kinect and I have been doing the Dance Central as a workout and just got the Biggest Loser for it few days ago... Its a brilliant and fun way to exercise and it really works as the camera tracks your whole body, so it tells u if ur doing anything wrong! Its much more precise than the wii and the games are much better quality.

With regards to room, u need a big enough space lets say 2 steps to each side and back and forth if ur doing it alone. And needs to be a well lit room. I think its great to enjoy with a few people for fun but also if u want to take it seriously and have a proper workout.

Let me know if u got anything else to ask :)
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Definately! We have the Adventures, Zumba, Your Shape and Dance Central.

We've had more fun with Adventures but Your Shape has kicked our butt! I've done Zumba in a studio before, so changing it to a game has been interesting... Dance Central seems like it would be fun, but I haven't have time to really play with it...

1) Yes, you burn calories!
    2) Yes, the games are fun!
    3) I don't regret buying it alt all!!
    4/5) We already had the Xbox, so we just bought the sensor and with it came the Adventures. We had to buy the other three separate. Look for sales on these, sometimes you can get a discount if you but 2 or more (like at Best Buy)...

Hope this helps!!
    Manda
  • wowamom87
    wowamom87 Posts: 63 Member
    Yes get one! I love the dance central game and I pretty much do the Your Shape Fitness Evolved game daily basis because I can't get to the gym. I get a great workout and it tells me how many calories I have burned.
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Yes! Yes! And YES! I love mine. I have the game Dance Central and it's so much fun I don't even think about exercise. Plus I'm building up my dancing skills.

Good luck ;0)

Julie

I think the same thing!!! I love it!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    YES! You need about 6-8 feet back from the sensor, and we just push the couch back when we play. Fun games! You work out without realizing you're working out! LOTS OF FUN! I'm thinking of getting rid of the Wii because now with the Kinect, why would I want to go back to a controller?
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Thanks for all the imput peeps. The only thing that worries me..is the space issues. As the apartment is a bit on the small side. =(
  • Yes definitely! :) I have the dance central and EA active 2, both amazing well worth buying. EA active is more intense and you get a complete workout.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    I really want one. It would be for the days I don't go to the gym and stay at my boyfriend's apartment, since he has the xbox. I just want something we can do together, besides sitting around watching netflix. So my questions are…

- How much space do you really need? I am 5ft, so for me it might not be such an issue, but my boyfriend is 6ft 2.
    - Is it good for a calorie burn?
    - What games are fun?
    - What games will give you a good burn?
    - Are you glad you bought it?
    - Is it worth the money?
    - Do you get bored with it easily?

* With a smaller apartment, it may be tougher, but if you are able to move a coffee table or furniture out of the way easily enough, you can make enough space to play.

* We really love Kinect Sports, Dance Central, and Your Shape: FE. Kinect comes with Kinect Adventures, and the obstacle course will get you moving a bit, too.

* Dance Central, Your Shape, and parts of Kinect Sports will really get you going and burning some calories.

* Very glad I bought it. I was on the fence initially, but decided to jump in and give it a shot. It really is quite a bit of fun, the games do get you moving , and if you ever have friends or family around that don't play games, they may actually love joining in with Kinect. So it is definitely worth the money.

* The games out so far aren't nearly as deep as the really deep hardcore games out there, but they are plenty of fun, and we aren't bored with them at all.

We have really enjoyed our Kinect gaming so far, and I highly recommend it, and the games mentioned above. Having recently bought a heart rate monitor, I'm seeing that the calories Your Shape is saying I've burned are quite a bit less than what my HRM says I've burned. So keep that under consideration if you'll be using Your Shape (or any of the games that are estimating your calorie burns). I really do like the variety of things I can do with Your Shape though.
This discussion has been closed.