Energy Collasped During Workout

Options
Wow... ok... i'm fairly new to the gym and working out. I need to figure out what I need to eat or drink before hand because today for the first time right at the end of my workout, my energy level fell right off the cliff. So bad that I felt had to stop before finishing. It was amazing how fast the crash happened.

I drank a protein shake when I got home from the gym and felt much better almost immediately so ... obviously I need to do something before workout to carry me through.

I see other drinking some kinda energy drinks like Pump HD but I do not believe that fits what I would need. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Trying to learn to do this thing right.

Replies

• cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Personally, I go to the gym right when I wake up. And while I don't usually get hungry until an hour or two after I wake up, I definitely feel better and have more energy for my workout if I eat something before I go in. My choice is usually a complex carb and a protein. Fruit and string cheese are my go-tos.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I need something fairly substantial in my system before a workout or I feel weak as all-get-out and am likely to get woozy. So usually I work out about an hour after breakfast, which usually consists of eggs over easy, toast, jam and bacon ... oh, and 4 cups of coffee :bigsmile: Pre-workout food doesn't have to be fancy or marketed as such, it just needs to be whatever makes you feel and perform your best in the gym. Try something lighter - half a bagel with PB and some fruit, for example, and see how that works. Tweak as needed!
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    In the mornings if I am doing any type of cardio or non-lifting exercise here my stomach might bounce around I can't eat anything or I start to feel like I might lose it. When it comes to weights I can usually handle some toast and nut butter or maybe a egg sandwich. i don't have time in the morning for a big meal so I make it small. I also drink a mix of UCAN and protein powder so I have some carbs and protein to get me through.

Not for everyone but I do actually feel more energized when I use a pre-workout. I don't handle caffeine crashes well so I have to have the unleaded variety.

You will probably have to experiment a little bit to see what is right for you but it sounds like you need something before you go.
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You're right, I wouldn't worry about he fancy energy drinks at this point. Focus on the nutrition from whole foods first. Usually it helps to have food with some protein, a little fat, and some carbs (complex is best but not too high in fiber). It's possible that your glycogen stores got depleted, which caused your energy crash. (Runners can it "bonking" or "hitting the wall.") I've also experienced it in other forms of exercise. Make sure you are properly hydrated and haven't consumed a ton of sugar prior to working out (it will mess with your insulin levels and also can cause the crash.)
    Depending on the workout, soon after you should consume a simpler form of carbohydrate , especially if you did a decent amount of cardio (again, blood glucose related). If you are lifting and want help maintaining the gains you've made, protein is important. If you are going with protein shakes, there are so many kinds out there . From what I understand, a high quality whey protein isolate (not casien blend) is absorbed the most quickly and is most beneficial after workouts. I avoid the kinds with artificial sweeteners, because I just don't trust them...there's been too much press on side effects. I stick with stevia sweetened shakes. (Alternately, some naturally occurring sugar isn't too bad post-workout.)
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Also if you had caffeine earlier in the day and are sensitive to the crash, this could be a cause for the energy drop. I always like a little caffeine pre-workout but have to time it right (45min-1 hr before). Everyone is different though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Wow... ok... i'm fairly new to the gym and working out. I need to figure out what I need to eat or drink before hand because today for the first time right at the end of my workout, my energy level fell right off the cliff. So bad that I felt had to stop before finishing. It was amazing how fast the crash happened.

I drank a protein shake when I got home from the gym and felt much better almost immediately so ... obviously I need to do something before workout to carry me through.

I see other drinking some kinda energy drinks like Pump HD but I do not believe that fits what I would need. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Trying to learn to do this thing right.

Your blood sugar dropped during your workout. It happens more often when folks are just starting, but it can happen to anyone. Your body is still learning to store and mobilize fuel during your workouts. So sometimes this is a one time thing.

I wouldn't overreact to this one event. For now, try to not go too long after eating--try to get 100 or so calories on board--it can be a combo of carbs and protein-30-60 min before your workouts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Also if you had caffeine earlier in the day and are sensitive to the crash, this could be a cause for the energy drop. I always like a little caffeine pre-workout but have to time it right (45min-1 hr before). Everyone is different though.

This too.
  • skylineprints
    skylineprints Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Some very good information shared that makes a lot of sense. The comment "hitting the wall." was spot on because that is exactly what it felt like. Yesterday was the longest work out I have attempted. I usually work out first thing in the morning but yesterday wasnt able to so 2pm was my start. I'll make sure I eat some complex carbs/protein before hand. Didnt like that feeling at all.

Thanks again. Have a Great Day!!:smile:
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    a packet of oatmeal before I go does the trick for me then I have the smoothie when I come home.