time of the month...ladies what exercises should i do?

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    And I really do hate bringing up age but I wonder what the age spread would be between those who view as gross and limiting and those who view it as something natural, normal, and not a reason to change your routine.

And please talk to a doctor before telling people you can catch an STD at a pool. You can't. You cannot catch an STD at the pool.
    My guess is you'd find a lot more young women saying that it's no big deal because they haven't yet experienced what it can turn into later.

Many of us older women were once young women who thought the cramps weren't too bad and the flow wasn't hard to stop and all those women making a fuss were drama queens.

When women get older, they have learned that:
    1). Individual experiences can be very different
    2). The periods change a LOT for some women
    3). Women have vastly different reactions to hysterectomies.

Maybe they won't. Maybe their body won't change and they'll never learn that other people can be different than tehy are and might have an easier or harder time with some things. Maybe they'll maintain a less mature view of the world forever.

But I'd bet that those saying "Periods are no big deal!" will usually be younger women.

There is a difference between not understanding that women have different experiences versus questioning the maturity of someone who refers to a natural part of their body as "icky". No one is saying that women can't have vastly different experiences. But comments about a period being "gross" and thinking that a pool is somehow contaminated and disgusting and STD ridden because women *might* be menstruating while swimming does not strike me as something a woman who has been experiencing monthly cycles for decades would still be all that hung up on. (Not even getting in to what it says about their understanding of biological processes.)
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I just did a powerlifting competition at that "time of the month". Take an NSAID and carry on regardless.
  • EmpireBusiness
    EmpireBusiness Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just did a powerlifting competition at that "time of the month". Take an NSAID and carry on regardless.

See. This is the power of The Secret. You go girl.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

So guys, does anyone ever get cravings and bloating during their period? I've gained like 0.5lb? Anyone else experience this? Wtf?

Let me preface this by saying I am not a doctor. That being said, your symptoms sound excessive. Gaining 0.1-0.2 lbs is typical. 0.5 is downright scary. I would take a pregnancy test, you could just be spotting. If negative, the bloating symptoms tell me you likely have a fatal infectious disease. Accumulation of abdominal fluid would explain all of your symptoms. This CAN be triggered by several very deadly viruses. Don't take these symptoms lightly. You are clearly not healthy. Please seek medical attention immediately, preferably near the CDC and away from me and my drinking water.

The pregnancy thing is literally impossible.
    So...are you saying I'm going to die???

Yup, you're toast. Where should I send the flowers?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Nothing changes for me at TOM. Why shoulld it? If I cant workout during it then I may as well give up. I dont put my life on hold for it. It wouold be like not going to work while having it.

Take a painkiller and keep going. Your not going to die.
  • prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I play some wii games with the the wii fit other than that I really don't want to do a lot of moving around
  • chy82
    chy82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Who actually believes they can get an STD from the pool? There was an Olympic diver that had either HIV or AIDS and he hit split his head on the diving board. They say it is fine because chlorine kills that stuff. Leaking can happen if someone is bleeding heavily but if you change right before you go swimming you will be fine. I can't believe people think women should not swim on their periods. Wow!!!
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing. Who actually believes they can get an STD from the pool? There was an Olympic diver that had either HIV or AIDS and he hit split his head on the diving board. They say it is fine because chlorine kills that stuff. Leaking can happen if someone is bleeding heavily but if you change right before you go swimming you will be fine. I can't believe people think women should not swim on their periods. Wow!!!

This. So many times this. I swim. I've have done for years (on and off). The only thing that has ever stopped me was my motivation - not TOM. I get to the pool. I use the toilets - insert heavy flow tampon. I'm good to go. Never leaked. Not once.

I do get that some women get heavier / more complicated periods than me - I cycle with mine. Most months it just feels like my insides have become extra sensitive to gravity and could fall out at any second - not painful - but a strange sensation. But I do get very painful ones - about every 4 months or so. I just try to carry on as normal. It may mean I don't push as hard when exercising, or if it's a rest day I breath a sigh of relief and grab the duvet and hit the couch. But I don't change my plans because of it.

Sorry if the above is too much info!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ...if you change right before you go swimming you will be fine. I can't believe people think women should not swim on their periods. Wow!!!
    No, if YOU change right before YOU swim, YOU will be fine.

You are one woman. Amongst the millions of women who aren't you, there are some who are different than you are. Their experiences and abilities will be different than yours.

I never said that no woman should swim during their period. I said that I cannot.
  • SinCityFit
    Options
    And I really do hate bringing up age but I wonder what the age spread would be between those who view as gross and limiting and those who view it as something natural, normal, and not a reason to change your routine.

And please talk to a doctor before telling people you can catch an STD at a pool. You can't. You cannot catch an STD at the pool.
    My guess is you'd find a lot more young women saying that it's no big deal because they haven't yet experienced what it can turn into later.

Many of us older women were once young women who thought the cramps weren't too bad and the flow wasn't hard to stop and all those women making a fuss were drama queens.

When women get older, they have learned that:
    1). Individual experiences can be very different
    2). The periods change a LOT for some women
    3). Women have vastly different reactions to hysterectomies.

Maybe they won't. Maybe their body won't change and they'll never learn that other people can be different than tehy are and might have an easier or harder time with some things. Maybe they'll maintain a less mature view of the world forever.

But I'd bet that those saying "Periods are no big deal!" will usually be younger women.

There is a difference between not understanding that women have different experiences versus questioning the maturity of someone who refers to a natural part of their body as "icky". No one is saying that women can't have vastly different experiences. But comments about a period being "gross" and thinking that a pool is somehow contaminated and disgusting and STD ridden because women *might* be menstruating while swimming does not strike me as something a woman who has been experiencing monthly cycles for decades would still be all that hung up on. (Not even getting in to what it says about their understanding of biological processes.)

Yeah, this is the way I was going, with the younger group going icky. I would hope as women age they would view it as natural and not gross and I hope no adult woman out there is going around saying that you can catch STDs at the pool.
  • shapelyJ
    shapelyJ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    well, I have a really bad ToM and I can do nothing for about 3 days. not because im looking for an excuse to get out of exercise, ( I happen to love exercising and addicted) I just flow entirely too much and have to keep my feet elevated. however, I stick to my calorie intake and would die without my mydol. do whatever your body is telling you to do. everybody is different during this time. good luck and I feel your pain.

Not to be a broken record, but go swimming.

For those of you concerned, they have a device that can replace tampons, allows mess-free intercourse and is fine for swimming.

Softcup.jpg

You can read about it here: http://soeasybeinggreen-blog.com/2014/05/ready-ditch-tampons-menstrual-cup-options/

I'd say swimming as well!

I use a Me Luna menstural cup, and it works perfectly. I never have to worry about leakage or forgetting to buy tampons, or not being able to do certain things (like swimming). I don't want to sound like some sales person, but it's really a great option. It's also a lot better for both your wallet and the environment!

10197971-origpic-236ead.jpg
  • EmpireBusiness
    Options

So guys, does anyone ever get cravings and bloating during their period? I've gained like 0.5lb? Anyone else experience this? Wtf?

Let me preface this by saying I am not a doctor. That being said, your symptoms sound excessive. Gaining 0.1-0.2 lbs is typical. 0.5 is downright scary. I would take a pregnancy test, you could just be spotting. If negative, the bloating symptoms tell me you likely have a fatal infectious disease. Accumulation of abdominal fluid would explain all of your symptoms. This CAN be triggered by several very deadly viruses. Don't take these symptoms lightly. You are clearly not healthy. Please seek medical attention immediately, preferably near the CDC and away from me and my drinking water.

The pregnancy thing is literally impossible.
    So...are you saying I'm going to die???

Yup, you're toast. Where should I send the flowers?

I have cramps and I feel fatigued. Should I stay home and eat chocolate on the couch all day?
    Just send the flowers to my work, I live there anyway. Tell my parents I love them.

Cramps may be a sign of kidneys shutting down. Chocolate won't help, but a 50/50 blend of Ensure Chocolate Shake and Vaseline may just be enough to get you through things. As I said, I am not a doctor so obviously I don't care enough to contact your family... unless your will is negotiable. Is it?
  • EmpireBusiness
    Options
    To address one of the commenters and her concerns about possible health problems, I found it necessary to do an in depth inquiry.

Using MayoClinic.Org and their Symptom Checker system, I was able to get some insight.

For the following symptoms: Abdominal pain and cramps, nausea, abdominal swelling, gas, weight change
    Symptoms improved by: Eating certain foods

I was able to narrow the root cause to a few possible options:

Appendicitis, cholecysitis, crohn's disease, celiac disease, diverticulitis, lactose intolerance and colon cancer.

This leads to an interesting question that deserves further review:
    What if women don't have any menstrual pain at all, they are all just lactose intolerant with celiac's?
  • ItsRobyn66
    ItsRobyn66 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Note: When a woman posts a question directed to other women ("time of the month...LADIES what exercises should I do?"), Men, you might want to stay out of the conversation. That is all.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Note: When a woman posts a question directed to other women ("time of the month...LADIES what exercises should I do?"), Men, you might want to stay out of the conversation. That is all.

Note, when posting in a public forum you are posting in a public forum. Besides, it seems that a good number of men here seem to understand biology better than some of the ladies. Knowledge is funny like that, it doesn't seem to divide among gender lines.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    To address one of the commenters and her concerns about possible health problems, I found it necessary to do an in depth inquiry.

Using MayoClinic.Org and their Symptom Checker system, I was able to get some insight.

For the following symptoms: Abdominal pain and cramps, nausea, abdominal swelling, gas, weight change
    Symptoms improved by: Eating certain foods

I was able to narrow the root cause to a few possible options:

Appendicitis, cholecysitis, crohn's disease, celiac disease, diverticulitis, lactose intolerance and colon cancer.

This leads to an interesting question that deserves further review:
    What if women don't have any menstrual pain at all, they are all just lactose intolerant with celiac's?

You can have my dairy when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

Note, when posting in a public forum you are posting in a public forum. Besides, it seems that a good number of men here seem to understand biology better than some of the ladies. Knowledge is funny like that, it doesn't seem to divide among gender lines.

Note, as a woman, I find the boys quite entertaining, but thanks for speaking for me anyways.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    None. You're bleeding and need lots of rest to heal. :flowerforyou:

That was so sweet....coming from a male :tongue: