Granola

Options
Is it REALLY healthy??
I have sweet tooths at night a lot and that's when I use to have my nightly bowl of ice cream or something sweet like that. So I have been having a bowl of yogurt and granola a lot of nights instead. It really helps me. But it's pretty high in sugar! So... is it ok or am I satisfying my sweet tooth the wrong way?? Is there a more healthy brand??
Thank you!!

Replies

• beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    Good question! Here to see the responses... I love granola, too but it's so high in cals half the time. I've switched to cereal with yogurt and added frozen fruit.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea. What kind of cereal do you like in it?
    Good question! Here to see the responses... I love granola, too but it's so high in cals half the time. I've switched to cereal with yogurt and added frozen fruit.
  • oneof9
    oneof9 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like iceream as well and have a sweet tooth. What I do is get some skinny cow icecream bars, or sandwitches and have one of them. The WW brownies aren't bad either. I just make sure I have enough calories left over to have one.
    The yogert can be as low as 80 calories to as high as 190 calories. Then when you add the granola it goes up even more.
    I hope I helped you out. Thae care and I wish you all the best.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    This is just my opinion, but I think it can be healthy in moderation. If the sugar is low and from a natural source like honey, the whole grains(and dried fruit or nuts) can be a healthy for you. You just have to watch for all the added sugars(and salt) and how much or what kind of oils are in the granola.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Yes, thank you!! I am making a list of sweet tooth snacks and that is a great one. I use to eat those when I was doing ww a long time ago and forgot about them. The skinny cows are really yummy!
    I like iceream as well and have a sweet tooth. What I do is get some skinny cow icecream bars, or sandwitches and have one of them. The WW brownies aren't bad either. I just make sure I have enough calories left over to have one.
    The yogert can be as low as 80 calories to as high as 190 calories. Then when you add the granola it goes up even more.
    I hope I helped you out. Thae care and I wish you all the best.
  • kittyb1
    kittyb1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi Mandy....here is a link to a great bog Iike about being healthy and active that has some GREAT lower-carb recipes (including a granola that you will love and chocolate zuchini brownies). The recipes for both of these should be right on the page that I've linked you too.
    Cheers,
    Kitty

http://www.nourishedfitness.com/2010/07/18/have-your-muffins-granola-and-eat-them-too/
  • delliam
    delliam Posts: 16
    Options
    Im a big fan of sweets also. But I hv been substituting Greek yogurt mixed with fruits (sugar free) or fresh fruits. It helps alot! I love Greek Gods Yogurt,we have it here in TX. I found its delicious with fresh cubed nectarines, blackberrys,peaches,so much!! Yogurt used to be sumthing i would practically gag at the thought of.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    I get the all natural organic kind so I hope the sugars are natural but I'll take a look at it today. Maybe I will let myself have it once or twice a week and do smoothies or other snacks on other days so I'm not eating it every day.
    This is just my opinion, but I think it can be healthy in moderation. If the sugar is low and from a natural source like honey, the whole grains(and dried fruit or nuts) can be a healthy for you. You just have to watch for all the added sugars(and salt) and how much or what kind of oils are in the granola.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    I didn't think of making my own granola! That blog is great! Thanks a bunch!
    Hi Mandy....here is a link to a great bog Iike about being healthy and active that has some GREAT lower-carb recipes (including a granola that you will love and chocolate zuchini brownies). The recipes for both of these should be right on the page that I've linked you too.
    Cheers,
    Kitty

http://www.nourishedfitness.com/2010/07/18/have-your-muffins-granola-and-eat-them-too/
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    I love that Greek yogurt! I wish it wasn't so much more expensive!! Fruit would be really good in it!! Thanks!
    Im a big fan of sweets also. But I hv been substituting Greek yogurt mixed with fruits (sugar free) or fresh fruits. It helps alot! I love Greek Gods Yogurt,we have it here in TX. I found its delicious with fresh cubed nectarines, blackberrys,peaches,so much!! Yogurt used to be sumthing i would practically gag at the thought of.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi-I love granola and started making it myself recently with natural sugars and Oats. Oats and other grains are super healthy and so are nuts and seeds but definitely make sure to measure your quantities. I can't sit down with a whole bowl of granola with milk, eating it like cereal. But, if I put it on top of my Greek yogurt and measure out 1/8 or 1/4 cup for breakfast or for a snack, it works well within my calorie budget.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    I measure 1/2 cup as it says on the serving size. I could definitely make my portions smaller with that though! :)
    Hi-I love granola and started making it myself recently with natural sugars and Oats. Oats and other grains are super healthy and so are nuts and seeds but definitely make sure to measure your quantities. I can't sit down with a whole bowl of granola with milk, eating it like cereal. But, if I put it on top of my Greek yogurt and measure out 1/8 or 1/4 cup for breakfast or for a snack, it works well within my calorie budget.
  • beqy12
    beqy12 Posts: 569
    Options
    That's a really good idea. What kind of cereal do you like in it?

I used honey bunches of oats last time... it was 4g of sugar for a 1/2 cup though. Sometimes I do less... it's really for the crunch more than anything else - the frozen fruit makes it sweet. I've found that frozen strawberries - even by themselves, kill my sweet tooth cravings the best.
  • Sunfreeflower
    Sunfreeflower Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love granola (with yogurt) but I only allow myself a 1/4 cup or 1/2 cup a day. It helps me with my sweet cravings. It is definitely healthier than baked goodies or other sweets in my opinion. :D
  • VicentesWifey
    Options
    i have a recipe that calls for sugar free apple juice to make it stick together...has less calories and sugar than the ones with honey or syrups...If you like I can dig it out for you? its super healthy if you wanna eat sweet stuff I will eat a fruit salad when I have a craving or take my yogurts and throw them in the fridge...not a good as ice cream but it works for me....also what about a piece of gum? I use gum to help with cravings??
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I get back to nature orignal granola and I mix it in with a carbmaster yogurt and it is so heavenly! Other than that I would make my own but the organic without salts added.