Too hard on myself

Options
I have been "dieting" since May of 2007. I have lost probably about 50 pounds at now, although my weight fluctuates all the time because I drink so much water. I am really proud of myself and what I have accomplished and do not consider myself overweight or even average....people actually call me "skinny" which is a new thing for me!

Here's the problem:
I'm boring and bored and don't life a FUN life anymore. I feel like I am obsessed with food and have toe at my specific meals all the time and never want to go out or do anything because i'd rather eat at home. It is getting LAME.

I am not overweight...why do I eat all this diet food/why am I on a diet? I am fine with the way I am and don''t want to lose more weight...i just am PETRIFIED of gaining it all back.

HELP ME! I don't know what to do. I want to live again and eat normal food...I just CAN'T! :(

Anyone else going through something similar?

Thank you :)

Replies

• kristineh86
    Options
    I have been "dieting" since May of 2007. I have lost probably about 50 pounds at now, although my weight fluctuates all the time because I drink so much water. I am really proud of myself and what I have accomplished and do not consider myself overweight or even average....people actually call me "skinny" which is a new thing for me!

Here's the problem:
    I'm boring and bored and don't life a FUN life anymore. I feel like I am obsessed with food and have toe at my specific meals all the time and never want to go out or do anything because i'd rather eat at home. It is getting LAME.

I am not overweight...why do I eat all this diet food/why am I on a diet? I am fine with the way I am and don''t want to lose more weight...i just am PETRIFIED of gaining it all back.

HELP ME! I don't know what to do. I want to live again and eat normal food...I just CAN'T! :(

Anyone else going through something similar?

Thank you :)
  • dachinababe
    Options
    kristine, i have the same issue as you. even though i havent lost as much weight as I want but I have always been healthy. life is more than just the food you put in your mouth and the number on ur scale. eating healthy healthy shouldnt be a burden, it should be something we embrace. you are a beautiful girl, try not to obsess so much. i know it's easy for me to say but it's hard to do. May be we both should find interesting hobby so we wont be too obsessed about it. Be proud of who you are, be happy with your body. hope this helped at least a little
    :flowerforyou: have a good week
  • Fitztay
    Fitztay Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi Christine - I recommend to things to help you achieve balance.
    Find a new outlet - maybe it's running, or pilates, etc...find something you love and do it w/a group so you meet other folks w/the same passion as you.
    Embrace your love of food - so what if you think about it all the time? So do most of us. And one of the biggest pitfalls to ruining a good diet day is going out to eat - I dread it to and, in fact, when I do know I'm going to a dinner, etc..., I plan for it by watching what I eat before the outting and exercising before hand because I know that I'll indulge at the restaurant. But it's NOT a big deal - trust me.
    In addition, there are many, many other things you can do w/friends other than eat. Take walks together, go shopping, check out new places. All of my friends know me as the outdoor girl - I ALWAYS set up dates w/my posse :) that gets us outdoors. This way we move around and I'm not tempted to eat a double cheese burger :)

Bottom line - don't be so hard on yourself. You sound normal to me :)
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    this summer was actually kind of rough on me even though I didn't let anyone see it... i scheduled my entire life around food. when i could eat, what i could eat, and how much i could eat. if i didn't know what was in my food, i would FREAK! therefore, there was hardly any going out to eat for me and my friends constantly made comments about my food choices. that, in turn, made me even more obsessed about what i put into my mouth (why? i have absolutely no idea.)

don't get me wrong, i was eating enough. and i was also eating healthy. i think i just didn't trust myself to make the correct choices if left to my own vices.

i'm being forced to get back into the swing of things due to school starting back up and actually having no time to revolve my life around food :happy: it's actually a little bit scary for me, but I know i'll be okay. :happy: the occasional pizza or ice cream is not going to sabotage my weight.

number one thing: TRUST YOURSELF! if you have lost over 50 pounds, you now know what your body should and shouldn't have. keep moving and exercising. you'll be just fine.
  • kristineh86
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful advise! It is nice to know there are others going through similar issues...I guess that is all part of the dieting world!

I call for a national splurge day for all people who are "hardcore" dieters to eat whatever they want for 1 day.. I think it should be a holiday. Anyone else agree?! hehe
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You worked so hard to be happy with yourself and lost 50 lbs (WAY TO GO!) and now you're there!!! Eating out and enjoying yourself won't hurt you...if done in moderation. Know how much you can eat to maintain your weight and stick to it... You can still go to restaurants and eat healthy!!! Like others have said though, going out with friends doesn't "have to" be just to eat, although that's what my friends and I always do...LOL. Just do what makes you happy....you've worked so hard to be healthy and happy, now BE HAPPY!!!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Dani :)
  • EllaBella
    EllaBella Posts: 140
    Options
    After the amount of time since you first started changing your eating habits a.k.a. "dieting", you surely have had some ups and downs with your weight that was caused by food instead of water. Your body has become "acclimated" to your new eating style and will tell you when enough is enough, it will tell you when to stop. Your mind is already working overtime in this area--let your body tell you now. Rely on it and give your brain a rest!! Believe me, your mind will kick in and say "isn't that enough?", but use your body signals. Eat very slowly--chew your food thoroughly--drink plenty of liquids while eating--purposely sit down to eat, never in front of the tv--decide when you go out that you'll order what sounds appealing to you but remind yourself that you do not have to eat it all in one setting...doggie bags!! Cut your portions in half in restraunts...take the other half home. Experiment at first, watch the scale--see your limits and then ENJOY LIFE!! Congratulations on your weight loss!!
  • kristineh86
    Options
    Thank you all for your help!! I really appreciate it!!