Adjusting to the new me and subsequent problems

Options
allycolli
allycolli Posts: 28 Member
While I'm excited to be healthier and smaller, some issues have cropped up that I'm dealing with and I'd appreciate feedback for others who are experiencing the same thing.

1. I've heard a lot of comments recently about my weight loss. Sometimes, it's nice to hear, but it's also disconcerting at times. See there are women who are uber friendly to me now who had ignored me before. When I mentioned this to my trainer, he described it like this - when I was heavier, these women thought I was beneath them, then when I started to lose weight, they thought I was cute, but now, well, I'm just a threat.

2. I can't stop looking in mirrors and glass doors at myself because I don't recognize myself. When I was ironing a pair of pants the other day, I wondered how I even got into those pants. I'm struggling with the reality of my new body and wonder when my brain will know me again. When shopping, I keep reaching for larger sizes and don't know my dimensions anymore. It's so weird.

3. Men. I don't know what to do with the attention. I've been heavier most of my life and have never caught the eye of many guys. I've been happily married for over 2 decades, so I'm not looking around. However, there are forward guys out there. It makes me so uncomfortable and awkward. At the health club, I just want to workout and not get sideways looks or be called baby doll, sigh.

4. When will I know when to stop losing? I'm not at my goal weight yet, but I wonder if I'll ever get to a place where I'll feel that I can ease back and move into maintenance. I've tentatively thought that I would keep up my regime until the end of the year and then move into the next phase in January. However, will I be able to switch gears and accept my body as it is without feeling like I'm still not there? Is it unrealistic to keep reaching for more tone and muscle?

I never thought I'd have these problems to deal with. I've come to realize that losing weight is more of a mental game than I thought possible.

Replies

• allycolli
    allycolli Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bumping this since I posted it late last night and would really love feedback from others.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat, I don't recognise myself, I get treated differently to when I was heavier and I just don't know when to stop with the weight loss! You're not alone in feeling like this!
  • DSFfit
    DSFfit Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I certainly understand this. Since I have lost some weight I notice that I get better treatment and eye contact from store employees and other random things. The service manager (male) where I got my car serviced actually flirted with me and winked at me the other day. It was weird because I don't know how to respond having gone decades as the ignored and even despised fat woman in these types of situations. I also feel a bit of anger towards the superficiality of it all. I am thinner but still the same great person I always was.
    There is definitely a psychological adjustment to make to having a different look. I think it takes time to get used to the new reality.
    Congratulations on your new healthier body!
  • djpro1337
    djpro1337 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. Not sure what to advise on this, except just focus on you and your goals. I'm tunneled vision on myself and my goals. I don't care if people are friendly or not, or see me as a threat or not. I've got goals to accomplish and a workout to crush. If you're not helping or encouraging me, bye. That's my thinking.

2. It's normal to look at yourself, and that's truly you, enjoy it. I looked at myself constantly as my body was changing. Sometime it is hard to believe because of all the changes you made, but just be proud that you look like that from hard work and sacrifice. It's funny because I use to buy larger clothes as well, and it was a transition to figure out my real size. I know the feeling there!

3. That must be a weird feeling. I use to work out publicly, and I know the feeling of those sideways looks. No one called me baby doll :). That would've been weird. I would tell them frankly, "My name is not Baby Doll, it's Ally (that's your name?)." Assertiveness is recognized. If these problems persist, you have 2 options: you can tell management about it so they say something to them, or you can just flip out in them one day. Get loud, cuss, and call them bad names in front of everyone. No one wants to mess with a crazy woman. But if you're attractive, get use to it.

4. I always went for a certain look rather than a certain weight. Once you are satisfied with the way you look, eat for maintenance calories. It's not wrong to push for more definition and tone. I just posted a before and after in success stories, and I look like I've accomplished it all, but I'm pushing to have better lower abs. Honestly, you might never be done (I feel like I'm never done), and that's good because you're pushing to be better and setting higher goals.

I hope this helps, and if you need anything else, feel free to message me. :)
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Being healthy, thinner, fitter are admirable goals. Achieving those goals may have unintended consequences.

My wife did not join me on my fitness journey, and her jealousy of the time I'm taking for myself has been replaced with jealousy of results. I would have thought after 15 years of me as a diabetic, and my heart attack two years ago, on some points she'd be my biggest cheerleader, but that's just not the case. Quite the opposite.

Unwanted attention...That can be a drag. At some point, you just have to accept the human nature of others as long as their nature does not put you in jeopardy.

Self identity. This can take some time. Get to know the new you - your new sizes for everything. Looking in the mirror isn't narcissistic when you are getting used to a major change, but others may catch you when your reflection catches your own eyes. I try to talk to others or call someone on my cell when around reflective glass or mirrored buildings to keep me distracted. You don't want the reputation of the totally self-involved, beautiful person.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I find it hard as well. The psychological aspect of losing weight is the hardest aspect of it i find. I was overweight or obeses since my childhood and now I'm 27 years old and very unsure on how to act or react faced on the situations you described. I'm also having a hard tinme accepting the attention. At the end of the day, I'm still the same girl i was a year ago just a bit smaller and much healthier but the same none the less. It's hard to reconciliate all those perceptions.
    All of this to say you are not alone and i think (hope really lol) it's just a question of getting used to it.
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I could have written this myself.... I get those feelings myself, but it does get easier, I am gradually learning to accept compliments, I am gradually getting more familiar with my new size and I am gradually becoming familiar with my reflection.....

I was told to study myself in the mirror every day, just spend a few minutes a day looking at yourself, familiarising your brain with the reflection of yourself - it is an odd feeling, studying yourself in the mirror, I mean when I was bigger I avoided the mirror as much as possible, now I seek it out and look at myself in my new clothes, because sometimes I still can't believe I can wear the things i'm now wearing.

I am slowly getting used to the idea that I'm no longer too fat or heavy for things, I'm slowly realising that I can fit anywhere and won't break things with my weight and I'm gradually getting used to seeing my collar bones and feeling my hip bones.

I am telling myself that I still have 12lb left to lose, this is because I have decided to lose 12stone (168lb) in 24 months, also because I only wanted to get inside the Healthy Weight BMI range and not become too thin....

I'm not 100% convinced that I will want to stop when I actually get there, but it is something I have promised myself I will do, and looking at myself in the mirror I think that I am going have to stop, because if I go much further I will start to look old, I can already see a bit of a change in my face and I think I am looking a bit older than I'd like - but I will lose these 12lb and see what happens then....

I also know what you mean about people's reaction to you, I have lost a few friends since losing weight, because people don't know what to do with me any more - I have always been the fat lass, people either looked at me with pity or disgust and now I'm almost "normal" those people no longer need to pity or despise me, they have to accept me for me, but not everyone can do that.... I have gained friends too, because I'm fitter and get out more, other fit people chat to me, but prior to losing the weight, those people didn't look at me sideways.

I have been told I've changed (I'm more out going) I've got taller (I stand proud) I'm too lively (because I can't stand sitting about, it drives me nuts).

My world is much bigger and I fit in it perfectly, I'm loving getting familiar with the slimmer, fitter and more lively me.

xXx
  • ekiana123
    Options
    I understand the superficiality that some have, but not everyone is like that. I have acquaintances that were friendly to me and still act the same toward me after the weight loss. As for my attitude toward the superficial ones, I don't think I should change my personality for them. Even at my heaviest, I was always affable and friendly, but at the same time, I wouldn't want them to think my being 'nice' is some kind of invitation. So I think maybe just ignore those people and when you encounter real friendship you wouldn't have to even think about all that stuff, relax and be yourself "D
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    While I'm excited to be healthier and smaller, some issues have cropped up that I'm dealing with and I'd appreciate feedback for others who are experiencing the same thing.

1. I've heard a lot of comments recently about my weight loss. Sometimes, it's nice to hear, but it's also disconcerting at times. See there are women who are uber friendly to me now who had ignored me before. When I mentioned this to my trainer, he described it like this - when I was heavier, these women thought I was beneath them, then when I started to lose weight, they thought I was cute, but now, well, I'm just a threat.

2. I can't stop looking in mirrors and glass doors at myself because I don't recognize myself. When I was ironing a pair of pants the other day, I wondered how I even got into those pants. I'm struggling with the reality of my new body and wonder when my brain will know me again. When shopping, I keep reaching for larger sizes and don't know my dimensions anymore. It's so weird.

3. Men. I don't know what to do with the attention. I've been heavier most of my life and have never caught the eye of many guys. I've been happily married for over 2 decades, so I'm not looking around. However, there are forward guys out there. It makes me so uncomfortable and awkward. At the health club, I just want to workout and not get sideways looks or be called baby doll, sigh.

4. When will I know when to stop losing? I'm not at my goal weight yet, but I wonder if I'll ever get to a place where I'll feel that I can ease back and move into maintenance. I've tentatively thought that I would keep up my regime until the end of the year and then move into the next phase in January. However, will I be able to switch gears and accept my body as it is without feeling like I'm still not there? Is it unrealistic to keep reaching for more tone and muscle?

I never thought I'd have these problems to deal with. I've come to realize that losing weight is more of a mental game than I thought possible.

1. Don't worry about those women, leave them to it, you don't need to entertain their shallowness or insecurities.

2. Nothing wrong with admiring your hard work...just like anyone else would whatever their accomplishments are! You will get mentally used to your new size/body in time.

3. Ignore the attention if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I imagine it's just beacuse you're not used to it...you never know you might even enjoy it in the future?!

4. No it's not unrealistic to keep wanting more muscle/definition, it takes years to build alot of muscle anyway. If that's what you want go for it...you may even find that your focus on the scale won't matter anymore as you'll concentrate more on gains and losing fat instead of just weight

Congrats on your hard work OP, keep at it! :wink:
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It's totally mind blowing how people have reacted to me based on weight, which has fluctuated over the years due to medications and other issues. Everyone has an opinion, it seems sometimes. Well, what I plan on doing during my most recent & significant loss is paying it no mind. Wear the cloak of life loosely. Weight isn't static and you're entitled to change yours on your timeline to suit your comfort level and no one else's. Good luck to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!