Starbucks NONO!

Options
Woooooooooooooooooow just added a chai tea latte w/ skim milk to yesterdays food journal and I couldnt believe the calories and sugar!! Grrrrrrrr i thought I was making a smart decision!

Grande: 200 calories and 42 GRAMS OF SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I had a kick *kitten* workout!

Replies

• wibblewobblekaz
    wibblewobblekaz Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Don't think starbucks has any healthy stuff, unfortunately as they are tasty, not to worry tho x
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Not true a non fat sugar free latte is 80-120 calories or a regular coffee with splenda and skim milk.... Those are healthier choices.
  • Christin09
    Christin09 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I usually get an unsweetened iced green tea and put a packet of Splenda in it, its really delicious! ZERO calories :drinker:
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    a misto or SF skinny latte is ok, under 100 cal each:drinker:
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I always stick to regular coffee for that very reason! Can't beat 5 calories in a medium coffee!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Woooooooooooooooooow just added a chai tea latte w/ skim milk to yesterdays food journal and I couldnt believe the calories and sugar!! Grrrrrrrr i thought I was making a smart decision!

Grande: 200 calories and 42 GRAMS OF SUGAR!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness I had a kick *kitten* workout!
    I worked there and when we were slow id whip out the calorie book and even tho i didnt care then I still thought "my god thats as much as a big mac!!!!" I mindlessly downed those things then, now its a rare treat in tall sugar free soy form!!!!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If you like the Chai Tea Latte, try my trick. I order a steamer (non-fat milk) with a chai tea bag (zero calories). I add a sweetener or two and I'm off -- delicious and counts only as nutritious skim milk!
  • AznKimi
    Options
    Your best bet is to buy some Chai tea bags and double brew the bag, add splenda to your liking and add your milk/almond silk/soy.
    I used to work at Starbucks, and found a few ways to get around the cals. lol.
    Goodluck!

::edit::

Just saw that someone else had a similar answer. =P
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    If you like the Chai Tea Latte, try my trick. I order a steamer (non-fat milk) with a chai tea bag (zero calories). I add a sweetener or two and I'm off -- delicious and counts only as nutritious skim milk!

Wow thats awesome!!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Most of my Keurig K cups are 0 calories or at the most 10 calories. They come in MANY flavors, including espresso ones, kahula, caramel, etc. . . It has saved me SO much money vs going to Timmy Ho's or Starbucks every day!! Just an idea :)
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I usually get me a white mocha.... bet that has loads of sugar.... but I get 4 shot of espresso, that sure cuts down on the milk
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    Most of my Keurig K cups are 0 calories or at the most 10 calories. They come in MANY flavors, including espresso ones, kahula, caramel, etc. . . It has saved me SO much money vs going to Timmy Ho's or Starbucks every day!! Just an idea :)

I love my Keurig -- steam a cup of milk, add some sugar-free espresso syrup, toss an espresso k-cup in and voila ... instant delicious latte! Yummo!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

I used to work at Starbucks and this is exactly what I do! Someone else has said that as well.

There are plenty of things to order that won''t bust the calorie bank. As someone pointed out already, tall skim misto or skinny latte is only 100 cals. In the summer I get iced americanos and add a tiny bit of half and half (a little goes a LONG way). They have really great iced tea too, but get it unsweetened.

There are a few sugar free syrups if you want something a bit sweeter. Or if you want to splurge, order your drink w/skim milk and skip the whipped cream (ask for foam instead). The Frappuccinos and the "indulgent" hot drinks, espeecially grande size and up, and where you get into trouble calorically. The mocha, pumpkin spice, and chai tea "bases" are all loaded with sugar. It's crazy!!
  • mrniceguy84
    mrniceguy84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tend to get one of the skinnies and dont add anything!!
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    I LOVE STARBUCKS!
    I tend to get Black ice tea unsweetened

I will break down every once in a while and get a skinny mocha frap. I KNOW AWFUL! but i do it as a treat, maybe once every 2 months..
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I always stick to regular coffee for that very reason! Can't beat 5 calories in a medium coffee!

High five for coffee flavored coffee :D
  • TrainerRobin
    Options
    Y'all are going to think I'm obsessed, but as a former Seattle-ite, I love my lattes. But I refuse to let them sabotage my progress so I tote my own sugar free syrups with me. Yep -- I have a little pink flask (three of them actually) that I have in my vehicle. I add whatever I want. Right now, I have white chocolate, peppermint (still hanging on from Christmas) and coconut (I love my mounds flavored lattes). I have only been "caught" once -- some lady in another car saw me pouring "something" from my little pink flask into my latte IN THE MORNING and I'm pretty sure she thought I was a total lush! LOL Oh well. The folks at my local Starbucks just crack up!!

I'm originally from Seattle where every little espresso stand on the corner (except Starbucks) has combinations that I fell in love with: almond joy (chocolate, almond and coconut), snickers, etc. I guess my own little homemade sugar/calorie free additions are the "treat" that keeps me from feeling deprived!

:drinker:
  • Loki182
    Loki182 Posts: 31
    Options

High five for coffee flavored coffee :D

Mmmmm straight black coffee.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think a tall full-fat cappucino is only like 100ish cals! I add a splenda and it's yummo! Get it with 2% and its' less!
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Just a head's up - check starbuck's nutrition page - sometimes the database here is wrong. I had a skinny caramel macchiato this evening - grande is about 140 calories and you'd NEVER think it. The website has a list of "200 calorie & under" drinks also. :wink: