trying to kill the muffin top

Im in fairly good shape (most due to work) except for my recently acquired muffin top. That why I joined my fitness pal. After taking a look at what I eat ive noticed that I consume a lot of carbs and sodium and im not hitting my DV of protein. Could this be where the muffin came from?? Help me kill the muffin

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    No, it came from eating more calories than you burn. Carbs themselves do not cause weight issues unless you have a medical condition, excessive sodium can cause bloat but it's water weight that goes away after a few days, and while being under protein isn't good, it doesn't cause muffin top either.

This is helpful for getting started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Carbs do not cause muffin top.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    Welcome to the site, and glad you were able to get to Texas as fast as you could! You'll find a ton of help and motivation from most everyone here, with one exception. If you think your carbs are too high, and want to try going on a low carb diet, do yourself a favor and find a keto group. Otherwise there will be a lot of hate and rude comments headed your way. Whichever route you choose, set your dietary goals, log your food daily, watch the muffin go away!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Welcome to the site, and glad you were able to get to Texas as fast as you could! You'll find a ton of help and motivation from most everyone here, with one exception. If you think your carbs are too high, and want to try going on a low carb diet, do yourself a favor and find a keto group. Otherwise there will be a lot of hate and rude comments headed your way. Whichever route you choose, set your dietary goals, log your food daily, watch the muffin go away!

Right. Do all the keto you want but it's not the magical cure for muffin top.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Carbs do not cause muffin top.

this.

muffin tops and wearing the wrong size pants/skirt go hand in hand in hand or wearing the wrong style pant/skirt.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Stats would be helpful but it looks like your goal is to lose 34 lbs. If you want to reduce fat, the best thing to do is eat a proper amount of protein typically 1g per pound of lean body mass and lift heavy. Lose weight slowly to ensure you're losing fat and not muscle. Have patience. Fat loss is genetic. You can't spot reduce.

As other have stated, unless you have a medical condition carbs shouldn't be the issue. I eat upward of 300g of carbs most days without issue or excess bloating.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    A muffin top is caused by wearing pants that do not fit correctly. I wouldn't advise that because it looks ridiculous. Wear clothes that fit, ignore the size numbers. Then continue to eat correctly and exercise.
  • urbanelements
    urbanelements Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks! Im not looking to be on a specific diet just thought maybe I had a nutritional imbalance that caused the muffin. Im just going to keep working on it. My job is labor intensive (lifting 50 to 150lbs for 10- 14 hours a day) and my clothes fit well (im not trying to show off this muffin and I need to dress comfortable to do what I do). The muffin literally came out of no where and ive been gaining weight for (what seems like) no reason. Maybe hormones or age? Either way i just want to make the right choices to stay healthy.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    my muffin top is like the Great Houdini, sometimes more visible than other times, especially when I suffer severe bloating.

some people say we have muffin tops because we are wearing the wrong size pants this could be true...or not. I have pants that don't show at all while ohers even one size large still show...

on my bad days, I just wear yoga pants so I don't feel too depressed...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    A muffin top is caused by wearing pants that do not fit correctly. I wouldn't advise that because it looks ridiculous. Wear clothes that fit, ignore the size numbers. Then continue to eat correctly and exercise.

you could be right but...only if clothing makes could consider all shapes....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Thanks! Im not looking to be on a specific diet just thought maybe I had a nutritional imbalance that caused the muffin. Im just going to keep working on it. My job is labor intensive (lifting 50 to 150lbs for 10- 14 hours a day) and my clothes fit well (im not trying to show off this muffin and I need to dress comfortable to do what I do). The muffin literally came out of no where and ive been gaining weight for (what seems like) no reason. Maybe hormones or age? Either way i just want to make the right choices to stay healthy.

Sorry to be blunt, but you're just eating too much.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    As you may have suspected, muffins cause muffin top. If you stop eating muffins, the top will disappear. :laugh:
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member

If you want to lose the Muffin Top, and also fancy sounding like a loon at the same time, it's one of the wonderful side effects of low carb. That and extreme grumpiness, low performance, constipation and sky high food bills.

Anyway, your body fat needs reducing, then you will get the smooth lines back.

Good luck!
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Im in fairly good shape (most due to work) except for my recently acquired muffin top. That why I joined my fitness pal. After taking a look at what I eat ive noticed that I consume a lot of carbs and sodium and im not hitting my DV of protein. Could this be where the muffin came from?? Help me kill the muffin

It is easy to believe we eat less than we do. It happened to me as well. I barely ate, and drank anything...gained TONS of weight. My husband even didn't understand as he didn't think I ever ate either.
    But by logging ALL the food, weighing , and measuring (crucial), I have learned that while the amounts were small, the calorie intake was way to high (harder for me to as I am only 4'11" so don't require many calories being so short=easy to overeat).

If you use myfitnesspal to log honestly, which means getting a food scale and weighing andmeasuring everything, you will lose the weight.

As for the muffin top, everyone gains weight in different areas, yours just happen to be a muffin :laugh: (mine too by the way!)
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    No, it came from eating more calories than you burn. Carbs themselves do not cause weight issues unless you have a medical condition, excessive sodium can cause bloat but it's water weight that goes away after a few days, and while being under protein isn't good, it doesn't cause muffin top either.

This is helpful for getting started: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Concise and to the point. A+ post!
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    PS: While awaiting results from a healthier lifestyle, spanx & similar products are your friends.