Probably a stupid question (it's about protein)...

Does anyone know of any good - tasting whey protein? I know, I know it will have to have sugars. But I'm just not hardcore enough to stomach the nasty stuff! Not yet at least. I really want to start drinking them though bc I never meet my protein goals AND it will help me up my calories!

Any input will be appreciated!!

Happy Sunday fun day all! ????

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    we like pure protein - the chocolate or the vanilla in cans. if you're near a trader joe's they have them cheapest, but other stores carry them.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    What's wrong with sugar?

I like cellucor cinnamon swirl and Trutein peanut butter cup.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    I just use muscletech.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    Pure Protein French Vanilla is awesome...and this is coming from a chocolate lover.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Does anyone know of any good - tasting whey protein? I know, I know it will have to have sugars. But I'm just not hardcore enough to stomach the nasty stuff! Not yet at least. I really want to start drinking them though bc I never meet my protein goals AND it will help me up my calories!

Any input will be appreciated!!

Happy Sunday fun day all! ????

What's wrong with sugar?
  • mfesloca
    mfesloca Posts: 21 Member
    I use the unflavored whey protein isolate from Now Sports. It's just whey protein, so no flavors at all. I mix it with either milk or orange juice and it's pretty tasty.
  • Nothing's wrong with sugar! Just everytime I ask guys in the gym they tell me the only way it will taste good is if it has sugar, and they make it sound like a bad thing :(
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    They all taste a little bad to me but sometimes you just do it. You could always just force down some cottage cheese or something, too, if you have no issues with lactose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Nothing's wrong with sugar! Just everytime I ask guys in the gym they tell me the only way it will taste good is if it has sugar, and they make it sound like a bad thing :(

You're bothered by what 'guys at the gym' say because....?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    They all taste a little bit weird (of course, it's no milkshake/ice cream taste), but many can be palatable, or at least you'll get used to them. I only have a Walmart close enough to me, so I either get the EAS brand in chocolate (I pour it over my Cheerios--reminds me of Cocoa Krispies that way). They have the Pure Protein brand, too, and like others have said, the Vanilla is nice.

The sugar in them is FINE. They're not overly sweet, and some of the sugar comes from the milk (lactose is a sugar) used to source whey protein. You're probably hearing a bit of the "Bro Science" from your gym mates, if they're dissing the small amount of sugar in a whey shake.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Probably bc they are watching carbs. If you are not then it doesn't matter.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    I'm thirding the Pure Protein shakes in the bottle-shaped can. They're a nice, normal consistency, not like protein sludge that a lot of shakes are. I haven't found a powder I really like yet (although the Arnold Series Iron Whey stuff in vanilla that the local nutrition place puts in their smoothies seems to blend well!). Basically they taste like chocolate milk. Or vanilla milk. Tasty!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member

It's important to note though, that there's nothing inherently wrong with them to those without medical conditions, as there's a spiraling misconception that carbs make us fat, etc. So, wanted to clarify there's nothing wrong with it
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I think there are sugar-free whey powders, too, with artificial sweeteners.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    I use Body Fortress Chocolate powder, and I mix it with twice the amount of milk as recommended. Diluted like that, it's pretty good. I definitely don't like it with water though.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    I use Unjury plain unflavored protein and add it to coffee or my morning smoothie.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Trutein tastes incredible.. .I've been using Optimum Nutrition for a while now as well, which also tastes reallllly good.

Do a little bit of digging, most companies that are worth anything have free/cheap samples.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    I get all my protein from things like chicken and peanut butter and other meats and some of your fruits like strawberries have protein though it isn't a lot but it's natural and good for you. I have not tried protein powders or shakes but I haven't had a problem with getting my protein goals and tend to go a little over on them.
  • Thanks for all the advice so far!! I can't wait to hunt around and pick some of these up.

Yeah it may be bro science about the sugars. My bad!