Why am I sore ?

Options
Why am I always sore the day after a workout? Do I really need a rest day if I am working out the same muscle groups.

I love love love power walking and my trainer showed me how to engage my core during a walk so I am not just working my legs and lower body but also arms (and core). Anyway I love it. I get outside, I get sun, I feel tired but energized afterwards. but the next day I am always sooooo sore.

Granted I just started this a week ago, will it get easier? My goal is that every 2 weeks I will increase my route by 1/2mile. I want to be able to bust out a 5mile walk no problem

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You're sore because you just started. Anytime you work new muscle groups (or work them in a new way) you'll have a period of soreness. Should be pretty much over it in another week.

Generally, walking exercises don't require rest days, but if you feel rundown you should listen to your body. Might want to come up with some other activities that you can switch up with (bicycling, perhaps?) so you don't get bored doing the same thing all the time.
  • MelaniaMadison
    Options
    You're sore because you just started. Anytime you work new muscle groups (or work them in a new way) you'll have a period of soreness. Should be pretty much over it in another week.

Generally, walking exercises don't require rest days, but if you feel rundown you should listen to your body. Might want to come up with some other activities that you can switch up with (bicycling, perhaps?) so you don't get bored doing the same thing all the time.

thank you! I def can tell I am "waking up" my body and will hopefully not experience such soreness. The walks are more like hikes, lots of uphill/stairs/ gravel. So my body is feeling it everywhere. And I AGREE, I am going to start pilates and cross training soon
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well done so far :-) your goal of a gradual increase is great. You sound determined and I believe you'll make it. :-)

I love my walks too, they are my main exercise, nothing better for clearing the head.

As for the musclet pain. in the first few weeks just don't overdo it and risk an injury, or getting disheartened. Build in rest days and put in a few different exercises to break the monotony.
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your fitness my friend :-)
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Good for you on your power walking. I too am a power walker and I do so 7 days a week. I am addicted and get a natural high when my legs "kick in." There will be soreness and it is important to listen to your body and rest as needed. I wear compression sleeves when I am at rest and I have even slept in them. They help with shin splints and soreness. I have worn them while walking but I find more relief after a workout. Enjoy your walks.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am not a power walker, but do try and get a good walk in each day. I sometimes have to break my walks into 2 or 3 a day depending on my working schedule. But I listen to my body really well....if it is just saying I'm a little sore this morning, than I know a good walk will flex the muscles back out and I will feel better by the end of my walk....And then there is the "Oh My God, What did YOU Do" Pain that tells me I need to finally throw in a rest day or two and let my body heal. Learning to gage your body pain is an art and will take a little bit to figure out, but do listen to what it is saying.
    Also at this point in time, walking is all I am doing, I love to walk, but I don't take the same route each time and I drive to some awesome places in my community to walk new trails. This has opened up some great new places for me that I did not even know where there. So part of the NOT getting bored with walking is to throw in new sights to see. You are doing great, keep it up.