A Fit-Bit is totally unnecessary...

Options

Replies

• junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Your problem is you're looking at daily comparisons. Don't compare them day to day. Do it weekly or monthly then look at the trend. Just like weight daily numbers may vary widely. You have to look at the big picture.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I like gadgets, including my fitbit.

My fitbit has been one of my most helpful gadgets, but I don't need to use it every day. If it wasn't for my fitbit, I wouldn't have joined mfp 2 years ago and started tracking calories. It has helped me to increase my NEAT on days when I am not feeling well, or I know I'll be too busy to exercise. It's also a tool I use when I go on vacation and want to know how many miles my husband made me walk that day. My fitbit measures my miles quite accurately. I have compared it with GPS readings and found that the mileage calculated is the same.

It's not necessary, but I like it. Peanut butter isn't necessary either, but I'm not giving that up either.
  • feather314
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and I love it!!! But I can agree, different strokes for different folks. I always track my food and water intake in MFP (instead of the FitBit site) and I mainly use it as a motivator. I don't obsess over it and I don't assume it's 100% accurate. For the most part I use my FitBit for step count, distance, and sleep patterns (again knowing that it's probably not 100% accurate).

Yes I always get a little "mental boost" when I hit my goal and the FitBit does it's vibratey alarm thing but it's not the only tool I rely on.

If you're successful without it then thats wonderful - I agree no need to fork over the $100.

For some (like me) it's just the tool to keep them motivated and on track.

Oh and one more note - I did find that the data was better once I synced it with MFP. At least for me.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing- for people like me, who are mostly sedentary, it's a godsend. Why? Because I can't lie to myself about how much activity I got....Honestly, it's been the thing that really got me out of a plateau. Because I'm tracking 24/7 unless in the shower (which is when I charge), I can't lie to myself. Just like how MFP makes it so I can't lie to myself about food, my fitbit means I can't lie to myself about how much I move.

^^This^^ I ignore pretty much everything but the step count, but my fitbit has been so helpful to me. I have become quite the slug in the last few years, so just like measuring my food for MFP keeps me on target with eating, my Flex keeps me moving. My Hubby just got a fitbit, too, so we are now in a fun little competition to see who gets more steps. As a bonus, he now likes to go walking with me.

It's not for everyone, but for our family it's been a great tool. :^)
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like mine, but it took a long time for me to tweak it to where it nearly matches MFP so the two work hand in hand together. It's pretty accurate for mileage counting too. But I don't worry if I miss my goals sometimes and can see how some people may obsess over it. I use it just to keep me honest. I have an Aria too and love how both just come right into MFP so I don't have to worry about logging either.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    ...for me anyway. Recently, I had an opportunity to "borrow" a Fit-Bit for a few days. What I determined is that I will never buy one.

Let me start out by saying: to those of you that utilize them faithfully, I completely respect that and have nothing bad to say about the device. But - for folks like myself, who tend to get a little obsessive, comparing its results from one day to the next and allowing yourself to feel "defeated" if your steps aren't as good, or calories spent aren't as good - don't buy one. I basically found myself beating myself up for not improving from one day to the next. If I would have kept it up, I would have probably given up completely. However, now that I am not using it, I am back to totally relying on MFP, counting calories the same way I was before, and counting exercise the same way I was before, too. And guess what? I'm still losing, and not obsessing.

It really is a nifty little device. It's just not for ALL of us. Just my two cents.

Have a great day!
    So you started a thread to tell us a device isn't necessary for you. Weird

A boat isn't necessary for me either.
  • cventic
    cventic Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I just ordered one from eBay. I love technology. I have insomnia and restless leg syndrome. I'm interested to see how that shows up in FitBit.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    ...for me anyway. Recently, I had an opportunity to "borrow" a Fit-Bit for a few days. What I determined is that I will never buy one.

Let me start out by saying: to those of you that utilize them faithfully, I completely respect that and have nothing bad to say about the device. But - for folks like myself, who tend to get a little obsessive, comparing its results from one day to the next and allowing yourself to feel "defeated" if your steps aren't as good, or calories spent aren't as good - don't buy one. I basically found myself beating myself up for not improving from one day to the next. If I would have kept it up, I would have probably given up completely. However, now that I am not using it, I am back to totally relying on MFP, counting calories the same way I was before, and counting exercise the same way I was before, too. And guess what? I'm still losing, and not obsessing.

It really is a nifty little device. It's just not for ALL of us. Just my two cents.

Have a great day!
    So you started a thread to tell us a device isn't necessary for you. Weird

A boat isn't necessary for me either.

I REALLY wouldn't use a space rocket!
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options

Have a great day!

If you are that obessing about things, you probably just not focus on losing weight but being comfortable with yourself
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    This thread is not solely about me. Point is.. Certain devices may not be for everyone. I've only read the positive stories on here about Fit Bit so I threw my two cents in. Einstein..
  • mundaycarroll
    mundaycarroll Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have recently been playing with the idea of getting one. My mom uses it and she loves her. But I know that I can become a bit obsessive about things too so maybe it's not for me either. Thanks for telling us about your experience with one! :)
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I like gadgets, including my fitbit.

My fitbit has been one of my most helpful gadgets, but I don't need to use it every day. If it wasn't for my fitbit, I wouldn't have joined mfp 2 years ago and started tracking calories. It has helped me to increase my NEAT on days when I am not feeling well, or I know I'll be too busy to exercise. It's also a tool I use when I go on vacation and want to know how many miles my husband made me walk that day. My fitbit measures my miles quite accurately. I have compared it with GPS readings and found that the mileage calculated is the same.

It's not necessary, but I like it. Peanut butter isn't necessary either, but I'm not giving that up either.

I will agree with this. Especially the peanut butter part, but I digress. I used mine faithfully for 6 months. I use it now to track miles as I am not that interested in steps. It's especially nice when hiking. Without it, I would never know that just mowing my lawn makes me walk almost 4 miles. If I can do it pushing a lawn mower - I know I can do it just walking. I do not, however, use it to track food or calories - I use MFP for that.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    This thread is not solely about me. Point is.. Certain devices may not be for everyone. I've only read the positive stories on here about Fit Bit so I threw my two cents in. Einstein..

Cool story, bro.
  • keithaj1
    keithaj1 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm an IT analyst. What I like about the Fitbit is the same thing I like about MFP. It provides data. Data I can measure and use to adjust my goals and record my results over long periods of time.
    Everyone uses these tools differently. For some, these tools are helpful. For others, they can become an issue. To each their own.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Not every tool is appropriate for every person and every goal. Got it.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    This website is also probably not a good idea for those who tend to obsess over every little thing.

Just putting that out there.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Lots of thing are unnecessary...but I still like to do them.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This thread is unnecessary
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A lot of things are unnecessary. I bet OP even has lots of unnecessary things she still uses.