How many calories should I be burning?

Options
2»

Replies

• CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Seriously dude... Take your issues up with Spark People if their calculations are wrong.

Also, maybe get off of the internet and go get some sunshine. Clearly being this involved in posts on the internet is making you crabby. Enjoy your bitterness. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Seriously dude... Take your issues up with Spark People if their calculations are wrong.

Also, maybe get off of the internet and go get some sunshine. Clearly being this involved in posts on the internet is making you crabby. Enjoy your bitterness. :)

I'm not bitter. I just have no tolerance for those who willingly ignore accurate data as you have in your continued use of a flawed calculator ... as pointed out to you by several people here. Your use of "dude" is not something I would expect from an intelligent 40 year old ... it reveals a lot about you.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am walking on a treadmill for 20 minutes and going on the Elliptical for 12 minutes. The machines calculate the calories and that is what it is reading, about 120 calories for both.

That sounds about right. At your weight, 120 calories is about what you'll burn walking 1 mile, and 2mph is a reasonable speed estimate for someone at your weight just starting out.

Ramp up slowly. Stretch the distance out little by little, by increasing speed a tiny bit at a time and going a couple of minutes longer each time.

It'll take a few months, but you can get the burn quite a bit higher than that.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    From what I am gathering from the comments (and please forgive me if i sound stupid). A person that weighs 150 pounds compared to a person that weighs 350 pounds will burn a different amount of calories during the same workout?

The relationship isn't that simple.

Walking/running the same distance, a heavier person will burn more calories.

Walking/running at the same "intensity" for the same amount of time, they will burn about the same.

Walking/running "as fast as you can" for the same amount of time, the smaller person will often burn more if they are fit.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Your numbers are wrong. Significantly over-estimated.
  • slcrane90
    slcrane90 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your input! I actually worked out harder today just from the inspiration of all of your comments! I love the fact that there are so many knowledgeable people on this site!
    Have a great week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stacie