So you can't go to the gym...

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Everyone here is all about heavy lifting. That's nice and all, but what do you recommend for people who can't afford/can't go to the gym?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    build your own at home gym or body weight exerciess
  • Francl27
    Options
    build your own at home gym or body weight exerciess

Guessing people who can't afford a gym membership can't build their home gym either.

What body weight exercises?
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Find your local planet fitness. It's not a real gym and it's only $10 a month so it's quite affordable :) Youll see results faster than using body weight exercises so time shouldn't be an excuse. I realize this doesn't answer your question, but it's worth noting that the benefits of real weights is worth sacrificing time/money elsewhere in my opinion.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    You are Your Own Gym
    Never Gymless
    Strength Unbound
    Nerdfitness
    Convict conditioning

Just a few. There are many more resources.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight workout! It's a great starting point.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I built my home gym by purchasing used equipment. People are almost willing to give that stuff away. I spent $30 at a yard sale and I got an exercise bike, a set of mats, a rowing machine and a set of dumbbells.

There are tons of free exercise videos on youtube.
  • dalesampson1
    Options
    I was about to ask this same question! I live and work in a VERY small town, we have no gyms at all! Nearest town with a gym (if you can call it a gym, my highschool was better 20 years ago!) is 30 miles away. Its all well and good to say goto a real gym like some people have, but for some people thats just not a issue as much as we would like. No way i could i goto the gym 3-4 times a week, that would be 240 miles a week and 4 hours driving just getting there! I really appreciate some of the suggestions given here!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical and a set of dumbbells ranging from 5 - 45 lbs. I do random workout dvds and YouTube workouts. Works well for me.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Go to a playground and use the equipment to do bodyweight exercises. Lots of ideas online, like Pinterest.
    Also, resistance bands are very inexpensive.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You have the internet the greatest source of free information ever known.

My trainer was saying diet is 70-80% of weight loss and now I get what he means.

The Gym you can do yourself. I would suggest getting yourself a gym ball, an exercise mat and possibly some dumb bells, the small one handed ones. The bidydoctor illustrates its all you need.

For resistance work then a lot of exercises are just as good if not better. Google them or go to a library or book stall and see.

For cardio its even easier, walking, jogging or get a bicycle.

For calories loss you just need to move around and expend more energy, walk rather than take the car, use the stairs and not the lift, take up a sport.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a gym membership until 4 weeks ago. I did workout DVDs at home using body weight and dumbbells. You can purchase videos pretty much anywhere, you can also rent them, borrow them from the local library, or do free workouts available online. You can check sites like craigslist for equipment; I recently sold my kettlebells for a very fair price and I have an elliptical I've been trying to sell forever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's a bodyweight group here. I've been reading it with interest and it has some discussion of programs (especially convict conditioning).
  • Francl27
    Options
    Ok I was just wondering, because if you listen to most people here, the only way to get fit and really get results is heavy lifting... and it's not something that is necessarily doable long term, which is why I'm reluctant to start it (plus my gym only has one squat rack).

I'll check those sites mentioned above.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Guessing people who can't afford a gym membership can't build their home gym either.

If you keep an eye out, you can usually find people giving away basic weights sets.

I made my 'power cage' out of wood I had lying around (total cost around £2 for a box of screws - I go for the expensive screws, so didn't need to spend that much either!)

In the past I also made my own 'bench' with a braced 'l' shape that sat on a dinging room chair.

If you can't find weights for free, should definitely be able to find them cheaply.

I got one month's gym membership a year and a half ago for the first time I've got properly serious about lifting weights (rather than ambling around machines etc) - and that was enough to make me realise I should sort out the weights I already had lying around.

Can do a fair bit with body weight too, but, you'll be limited in what you can do as far as legs go for most people - and definitely for men.
    Ok I was just wondering, because if you listen to most people here, the only way to get fit and really get results is heavy lifting
    Not sure people do say this; and you'd have to define 'fit' first. For some people that's being able to run for 50 miles - something that lifting will barely make a dent in. Lifting weights is an excellent tool for getting the body composition most people are after as well as giving functional strength and so on.
  • Cupcake_Kate1990
    Cupcake_Kate1990 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How about jogging or walking?
    A skipping rope is fairly inexpensive and skipping can be a good workout too :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have home gym and bought everything used, cost was very little compared to gym memberships and buying brand new equipment!!! :wink:
  • riotatme23
    riotatme23 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    walk (even a few laps around the mall is something)
    run
    dance
    jump rope ($5 just about anywhere)
    jumping jacks
    take the stairs
    squats
    swim
    yoga at home (youtube is a goldmine)
    stretch even if you're not working out
    clean the house
    lunges
    go on a bike ride
    push ups
    cartwheels

you can do anything, just make sure you're doing something
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I do everything from lifting, cardio to yoga at home. Using my own body's resistance has been the best ever. In addition, I go the park and hit the bleachers. Get creative, where there is a will there is always a way.

Youtube has a tons of videos you can start out with. :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    How about jogging or walking?
    A skipping rope is fairly inexpensive and skipping can be a good workout too :)
    Both fine for cardio. Extended periods of cardio can actually harm not help muscle retention, however.
    And similarly, as far as body composition goes, nothing in riotatme23's list bar maybe the push ups is going to help. And even with push ups, a lot of people will quickly get to the point they're improving muscular endurance, not muscle mass.

Doing 'squats' or 'lunges' with just your body weight always seemed something that at least very quickly should have no effect on someone not overly fat - you're just talking about standing up from a low seat or similar!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Doing 'squats' or 'lunges' with just your body weight always seemed something that at least very quickly should have no effect on someone not overly fat - you're just talking about standing up from a low seat or similar!

That's why you use progressions. A full pushup only has you pushing something like 70% of your bodyweight. Do them in a declining position, headstand, offset, one armed, etc. to progress and build more strength. For squats you can switch over to one legged (Bulgarian split) squats, pistols, etc.