10,000 steps calories

Options
MFP has a glitch so it is not giving calorie deficit for steps via the phone pedometer. So I am trying to work out how to add them manually. Generally 2000 steps = mile = 100 calories. But I can see that MFP has been it more like 40 calories. I know most walking is not at a crisp pace but that still seems like a big drop?

Replies

• gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Get the map my walk app. It syncs with mfp and uses gps to track distance. Or manually enter based on mph walked.
  • emilyGPK
    emilyGPK Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I would rather use the pedometer. I just need to work out what rate to credit it at. It has been working great for me so I just need to find a method to use until they fix the glitch.
  • jay8anks
    jay8anks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps = approx. five miles. I use Cardiotrainer and a mile is always roughly around 100 cals. 5 miles would be roughly 500 cals.

Now this is with an average of 2.5 mph. And it also depends on your stride length. As I have stated multiple times, these are averages. But for Cariotrainer, a mile at 2.5 mph always equals close to 100 calories.
  • momma_hav
    momma_hav Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    And the calories burned would depend on your weight. A 300 lb person would burn more calories than a 15lb person walking the same number of steps
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Walking steps don't require the same energy expenditure as running steps. Caloric burn depends on weight and distance traveled, not necessarily the number of steps.There are many variables in play here.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Incline also matters.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Incline also matters.

Incline matters after a point. The slight inclines most of us traverse don't add a lot and we tend to forget that a while we burn more calories going up hill than on flat that the downhill portion negates a significant portion on most routes.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Is this a walk you did for exercise purposes? Or just daily activity walking? If daily activity, you probably should not log it, IMO.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    MFP has a glitch so it is not giving calorie deficit for steps via the phone pedometer. So I am trying to work out how to add them manually. Generally 2000 steps = mile = 100 calories. But I can see that MFP has been it more like 40 calories. I know most walking is not at a crisp pace but that still seems like a big drop?
    I'm about as overweight as you. Assuming you use the pedometer app all day long, for me, I would consider the first 4000 or so as daily activity and after that log it at 80-100 calories per 2000 (like you said, around a mile). So if I walked 10,000, I'd log 240-300 as 'exercise'.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    20 steps = 1 calorie, seems to ring a bell. Know its approximate, but seems to be borne out by the above feedback of 1000 steps = 1 mile = 100 calories :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Generally 2000 steps = mile = 100 calories.

A mile of walking is only 100 calories if you're 330 pounds.

Scale accordingly.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    1 Mile = 63360 Inches .. so you can determine the distance for your 10,000 steps if you know your stride length.

I always use a formula .. Calorie Burn = 0.3 X weight in lbs X distance in miles (X = multiply).

Thanks .. Mr_Knight above for that formula and it is way more precise than your HRM which will typically be way out for walking, at least in my experience it is.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Scale accordingly.

That .33 multiplier is fishy. I'd love your input on this discussion, Mr_Knight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1392879-using-3-x-weight-for-net-calories-walking
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Scale accordingly.

That .33 multiplier is fishy. I'd love your input on this discussion, Mr_Knight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1392879-using-3-x-weight-for-net-calories-walking

Feel free to conduct your own full study then publish. Until then, the .3 calories per pound per mile is a much closer approximation than the 100 calorie per mile (without regard to weight) and gross calorie reporting calculators (i.e. spark) that fill threads on MFP.