Going on vacation - what's your #1 tip?

Options
So I have been losing weight consistently for the last 7 weeks and now we're going away for 1 week so I'm panicking! We'll be driving 10 hours to our destination, staying in a hotel (so no full kitchen to cook meals), shopping and watching my son's sports team in a tournament. Anyone have any tips????

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Personally I would suggest eating less carbs and more fat in your foods and meals. That should fill you faster, and hopefully help you keep your intake more in line with what you would be happy with. Also consider eating a little more protein, as both fat and protein are a great way to keep your appetite and intake under control :)

I'm eating low carb at the moment, but you don't have to be doing so to follow the above advice, and to be honest would suggest to anyone having trouble sticking to the intake they wish to, to substitute some of the carbs for fat, or increased protein, and see if they can't keep things in hand better that way :)
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Pack some snacks to help you stay within your calories limit and plan ahead for eating out. See if you could find restaurants that post their nutritional information online. Don't stress just do the best you can while having fun.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    make time to exercise an hour a day to at least maintaining. walking/running…or use the gym at the hotel if they have one.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Since you are traveling by car bring along a cooler. Fill it with fruits and cut up veggies & baby carrots. Also pack some granola bars and protein bars. I know a lot of people say stay away from them because of the sugar or to eat "real" food, but thats not always possible when traveling. An apple and granola bar is better than a cheese burger. Also a lot of hotels now have microwaves and fridges so you can make oatmeal or cereal. See if the hotel has a gym or take walks in between games.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Pack some snacks to help you stay within your calories limit and plan ahead for eating out. See if you could find restaurants that post their nutritional information online. Don't stress just do the best you can while having fun.
    This!

Planning ahead helps a lot. Take water bottles too, order water in restaurants - saves money and cals. And have fun! You're on vacation, so you want to relax and enjoy it, but can still eat sensibly. And when you get back, you can return to exercise and more accurate food planning and logging.

Have a great time!
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Plan and think. Pack some healthy snacks. If you are planning a big meal, have a smaller breakfast. Don't beat yourself up if you have a splurge. And log. All of it. The good the bad and the ugly. And of course have a great time!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on where you go and what your options are. A lot of places have motel rooms with a fridge and microwave, which can be a huge help. Some tourist areas have condos with full, stocked kitchens. But if you have none of those luxuries, you don't, C'est la vie. :)

I would bring my healthy snacks along and just make the best choices I could in the restaurants. If you have room, bring a cooler to keep fruits and veggies. You can get ice in the hotel.

All you can do is your best, so don't beat yourself up if you aren't doing as well as usual.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    It's all about choices and portion control.
    Check the calories before ordering if possible. Most chain restaurants post them.

What I do,,,,,
    If something is new or unique, then I indulge.
    If it's nothing special, then eat carefully.

Enjoy your trip.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, you're on vacation, HAVE FUN! Being aware is half the battle, make good decisions and bring along healthy snacks. you'll do great!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    #1 tip - Have fun, it's a vacation.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    1. Have fun.
    2. Put yourself on maintenance for the week. If you go under, good; if not, you won't gain.
    3. Stick with things that don't have sauces or gravies. Keep breakfast and lunch lighter and as nutritious as possible. For breakfast, stick with fruit and oatmeal, for example, and a large garden salad for lunch. Have a larger meal at dinner but be conscious of portions, sauces, gravies.
    4. Enjoy a drink or two.

It's only a week. Things will go well.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    ...staying in a hotel (so no full kitchen to cook meals), shopping and watching my son's sports team in a tournament. ...

You are going to use much energy just trucking to and from the venue and moving between fields and keeping up with your son. At least, that's how it works for DW and I at our sons' events. The coach has water for the players. Take a quart of water for each of you, probably will need to refill it during the day.

We prefer Subway during the day at the kid's events. We can choose the level of protein, veggies, fat (mayo and cheese), and, well, the bun is a lot of carbs but you need the energy.

You are not going to put back on 26 lbs. Enjoy dinners.