Gaining Muscle Mass

Options

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Then maybe you shouldn't use hyperbole.
    add in fries and you easily hit 1000
    Your original post quite clearly singled out just a single burger, with absolutely no mention of extras. Adding a regular fry more than doubles the calories provided by any one burger on the menu, so that's a pretty ridiculous backpedal you have going there.

Really? She was making a point. Do you work for five guys or something. One if the most annoying things in this site is people arguing over the minutia and semantics of a post when the bigger picture is clearly what's important.
  • fangedneko
    fangedneko Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Your original post quite clearly singled out just a single burger, with absolutely no mention of extras. Adding a regular fry more than doubles the calories provided by any one burger on the menu, so that's a pretty ridiculous backpedal you have going there.

Really? She was making a point. Do you work for five guys or something. One if the most annoying things in this site is people arguing over the minutia and semantics of a post when the bigger picture is clearly what's important.

If that point was that she attempts to hide ignorance behind terms like "hyperbole", then she succeeded brilliantly. This has nothing to do with semantics. If people don't want to be corrected, then they shouldn't post incorrect info on a public forum.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you have to be in a calorie surplus. If you aren't, then no matter what routine you do, you won't grow. It's that simple.

If you struggle to eat enough calories, then you have to structure your diet to go to low volume, high calorie food. The reason most guys eat tons of protein when cutting is to help stave off cravings. When you're bulking you can actually cut down the protein (percentage-wise). If guys are eating 40-50% in protein during cutting, maybe they cut the protein down to 30-35% and eat more fat and carbs for the energy.

If you can't get more than 2000 calories in, I suggest you find another trainer that knows what the heck he's doing, and has more experience. The trainer will recognize you have a problem with quantity of food, so he'll start suggesting you dirty up your diet and eat high calorie foods that aren't that big in terms of volume. Fast food, peanut butter, etc. There are a lot of high calorie healthy foods also, but it's a lot more enjoyable eating fast food and pizza and things like that. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you must do to grow. Eat half your calories in very healthy food, eat the other half in junk. Whatever you gotta do.

I don't have that problem lol. I can eat 15000 calories a day or more on a cheat day as I've got a binge problem and an ability to just pack it in. I tend to think a lot of 'scrawny, skinny guys" have the problem of not being able to eat enough calories, which is why they stay skinny and can't figure out why. Maybe they need 5000+ calories to grow, and their stomach just can't handle enough quantity.

Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck to you.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

If that point was that she attempts to hide ignorance behind terms like "hyperbole", then she succeeded brilliantly. This has nothing to do with semantics. If people don't want to be corrected, then they shouldn't post incorrect info on a public forum.

I'm not hiding ignorance- it's pretty normal for people to NOT go in for a single burger- most people go in get a burger and fries and a drink- and again- a single burger is 800+... it's exceptionally easy to hit well over 1000 sitting at one meal- I know- I've done it.

I'm all for being corrected about mis-information- but if you seriously can't get the giist of the statement was high calorie foods- i.e. something like five guys where you can EASILY eat your maintenance/cutting calories in one sitting- which therefor makes it's a great option for people who need calorie dense food- then I got nothing for you... I'm pretty regular on forums... most people would (DID) have gotten the point- sorry not sorry you're way to uptight about your "singular burger calorie content" to get the base point of my statement.

Good luck-- seriously- you're going to need it.
  • fangedneko
    Options
    a single burger is 800+
    There are 2 burgers, out of 16 on the Five Guys menu, that break 800 calories, and even those are only because of adding cheese. It's like you revel in being incorrect.

And it's quite obvious that you claimed that a single burger was 1500 calories, and equally obvious that it was due to ignorance, not hyperbole. Your backpedaling is quite frankly pathetic. You were wrong, deal with it. You're not going to rationalize it away with BS.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You win- you're right. I was completely inaccurate in my representation over Five Guys Food-- I bow to your internet rightness your Majesty.
  • fangedneko
    Options
    Resorting to snark is even more pathetic.
  • ChunkLaFunk
    ChunkLaFunk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Kind of late to the party but the OP mentioned he only trains each body part once in seven days. I agree that more calories are essential for hypertrophy. Additionally though wouldn't working each body part 2X per week be required for hypertrophy? I think it's hard, if not impossible, to achieve muscle growth training once per week per body part.

Hey OP awesome job on the 9% bf. That's outstanding!

I'll have to try 5 Guys and see what all the hoopla's about. Being from Cali I've been spoiled by In-N-Out. 5 Guys are kind of the new kids on the block on the Left Coast.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Who gives a **** if a burger is 800 or 1600? If you want you can eat 2 of them.

If you want to gain mass, eat more. If you're still not gaining after 2 weeks, eat more. Rinse, Repeat.

Internet pedantry is not required. Training hard and eating more is.
  • jimmmer
    Options

You've used your stunning intellect to make 60 posts in the last 3 years. Helped many people around here in that time with your gifts?

Hmmm. The silence is deafening...
  • fangedneko
    Options

You've used your stunning intellect to make 60 posts in the last 3 years. Helped many people around here in that time with your gifts?

Ad hominem. Good job.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Ad hominem. Good job.

61 and still nothing?
  • fangedneko
    Options

Ad hominem. Good job.

61 and still nothing?

Right, and using logical fallacies really shows your helping nature. Get bent.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Kind of late to the party but the OP mentioned he only trains each body part once in seven days. I agree that more calories are essential for hypertrophy. Additionally though wouldn't working each body part 2X per week be required for hypertrophy? I think it's hard, if not impossible, to achieve muscle growth training once per week per body part.

Hey OP awesome job on the 9% bf. That's outstanding!

I'll have to try 5 Guys and see what all the hoopla's about. Being from Cali I've been spoiled by In-N-Out. 5 Guys are kind of the new kids on the block on the Left Coast.

Actually this method is very good for adding muscle(each 1x per week) as you can focus solely on that muscle group and you do an hour on just that. The muscle group done is so sore at the end. In reality yes you can do 2x a week but you wont be able to focus as much on that and 1x a week allows for a shorter work out since most cant do 3 hour lift sessions 5x a week. Personally I prefer 2x a week per group but my schedule doesnt permit it or I am in a plateau i switch to this method for a month. works great
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    OP. why no carbs? Have you discussed your goals with your trainer?

The traditional cut and bulk cycle has been used by many people. I don't like being on a cut, but with such a low BF you're not gonna build muscle on 2000 calories per day. Fire your trainer and go eat something.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

HAHA JoRocka she got Burger Ignorance! This is hilarious! Do you have some kind of burger paranoia?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Haha this is great. Think crazy cat guy is hangry - pity there's no burgers over 1500 for him :laugh:

OP like everyone has said, you gotta eat if you want to build muscle. If you've got your protein down just add more carbs (and fat :smile: )
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Haha this is great. Think crazy cat guy is hangry - pity there's no burgers over 1500 for him :laugh:

OP like everyone has said, you gotta eat if you want to build muscle. If you've got your protein down just add more carbs (and fat :smile: )

Agreed.

Carbs aren't the enemy here. They're going to be your friend!
  • Saiyanbrahh
    Options
    2000 is what I take while cutting and just got done with it.....Bulking falls more in like 4500-6000ish with proteins over 200ish-250ish
  • russeljv
    Options
    I think it has to do more with the fact that my trainer's first focus was dropping that bfi of mine that was high. She has done an amazing job tbh. 30 lbs of fat and almost 20% bfi off in one year is impressive as well as getting stronger. Thanks for the food tips, I think I will avoid the five guys, chips,oreo, ice cream tip... there is such a thing as food that is simply grease and bad for you.. (ps take the burger war to another thread pls :) ) No thanks. Besides I can outgrill those boys lol.

I like the beans idea too. I will switch some things around and post in a month on this to see hom I am progressing.