How in the world do you do it?

Options
Today was my first day trying to do keto. It seems I've made a radical change in my eating, yet I'm still a bit over on carbs and WAY low on fats. Can you please give me some advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• catseyedawn
    catseyedawn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keto like Atkins?? Remember to subtract the fiber from your carbs. I haven't figured out how to make MFP do that- I just found this today. When you do that are you still over? Where are your carbs coming from? How low is way low in fat?

Sorry for all the questions I have been doing atkins for years and I feel I am pretty good with it. Of course I am here for a reason though! :)
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I do not not much about this, but I am always suspicious of any diet plan that makes you severely restrict anything... eating healthy is pretty simple... you don't need any one to tell you what bad eating looks like...go for fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats,whole grains... take your pick...balance them in moderation....much easier to convert that into a lifestyle than some "scientific" diet plan...
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with LoneWolfRunner. Healthy eating should be intuitive and conservative, not radical. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would say that many of today's so-called diets set people up for failure so as to perpetuate the industry. No one is making money off you when you "eat real food, mostly plants, not too much."

Of course, the best diet is the one that works for you.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for 4 weeks. Still tweaking it but have been in ketosis from day 2. I get my fats up by adding olive oil and coconut oil to all my meals. I eat half an avocado as part of my breakfast. I keep my Carbs down by getting my Carbs from green veg especially spinage and Kale. I don't eat any grains or pulses. I don't eat much dairy. I have a lot of food intolerances related to long term health conditions so it makes sense for me personally to cut out things that make me unwell. I also went on to ketogenic plan as a long term treatment option for neurological health issue that medications have failed to help. If I lose weight on it that is a bonus. I do have a lot of weight to lose. My diary is open if want to look.
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    My diet plan is simple. Did God make or did people make it? Taking a closer look at it, your diet should include proteins, vegetables, nuts/seeds, and some fruit as a sweet treat. When it comes to processed foods I look at the ingredients. If I can pronounce it, I don't eat it.

Proteins, nuts, and seeds contain the vital fats you need. Vegetables contain all the vitamins and minerals you need.

You probably know this. Breads, crackers, and other processed foods are essentially sugars and refined sugars which ruin your liver and store as fat.

Bottom line, your body needs carbs (from real food), proteins, fats, and water. If you cut down on sugar intake you will see the difference.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options
    My diet plan is simple. Did God make or did people make it? Taking a closer look at it, your diet should include proteins, vegetables, nuts/seeds, and some fruit as a sweet treat. When it comes to processed foods I look at the ingredients. If I can pronounce it, I don't eat it.

Proteins, nuts, and seeds contain the vital fats you need. Vegetables contain all the vitamins and minerals you need.

You probably know this. Breads, crackers, and other processed foods are essentially sugars and refined sugars which ruin your liver and store as fat.

Bottom line, your body needs carbs (from real food), proteins, fats, and water. If you cut down on sugar intake you will see the difference.

Brown rice is a carb. It grows in the ground. Thus it's good for you. Whole grain bread is made from wheat, which is ground to flour, and grows in the ground. Thus it's good for you. :-/ All carbs turn to sugar in your body.
  • FlowerFairy493
    Options

Brown rice is a carb. It grows in the ground. Thus it's good for you. Whole grain bread is made from wheat, which is ground to flour, and grows in the ground. Thus it's good for you. :-/ All carbs turn to sugar in your body.

Also, they ate bread in God's time. Along with wine at the last supper.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I am always suspicious of any diet plan that makes you severely restrict anything... eating healthy is pretty simple... you don't need any one to tell you what bad eating looks like...go for fruits, vegetables, lean meats, healthy fats,whole grains... take your pick...balance them in moderation....much easier to convert that into a lifestyle than some "scientific" diet plan...
    This.
    Putting your body into an unhealthy state is certainly not sustainable, and you're not learning healthy eating methods, so once you can no longer sustain your unhealthy eating pattern what are you going to do? You're going to go back to your previous eating pattern & gain weight again.
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    After many years and many attempts to follow restrictive plans such as keto, Atkins, Paleo, Scarsdale, Stillman, ETC., I have finally found what works for me. I don't restrict any foods. Until I started to hold myself accountable for the quantities I ate, no "diet" was ever good long-term. I would have some success, but the minute I started "maintenance"-- adding carbs back to Atkins, or vegetables to Stillmans, for example, I was in trouble. I needed to figure out how to eat for the rest of my life. I couldn't imagine never eating a cracker or a piece of cheese ever again, and I was tired of setting myself up for failure. I had to learn how to control myself. Now, I weigh my food, and I make damn sure that if I eat something, it's because I'm hungry and not bored or upset. Those fries would sure be good with dinner, wouldn't they? OK, I can have some, but not all. Quality has become more important than quantity. Also, I find that lately I'm not really all that interested in eating what people would call "the bad stuff". Maybe it's because nothing is off-limits to me anymore. I'm hard on myself, but I think that the restrictive ways of eating were even harder for me. I've lost 79 lbs. since Jan. 1, so I guess this works for me. That said, my motto is still: Do whatever works for you, and good luck to you on your way to success. You can do it!
  • Dustinsteven22
    Dustinsteven22 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Of course wheat and brown rice are carbs. Carbs are not bad. Carbs are strains of sugar (fructose, glucose, galactose, etc.) Refined carbs are the problem. Natural carbs are designed to work with your body, plus they are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Refined carbs are stripped of their vitamins and minerals leaving processed sugar.

Yes bread was eaten back in the bible days, the process was different though. I don't know anyone who still stone grinds their own bread. Ha ha. Although that would be cool. Wine is fabulous!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day trying to do keto. It seems I've made a radical change in my eating, yet I'm still a bit over on carbs and WAY low on fats. Can you please give me some advice?

Thanks!
    Best bit of advice eat normally just less of it. You really don't have to suffer to lose weight

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594