Perfect or worst time to quit smoking? (during weight loss)

Options

Replies

• suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    So as a person who had quit a bazillion times, and who is now 18 years smoke-free, what I did was prepare myself for a couple of weeks. I focused on a specific date and said, I will stop then. I joined an online group of about 15 people who also wanted to quit smoking. I smoked right up until midnight the night before! Then, everytime I wanted a cigarette after that I spoke outloud - yes I do want a cigarette but I am smoke-free now so I won't. I messaged the group everytime I wanted to smoke instead. The cravings diminished over time, the first 2 weeks were VERY difficult for me, the next month less so. My friends tell me I was bezerk for a month. I don't remember feeling bezerk or acting so, but apparently I was "intense" during that period. Oh well, so far, I've been successful! Truthfully, these days, I don't like the smell of smoke at all - and hate stale smoke smell - in rooms on clothes etc.

If you want, friend me and everytime you want to smoke, message me instead of picking up the cigarette! It helps to have a partner in that journey
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    did you just stopped doing the things that made you want to smoke?

I'm seriously contemplating this actually. For a while I was also drinking a lot up until 2 months ago or so (which also caused tremendous weight gain). Last night I went on a dinner cruise for work which of course involved alcohol. The craving was so bad I could barely stand it and I was getting upset (mind you I was on a boat with no escape lol but seriously) One of my guy friends offered me a cigarette. He didn't know I'm trying to quit. My friend grabbed his arm and said "NO. She's trying to quit." Although I'm so thankful for her consideration, which I told her, I wanted to take one of his cigarettes SO BAD and I would have. I wasn't having that great of a time because all I kept thinking about was how I wanted a cigarette but my friends were there and wouldn't let me smoke. I wanted to walk across the street to the drug store afterwards and buy a pack before I left to go home, but my friend dropped me off at my car and she would be wondering why I didn't get in the car and leave, so I didn't buy that pack. I feel imprisoned if I smoke or if I don't smoke. I love going to a bar, having drinks with friends and chain smoking....but the bar near me allows smoking inside and lots of people smoke there. The temptation would be too strong, so I'm going to try to stay away from there.

The time I want to smoke is after work. I don't get a lunch break or to go outside after work, so I have no choice but to not smoke for 8 hours. When I would get in my car after work and light a cigarette, it was such a relief. Now I just have to tell myself "You CAN drive home (or to work) without smoking. You don't HAVE to smoke." I'm going to replace that with other activities such as "You CAN drink coffee without smoking cigarettes." Repeat.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Anytime to quit is the perfect time. Do it now--today!

Completely agree. I quit 6 years ago and its the best gift I ever gave myself... Good luck!
  • lisamechellehess
    lisamechellehess Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 8 years ago and did so without craving a lot of food. My big problem was nicotine addiction so I decided when I quit, I wasn't going to push myself to get off nicotine super fast as I had terrible withdrawal symptoms (one of which was craving fats and carbs) but that was the least of them. Over a period of 3 years, I started with the gum (which alleviated the oral cravings) then when I put enough time between me and cigarettes, I started on the patch and stayed on it for 2 years until I could wean myself down (each step was difficult for me)

Everyone is different but I hope the advice you get out of this is that if you should use the tools you have for as long as you need to get off cigarettes. There will come a day when you never want another one but you need to be patient and kind to yourself throughout this process and don't rush getting off nicotine too fast. Good luck to you, rooting for you!
  • anacepeda
    anacepeda Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback :)

I noticed caliv0608 brought up the Chantix (Champix here in Europe), well you have no idea how much I googled, asked, read, exhausted the whole internet about it.
    It was even a bigger dilemma, I heard wonders from someone I know irl and as usual i googled it, there were horror stories of suicide, depression, joint pain, vivid dreams.. you name it..
    And there was feedback from hundreds of people who never were able to quit it until they used chantix

Then I decided to ask at the pharmacy, they said all people that is buying there, which are dozens, only a man failed to quit.
    At last I asked a doctor, he explained me that the depression and suicide were not induced by the chantix itself but because of the nicotine deprivation and those were people already with a depression history etc. He highly recommended it due to the amount I smoke.

I was short on cash on long term to buy the entire treatment (400 euros) so I just put that on my 'maybe' imaginary box and its still there

I know not everything on the internet is truth but its just so weird some doctors assuring its fine and then some people saying, 'omg, I stopped taking chantix and still have health issues because of that, stay away, ruunnn'.. its would be nice having that big help on my side but those people testimonials rly scare me!
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    Good luck with it. My neighbor hasn't smoked in something like 3 years. She did put on something like 20lbs, but she's happy with it. I would just give myself incentives, like trying out new activities and saving up for stuff that I really, really want.
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    when i quit, i went cold turkey (no patches or gum available where i live), and the only thing that could regulate/mediate my urges was SUGAR and tons of it (and i'm not even a sugar-lover person)!

i think i did gain 5-10 pounds, but i stupidly wasn't using MFP to count calories.

just think of how much it would suck to start gaining the weight back AFTER you finally get to your fitness goal, if you wait to quit until after you've lost the weight. :(

i'd say do it now! and like a couple others have mentioned, maybe try to eat at maintenance for a couple of weeks, to help with the stress on your body.

it's going to suck and you're going to be an evil b*ch for about a week and you're going to be angry and sad and moody and stressed and high-strung, but after a week or two it starts going away. and just remember every single time you have a drag, you're restarting all of your progress up to that point, making the suffering for nothing. but it's going to be SO WORTH IT! :)

either way, congrats on the positive changes, and good luck!! ~*~*~
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    just think of how much it would suck to start gaining the weight back AFTER you finally get to your fitness goal, if you wait to quit until after you've lost the weight. :(
    and just remember every single time you have a drag, you're restarting all of your progress up to that point, making the suffering for nothing. but it's going to be SO WORTH IT! :)

SO TRUE!!!

rayonrainbows: Where do you live that they don't have gum or patches available??
  • Janette3x4
    Janette3x4 Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi! Congrats on your weight loss! I haven't smoked a cigarette in 7 months (today! Yay) and I smoked for 30 years. I tried to quit many, many times. For me what worked was harm reduction. I switched to an ecig. Not the kind you buy over the counter but one you can fill yourself with whatever level of nicotine you want. And you can buy organic, so that the juice only has 3 ingredients. I am not saying it is as healthy as quitting cold turkey, but it does reduce your harm. You can start on high or medium nicotine and work your way down to low or none! As soon as I switched, I felt better. No more coughing or wheezing, and my lung capacity went up. It's not for everyone and if you are successful any other way I applaud you! But for me this is the longest I have gone without lighting up. Oh, and I had no weight gain. I did it for health reasons and since then, everything health wise has improved. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking should be FIRST on any list of self improvement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pepin1224
    pepin1224 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Switch to Vaper smoke (i used the kind with nicotine. I found that i slowly started wanting it as much and then eventually quit. It ran me about $100 to get but i found it to be worth it.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking on December 11, 2012 and started vaping (e-cigs) Took me about 6 weeks to transition over, but I did it. Because I still had the "ritual", I didn't gain any weight. The weight came when I went back to drinking wine. I LOVE wine. But for me, I can't have just a glass or two...I want the whole bottle (750ml). So, for now, the wine is off the table.

I,too, was a 2+ pack a day smoker. The cost was killing the budget. Now, I spend maybe $10 a month on vapes.
  • marquishagetaka
    Options
    Perfect, I say go for it. I did - !
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've been considering the cold turkey approach recently myself. I find when I go to the gym I usually go 3-4 hours without one. I was going 6/7 days till this past week. My daughter was ill. Missed the whole week but going back tomorrow.
    I quit after hypnosis for over two years then picked them back up. Back then I did get a little insomnia for a few nights coming off them. Just took a Tylenol p.m. Maybe soon.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Something like 25% of quitters actually lose weight.

I highly recommend Allen Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking book. It helped me immensely 10 years ago when I quit.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155

Good luck! You'll be so glad to have that monkey off your back. I couldn't even imagine the cost of a 2-pack a day habit.
  • FreeAnik
    FreeAnik Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I quit on December 23, 2013. Cold turkey because I couldn't stand replacing an addiction by another one. Emotionally I was a mess for about 3 weeks because my addiction was mainly emotionnal. I would smoke to 'celebrate' every state of mind. Super happy? Let's smoke! Sad? Need my cigarettes... I went through a roller coaster of emotions but my mind was set on quitting.

What helped me the most was having cigarettes at home. It sounds strange but for me, not having any was an enormous source of stress. I still have them almost 8 months later.

I think there are so many ways to quit, you just need to pick one that agrees with you.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Another vote for quit smoking first. 8 years smoke free. Still miss it. Know I can never smoke again. Gained weight but too bad - quitting was more important. Quitnet.com is a good resource - it helped me a lot. Misery loves company and it is nice to know that you are not alone. It does get better. Good luck to you!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a real nasty health hazard. And I am speaking as an x-smoker. What kept me away from cigarettes was aerobics. 4 times a week.

The first 3 weeks are tough, but after that it gets easier. Just keep working out hard and you'll get thru it. Most people will gain anywhere from 5 to 15 pounds when they quit, but it comes off. Gaining a few temporary pounds is no excuse to keep smoking.

Chantix-has so many warnings on it, I wouldn't take it. Just tough it out.

Just do it, and you'll feel a huge difference, in energy level, and you'll be able to work out harder when all that is going into your lungs is air.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Actually this is a trick that may help you. It may be silly and you may feel silly, but it helped me A LOT. When you feel the urge you can actually "smoke" a pencil. Just mimic the action of smoking with a pencil, a pen or your empty hand. The deep breathing will help calm you down and the hand to lip movement will help you tackle the oral fixation. Within a few minutes the urge will be gone, it's actually like magic!

That's actually not silly at all, and they make fake cigarettes for that very purpose. The fake cigarettes, if you can find them, might work better than a pencil (as they're exactly the same length and width of a cigarette).

I was a smoker for ten years. Started in middle school (sad to admit). I just... one day quit. I actually, though, traded one addiction (smoking) for another (eating disorder). And don't recommend it. I got so wrapped up in the 'new' addiction, that I always just forgot to smoke. And I have not smoked since. However, I'm sure this trick could work with a healthy addiction, too. As others have suggested, exercise might help when you think about smoking. Eventually, you'll be so involved in your new lifestyle that you'll find yourself thinking about smoking less and less.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Smoking is a real nasty health hazard. And I am speaking as an x-smoker. What kept me away from cigarettes was aerobics. 4 times a week.

The first 3 are tough, but after that it gets easier. Just keep working out hard and you'll get thru it. Most people will gain anywhere from 5 to 15 pounds when they quit, but it comes off. Gaining a few temporary pounds is no excuse to keep smoking.

Just do it, and you'll feel a huge difference, in energy level, and you'll be able to work out harder when all that is going into your lungs is air.

Precisely! Seeing someone say this is a breath of fresh air (pun intended).

So often I see people who are afraid to quit smoking because they don't want to gain weight. It baffles me.

Overweight people who don't smoke are probably, overall, healthier than overweight people who do. That's without mentioning the fact that smoking makes it hard to breathe, so exercise becomes harder and harder with each year that you smoke (I speak that part from experience).