5k training question

Options
I have my first 5k in about a month, I have been training doing a modified version of c25k, I have been running about 3.25 miles three times a week for the last two weeks all on a treadmill. My question is should I focus more on distance or improving speed now? I currently run between 5.2 and 5.5 mph. Thanks

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Distance, take it easy and slowly increase your distance/time running. With that you will find you get speed increases.
    It's about 12 months since I started running, my first 5k without walking was about 35minutes (I think) I'm now down to low 23's and all I have done is increase my distances.
  • Dball0227
    Dball0227 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, my goal is under 35 for this one but I will be happy with finishing and not walking
  • cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to train outside at least a couple times a week to be ready for hills, gravel, etc... Ive been running mostly on a school track and the first time I went "off track" even minor grades kicked my but because I had become used to a perfectly flat surface.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Distance, and go outside. Unless its a treadmill 5k.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Definitely get outside and run. Pacing, impact, muscular recruitment due to surface irregularities, and a host of other things differ between outdoor running and the treadmill. Once you get accustomed to outdoor running, increase distance and speed on shorter distances will improve as a result.
  • llamajenn
    llamajenn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it up with some speed training/interval training.
  • Statistafunk
    Options
    Focus on endurance! Chances are you probably won't win, so you don't want to burn yourself too soon into the run. I am a slow runner 13min pace. and I have learned that endurance comes before pace. If your goal is to run it without stopping, trying running at a comfortable and gradually increase with training. With practice, You will start increasing your speed as your endurance becomes more and more solid. In the case of this race, just take your time and go at a comfortable pace. Your goal is to not cross the finish line walking..

Good luck!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, focus on building distance and go outside. Unless you are setting the treadmill to at least 1-2% grade, it does not accurately represent realistic road conditions -- and it is far worse if you are running your race on a relatively hilly course. As you build distance and your cardio base, you will get faster.

Throwing in intervals to mix it up always helps too. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Try mixing it up with some speed training/interval training.

Speed comes from distance as a newbie, not the other way round.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I have been running about 3.25 miles three times a week for the last two weeks all on a treadmill. My question is should I focus more on distance or improving speed now?

First I'd suggest getting outside and judging the impact on your performance. Then work on distance, speed will come. You don't make any appreciable gains from speedwork until you can get a longer distance under your belt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have been running about 3.25 miles three times a week for the last two weeks all on a treadmill. My question is should I focus more on distance or improving speed now?

First I'd suggest getting outside and judging the impact on your performance. Then work on distance, speed will come. You don't make any appreciable gains from speedwork until you can get a longer distance under your belt.

how long is 'longer distances'? i'm training for a 10k, and was planning on adding some intervasl next month, but am i better off just doing more distance?

sorry for hijacking your thread OP! :flowerforyou:
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

how long is 'longer distances'? i'm training for a 10k, and was planning on adding some intervasl next month, but am i better off just doing more distance?

sorry for hijacking your thread OP! :flowerforyou:

If you want to increase your speed and have an iphone there is a an app called 10k forever it's a pace training app that included interval training. I have used the same companies 5k runner and 10k runner and they are both good.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Being able to run for an hour, so just over 10K was where I was able to make noticeable gains from speedwork.

Getting to 10K took about 4 minutes off my 5K time, I've since knocked about another 6 minutes off with sustained distance and speedwork.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Being able to run for an hour, so just over 10K was where I was able to make noticeable gains from speedwork.

Getting to 10K took about 4 minutes off my 5K time, I've since knocked about another 6 minutes off with sustained distance and speedwork.

thanks
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options

^^ This. If you carry your phone with you, try running to a metronome app set to your desired run cadence. You may be surprised at how your run cadence will decrease over distance. It will also help you build muscle memory and the "feel" of your desired pace.