Late night hunger. How do you deal with it?

Options

Replies

• QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    as others have suggested, save calories for then. I am back to writing out my actual menu for the day at least the day before, just easier for me to not go looking for food when Im hungry. I actually have my dinner between 8 and 9 pm. then have something else about an hour later. I lost over 100 pounds before last pregnancy and that is what I did then as well. Did the whole no eating 3 hrs before bedtime-would make me binge or couldn't go to sleep hungry and would wake up so f'n grumpy. I have been eating a cheeseburger or similar around 9pm for awhile now.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I visualize that my body is getting thinner when i'm hungry late at night or in the middle of the night.…I just focus on the fact that breakfast will be coming soon enough. I might drink a hot tea..but typically ignore it..cause who wants to ruin a great day of staying on track to blow it at midnight.
  • Eselte
    Eselte Posts: 49
    Options
    Great thread.. My sweet tooth likes to wake up in the evenings also :)
  • sadgay69
    Options
    I'm the same way. I just recently started dieting, and although I normally do have "bonus" calories, I hate to eat past 7 in the evening. But yet, every time I sit down to watch some Workaholics or Shameless, I get this annoying thing in the back of my mind telling me to go get some unhealthy snack. So I just like to sit back and tell myself that enjoying the late night food that I'm craving would only make me happy until it's gone. But losing weight and being a better version of myself will last a life time if I stay strong. Just giving yourself a little pep talk, or telling yourself you don't need that snack really does wonders, even if it is so simple. :tongue:
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I eat a pack of sunflower seeds and drink two cups of water.
  • cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee and sugar free caramel syrup
  • ironheartwarrior1
    Options
    in the evening i eat my largest meal. it is usually comprised of a large amount of sauteed or steamed vegetables with a cup of rice or barley and a serving of protein, usually chicken. the calorie count is low, but the amount i can eat is extremely filling. i usually have a little left over to nibble on between dinner and 7:30, when i stop eating for the day. then i always eat breakfast, usually a protein shake and a banana. but i find eating small amounts regularly during the day, and then enough dinner to get me through the night really helps. also, i find that he more nutritious the food is, the less likely i am to have cravings of any kind. for the most part i eat actual foods, not packaged, and it seems to make me feel better and more able to eat a low calorie diet without starving or craving too much food or the wrong foods.
  • TomAJeffs
    TomAJeffs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I fill myself up with raw vegetables. White cabbage - love it. Sugar Snap Peas - fantastic. My other fancy is Haywards Sweet onions (pickled) - I love them.

Your bed will become a bit of a dutch oven but at least you won't be eating anything bad.
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is an issue of mine as well. I find that if I save 200 calories for my bedtime snack I can fit in a bag of popcorn and a fiber one brownie, hitting my salty and sweet snack craving and also filling me up. It also take a while to finish the popcorn so I am snacking throughout my show. Good luck!

Edited to say that I know this probably isn't the most healthy choice but it's working for me and 100% doable!
  • missyme10
    missyme10 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My hunger is worse in the evening. If I go to bed hungry, I wake up constantly hungry and it makes me a crabbed cow the next day. I thought I'd learn to sleep with the hunger but I haven't.

I always keep a minimum of 200kcal for supper, or have a snack around dinner time and a late dinner that will take me through the night.

I think people are different. I am never hungry on a morning, in fact I usually have to be up and about a good 2 hours before I am hungry, so I've come to realise that it's just the way I am and trying to fight what my body wants naturally isn't going to work ie. eat a good breakfast and stop eating at a certain time in the evening - my body wants food later in the day, so I let it have what it wants, ie. eat less in the morning and more in the evening.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Just save some dang calories. No reason to suffer to lose weight. Just plan for that snack and HAVE it. It won't mess up your weight loss or anything like that.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I stock up on lots of fiber filled red delicious apples. There is something gratifying about an apple that satiates me psychologically and it stabilizes my blood sugar. Any piece of fruit will do I think, this is just the one that I prefer.
  • limitless1995
    Options
    Good old H2O ;)
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is an issue of mine as well. I find that if I save 200 calories for my bedtime snack I can fit in a bag of popcorn and a fiber one brownie, hitting my salty and sweet snack craving and also filling me up. It also take a while to finish the popcorn so I am snacking throughout my show. Good luck!

Edited to say that I know this probably isn't the most healthy choice but it's working for me and 100% doable!

Hello...are you me? I just finished my popcorn (100 cal pack) and my fiber one choc. :laugh: I pre-log these things. I don't always eat them, in which case I can take them off the diary.
  • rainrain83
    rainrain83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yes as everyone else says save calories for then.

but you could also try a very low calorie snack.
    i really enjoy rice cake with a triangle of low
    fat cream cheese.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    in the evening i eat my largest meal. it is usually comprised of a large amount of sauteed or steamed vegetables with a cup of rice or barley and a serving of protein, usually chicken. the calorie count is low, but the amount i can eat is extremely filling. i usually have a little left over to nibble on between dinner and 7:30, when i stop eating for the day. then i always eat breakfast, usually a protein shake and a banana. but i find eating small amounts regularly during the day, and then enough dinner to get me through the night really helps. also, i find that he more nutritious the food is, the less likely i am to have cravings of any kind. for the most part i eat actual foods, not packaged, and it seems to make me feel better and more able to eat a low calorie diet without starving or craving too much food or the wrong foods.

This is pretty much my eating plan. I am really enjoying finding different ways to sautee/ season veggies so I can eat as much as I want for dinner!
    I do save enough calories to eat as much popcorn as I want for my late night snack. I'm eating some now. I make it on the stove with a little olive oil and seasonings.
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep.

Some people can't go to sleep when they're this hungry. If I had fallen asleep at the appropriate time it'd be no problem, but now it's too late and I'm hungry. Still sifting through what others have said. I had some grapes but honestly it probably brought me right up to or over my calories for the day.
  • htrombleyl
    htrombleyl Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Its early on for me so I just down about 16 oz of water and tell myself I am full. If I have at least 25 calories left then I go for jello and cool whip. My favoritr if I have closer to 100 left I indulge in fat free pudding. But you have to do it right. Take it out of the little container. Crush up a lowfat graham cracker put half in a glass followed by the pudding or you can alter the pudding with whipped cream( light version) and top it off with the rest of the graham crumbs. It is tall so it looks like I am eating more plus its delicious.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Some people can't go to sleep when they're this hungry. If I had fallen asleep at the appropriate time it'd be no problem, but now it's too late and I'm hungry. Still sifting through what others have said. I had some grapes but honestly it probably brought me right up to or over my calories for the day.

This is true for me after a weight lifting workout. The best solution for me is one of my chocolate mint protein bars. It's about as filling as you can get, plus they're made with real chocolate so they satisfy the sweet tooth too. 190 calories, and 20g protein isn't bad for a late night snack, and if you eat it after midnight it's part of tomorrow's calorie count.
  • mollyann34
    mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have this problem often. I save enough calories for 1/2 ounce of raw almonds and an 8 oz glass of coconut or almond milk. I have them a few hours after dinner and this seems to be doing the trick. If I still want to eat.. I do the herbal tea thing, chug water... or just get on here at night ;) It usually really helps! Good Luck!