Starting over

Options
I really don't even know where to start. I guess I am looking for some friends that might be able to help me through this new journey. My weight is 304 and I am having a hard time moving. I can't enjoy nothing with my children. We went to the zoo and I did manage to walk for about an hour but I had to sit and rest a few times. I hate my life and what I have become. I get out of breath if I walk from one room to another. But most of all I am a shame of who I am. I won't get my picture taken because of how I look. I won't go to my children events because I don't want them to be embarrassed that I am their mother. I know in my heart that they are not embarrassed of me but I am. The dr, put me on sugar pills and I have sleep apac.

I want to change my life so badly and I think I can do it if I can just get some knowledge on how to eat right. I hate to sound stupid but what is healthy eating? I never ate healthy in my whole life it has always been fast food restaurant and at home a lot of pasta and hamburgers. We eat a lot of potatoes and bread and I know that isn't good for you. Its sad but I just love lunch meat sandwiches. Please help me get this weight off. So any advice would be appreciated. .

Replies

• ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Rita, writing it all down is the first step in the right direction. You're honest with yourself. I have been there, and sometimes I am still there. I started a little heavier than you, a little over halfway to my ultimate goal now. Let me be frank, it wasn't easy. It isn't easy now, either, especially at family/friend events where food is the center of everything. Not just food, "bad" food.

Don't put yourself on a diet, but invest in yourself and commit to a lifestyle change.

I recommend that you take small steps. Cut out processed foods, soda, fast food. Make meals at home where you know what you're putting in your body. It will be hard. Start exercising, even if it's a 15 minute daily walk. That 15 minutes will end up being 20, then 30 and so on. You can't expect yourself to run a marathon on the first day, but you can't be discouraged by the fact that you can only do 15 minutes, either.

Good luck. You can do it.
  • chelleo2l
    chelleo2l Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Rita, writing it all down is the first step in the right direction. You're honest with yourself. I have been there, and sometimes I am still there. I started a little heavier than you, a little over halfway to my ultimate goal now. Let me be frank, it wasn't easy. It isn't easy now, either, especially at family/friend events where food is the center of everything. Not just food, "bad" food.

Don't put yourself on a diet, but invest in yourself and commit to a lifestyle change.

I recommend that you take small steps. Cut out processed foods, soda, fast food. Make meals at home where you know what you're putting in your body. It will be hard. Start exercising, even if it's a 15 minute daily walk. That 15 minutes will end up being 20, then 30 and so on. You can't expect yourself to run a marathon on the first day, but you can't be discouraged by the fact that you can only do 15 minutes, either.

Good luck. You can do it.

I agree totally!!! BTW, I sent you a FR.
  • Howland_Rita
    Howland_Rita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank You for the tip. I am going to start this journey tomorrow and I hope I can do it. I know it isn't going to be easy but I need it so badly. I did cut out the soda but I just did that July 31.I have been told by many that if I stop drinking the soda I will lose weight by that alone but I don't see no change just yet. It is going to be really hard on not eating processed food but I know if I don't cut it out I am not going to get anywhere in my life. I know if I don't start this I am not going to get anywhere in life. I have the treadmill in my sight now so I am going to get on it. I tried it about 2 months ago and only was able to be on it 7 mins and I thought I was going to kill over so I wonder if I will be able to move myself up and last longer. I know I sure am going to give it a shot,
  • chelleo2l
    chelleo2l Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank You for the tip. I am going to start this journey tomorrow and I hope I can do it. I know it isn't going to be easy but I need it so badly. I did cut out the soda but I just did that July 31.I have been told by many that if I stop drinking the soda I will lose weight by that alone but I don't see no change just yet. It is going to be really hard on not eating processed food but I know if I don't cut it out I am not going to get anywhere in my life. I know if I don't start this I am not going to get anywhere in life. I have the treadmill in my sight now so I am going to get on it. I tried it about 2 months ago and only was able to be on it 7 mins and I thought I was going to kill over so I wonder if I will be able to move myself up and last longer. I know I sure am going to give it a shot,

7 minutes 1 day, 8 minutes the next, and so on and so forth.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yay Rita! small steps. Add more vegetables and healthy fats before you take your regular foods away. Add more isometrics to wake up your muscles. Tai Chi and simple barre moves, like the ones at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prXDUEjBb3Q get your circulation going.

If you get on the treadmill, it is better to go slower steeper longer, than going fast. Stretch after working on the treadmill, not before. Use slower walking to warm up.

Try to take your walking outside once in a while to give you mental images to remember when you are back at the treadmill.

MFPers walking with you!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Glad you joined MFP. I know you feel overwhelmed right now. Make mini goals, 10 to 15 pounds at a time.

Don't go for any diets. Long term weight loss is simply calories in versus calories out. Meaning that two slices of bread turn into one, a piece of cake is now a sliver. If you eat out a lot remember that the serving sizes are typically huge, designed to make certain no one leaves hungry, so eat 1/2 and leave the rest. Skip the fries at fast food, switch your drinks to diet only, or drink water.

It's all portion control. Yes you will get hungry,. No one loses weight without getting those uncomfortable hunger pangs. They will subside once your brain and stomach get accustomed to your new calorie intake. Remember that a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.

As you keep logging in you will learn the healthier choices. The foods that are less in calories, and you'll learn to like them, and eventually they'll sound better than the fast food. With fast food Subway is the best choice, remember to load up on the vegi's and skip the chips and cookies. You'll have your bad days, just make certain the majority of your days are good.

Start walking more, when comfortable with that, increase your distance and speed. Be faithful about logging in each day, be honest about how many calories you're consuming and you'll get there. This is going to take a long time, make it a lifestyle change, meaning for the rest of your life.

Welcome, you can do this just stick with it and don't get discouraged.
  • RebeccaMaunder
    RebeccaMaunder Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from Rita. I started at 355 and am down 9lbs now thanks to MFP. It is not easy and I am learning a lot from a lot of people here. I understand that eating out is so easy and you get used to it, but I am starting to get used to eating at home.
    I've started by eating leaner meats, I eat mostly chicken, and adding more veggies to things like making chicken wraps with pre cooked chicken pieces, lettuce, a little bit of cheese and a table spoon of salad dressing in a tortilla. It is very yummy.
    I know that you can do this. If you want some motivation just go over to the success stories there are lots there of people who have lost the weight.

We can do this!

Becca
  • juljaldha
    Options
    Glad you joined MFP. I know you feel overwhelmed right now. Make mini goals, 10 to 15 pounds at a time.

Don't go for any diets. Long term weight loss is simply calories in versus calories out. Meaning that two slices of bread turn into one, a piece of cake is now a sliver. If you eat out a lot remember that the serving sizes are typically huge, designed to make certain no one leaves hungry, so eat 1/2 and leave the rest. Skip the fries at fast food, switch your drinks to diet only, or drink water.

It's all portion control. Yes you will get hungry,. No one loses weight without getting those uncomfortable hunger pangs. They will subside once your brain and stomach get accustomed to your new calorie intake. Remember that a calorie is a calorie regardless if it comes from carrots or cookies, protein, fat or carbs.

As you keep logging in you will learn the healthier choices. The foods that are less in calories, and you'll learn to like them, and eventually they'll sound better than the fast food. With fast food Subway is the best choice, remember to load up on the vegi's and skip the chips and cookies. You'll have your bad days, just make certain the majority of your days are good.

Start walking more, when comfortable with that, increase your distance and speed. Be faithful about logging in each day, be honest about how many calories you're consuming and you'll get there. This is going to take a long time, make it a lifestyle change, meaning for the rest of your life.

Welcome, you can do this just stick with it and don't get discouraged.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Good luck, Rita! There are a lot of folks on MFP who have lost 100+ lbs. so they are great examples!!

As far as setting up MFP to track your progress, the first step is to go to Settings > Update diet/fitness profile and enter in your Current Weight, Goal Weight (I put in a realistic number here), Height, normal daily activity level (I put mine at Sedentary because I work a desk job), and how many times a week you plan on exercising (this would be your normal activity that you always will do every week). I put down that I would do 5 days of 20 mins. each, which I do walking from the parking lot to my office (and back again) every day.

I am not sure how much weight you want to lose per week. Members that have lost 100 lbs. or more will be able to advise you better. I put 1 lb. per week for me. You can adjust that at any time based on how you feel. Click Update Profile, and MFP will tell you how many calories it recommends that you eat each day. You can "earn back" calories by doing exercise and logging it on the Exercise tab each day. At the end of the day, your calories should be close to the number recommended (but don't give up if they aren't perfect all the time!).

Some ideas to help would be to substitute starchy items like potatoes, chips, or fries with green veggies (the frozen steam in the bag ones are super easy). That will help you bring your calorie count down. In addition, you can replace regular soda with plain water or water with Mio flavoring drops will help ( http://www.makeitmio.com/mio-original ). That will save you money as well. :smile: Also, portioning out your food before you eat it will help. You can weigh it if you have a scale or just measure it.

Those are just some basic ideas... One day at a time! Good luck!!
  • gretaliana
    Options
    About 20 months ago it took me 20 min to walk a mile on the treadmill and I felt like I was pushing myself to even do that. This past May I ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) in 2 hours and 29 minutes. You can do this! Increase your water intake and focus on eating fresh fruit or vegetables at every meal. There are so many resources online that can help you make informed choices regarding your diet. Good luck to you and know that I am rooting for you.
  • Howland_Rita
    Howland_Rita Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank each and everyone of you, you all gave me some good advice and I think I can do this with everyone help and support. I am so glad that I came back to this site. I was on it before but didn't really use it much. I know in my heart that this is going to be hard at first but I am hoping it will get easier along the way. For once in my life I feel that I found somewhere that I belong. Thank You all for making me feel welcome..
  • juljaldha
    Options
    Rita,

I understand completely I weigh 329 lbs! I just started with my Lifestyle change about 3 weeks ago.

I wasn't feeling good and went to the Doctor and found out that I have Diabetes Type II. My A1C was 6.7 and should be lower than 6.5 but since I am under 7.0 he was not going to subscribe medication. He said that I needed to change my eating habits and exercise and by doing that I can take control. I like you ate fast food daily, it is easier to drive up and order a meal than cook for one person. He told me to remember this about fast food joints "If you can drive through its not good for you", he also said to stop eating processed foods. He told me by doing just that I would have a good start.

I am 52 years old and I do not take medications now and don't want to start. What he told me scared me because I do not want to be Diabetic and take meds. I committed to myself that day that I was going to do this to be HEALTHY for me, my children and grandchildren. I realize that only I can make this change. So I researched healthy recipes online (for me Diabetic) and found some good recipes. I am still struggling but hanging in there, It is hard to find good foods that I like but I'm doing it and SO CAN YOU. Just BELIEVE in yourself and remember you are loved.

I don't like to take pictures either, but realize the more I take, the more I look at myself, and the more I feel motivated. I don't like that I am fat so again, since I committed to myself I joined Lifetime Fitness (my Health insurance discounted the application fee). My daughter and 3 grandchildren joined with me, the kids are $10.00 a month and that allows them to go to the children's center for 2 hours each time we are there. We started with swimming (I hate that I am in a bathing suit so I wear a T-shirt over it), been doing that for 3 weeks now I am comfortable with that so We joined a Hydro Training class (I just started yesterday). It was hard but fun and the people there have encouraged me, not just the staff the people too. Lifetime fitness gives you what they call LT Bucks that you can use for other services so I used mine for a Nutritional class and a Personal Trainer (that started today). Exercise and I are not friends, and boy am I feeling it. I just remember this is a Lifestyle change and it is for ME and I can do it. My life is worth it and SO IS YOURS. So far I have lost 4 lbs, I don't see it, but I tell myself in the long run I will. It's like pennies it adds up.

The main goal here is to be Comfortable with yourself, Love yourself, Accept yourself and most of all Believe in yourself!
    Have faith, YOU CAN DO THIS just make it a want, and want it bad, be dedicated to it like you are dedicated to your children. Remember to set a goal, start with small achievable ones, those come easier. The big goal will come but it will take time. Log your food daily, that is important because that will let you know where your at. Get a pedometer I got a Fitbit (you can buy them at Walmart, Target or online at their website fitbit.com) this way you can keep a count on your steps. I haven't reached 10,000 steps yet but working on it, I take more each day. Don't be discouraged if you fall below your expectations don't worry, No one is perfect. I wish you luck on your Start Over and here's to you for making the first step.
  • Aemely
    Options
    About 20 months ago it took me 20 min to walk a mile on the treadmill and I felt like I was pushing myself to even do that. This past May I ran a half marathon (13.1 miles) in 2 hours and 29 minutes. You can do this! Increase your water intake and focus on eating fresh fruit or vegetables at every meal. There are so many resources online that can help you make informed choices regarding your diet. Good luck to you and know that I am rooting for you.

Greta, wow, you are very inspirational. You have come so far in a relatively short time! Congratulations on your journey! I can't imagine ever running a half marathon, or even a quarter marathon... You go, girl! :flowerforyou:
  • Aemely
    Options
    The main goal here is to be Comfortable with yourself, Love yourself, Accept yourself and most of all Believe in yourself!
    Have faith, YOU CAN DO THIS just make it a want, and want it bad, be dedicated to it like you are dedicated to your children. Remember to set a goal, start with small achievable ones, those come easier.

juljaldha, good luck with your journey to better health!! You are inspiring us!! :flowerforyou:
  • moonbeams896
    moonbeams896 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've been here a little over 3 months and it's been life changing for me! i've lost 17 pounds and really started being healthier. To me, one of the important things was that I be able to still eat the things I love. I'm a starbucks junkie and I need my starbucks every day. I've learned how to change my order a little so it's less calories, but in the end, I just add it in and make room for it in my day to day life.

In the beginning, I set my goal to lose 1.5 lbs/week, but I found I just wasn't eating enough food and would get hungry too often. My original goal was to lose 100 pounds (now down to 83), so I reset my goal to lose 1 lb/week and I am quite happy with the progress. I may be taking it off slower, but I know I can live this way. If I try to deprive myself and I'm miserable all of the time, I know I won't stick with this and it's a lifestyle change, not a "diet" so I have to find what I can live with.

When I started working out, I walked .5 miles very slowly and was really out of breath. Now I'm walking a 5k everyday and I just started Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. You can do this! The people on this site are so supportive and extremely inspirational! Add me if you like, I'm always looking for more friends.

Good luck! We'll be here for you.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for having the courage to start a new life! New habits are hard to form, and you're so smart to ask for support. For what they are worth, here are some ideas that help me:

I read that as you're trying to form new habits, your brain actually grows new neural pathways that make the new habits become natural, and it takes about one month. Whenever I'm tempted to back-slide, I tell myself, "I want my brain to be stronger so I can be a happy, slim person!" or "I'll be good for the sake of my brain!"

Hunger can be pretty intense the first week, but don't let that scare you (and it probably will.) After the first week, it's much easier.
    Keep reminding yourself, "This part won't last forever."

Getting enough protein and fat is really, really important! At least for me it is. When I eat enough protein and fat, I feel like a different person. I'm more in control of my choices and have better energy. "I'll have turkey and avocado in a whole wheat wrap, please!"

Sugar is the enemy. At least for me, eating sugary things makes me crave and obsess over more sugar things. "Peace of mind is so much better than a piece of cake."

And finally, research shows that motivation is supported by positive thinking, not negative thinking. Don't say, "I hate being fat." Say, "I will love being slimmer, and living my dream!"

You are going to do great! Just keep believing!