Calories Burned during weights?

Options
Ok the one thing I don't like is that MFP does not tell you how many calories you burned while lifting weights, crunches and etc.... How do you guys figure that in when you record? Need help

Replies

• candyliquor
    Options
    When I log stuff like that, I don't use the 'strength training' section, since it doesn't actually calorie burn count like the cardio part does. But if you go to add something under the cardio section and search "Strength training" you'll get "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) " and I use that when logging any sort of weight or strength work outs. I have no idea how accurate it is though. As far as crunches and the like, I know you can search 'sit ups' and 'pull ups' and what not under the cardio section as well.

I hope that helps!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitness Tracker on SparkPeople.com and just put their numbers on MFP.
    LIVESTRONG.com also has a Calorie Calculator, I believe, but I am not as familiar with it.
  • VanessaVegana
    VanessaVegana Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I look up on google how many calories a certain activity burns and then I create my own exercise on here :)
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    If you log your weight lifting under cardiovascular exercise, it will provide an estimated calorie burn based on the length of your workout.

As far as how accurate that estimate is, it's anybody's guess: even the top researchers in the field can't tell you how many calories are burned during weight lifting. There are so many variables: what muscle groups were being worked, how intensely were you working them, how long were your rests between sets, how long were the eccentric and concentric movements in each rep, how much muscle do you have already, etc., the list literally goes on and on and on (and gets very technical the farther down the list you go).

Personally, I don't eat back my weight lifting calories at all - precisely because there's no accurate way to do it. A lot of people will say that you should eat back half of any exercise calories, but that's a matter of personal preference. It's really up to you how you want to handle it.
  • lovecrystaljoy
    lovecrystaljoy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone I did try google but Nothing for Crunches maybe I will have to do sit ups I did 210 crunches all different ways not sure how long though hmm thanks
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    Thank you that does help alot
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    To get calorie credit for weightlifting go under cardio & search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)".
    It's not much of a credit, but it's better than nothing (which is what you get if you enter the work under "strength training"), & it's easier than trying to find every exercise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,545 Member
    Options
    I have a more or less good idea how much calories on average my strength training is burning (some excel sheet exercise and lots of data collection). As I'm more interested in the duration and calorie burn I'm logging it at whatever I can find that has a similar calorie burn over the same time. For swimming for example I'm logging a certain walking speed up hill, for strength training a certain other walking speed. Seems to work ;)
  • lovecrystaljoy
    Options
    When I log stuff like that, I don't use the 'strength training' section, since it doesn't actually calorie burn count like the cardio part does. But if you go to add something under the cardio section and search "Strength training" you'll get "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) " and I use that when logging any sort of weight or strength work outs. I have no idea how accurate it is though. As far as crunches and the like, I know you can search 'sit ups' and 'pull ups' and what not under the cardio section as well.

I hope that helps!
    It does thank.you so much

• amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Invest in a heart rate monitor---so worth it!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ashmeg84 wrote: »
    Invest in a heart rate monitor---so worth it!

HRMs aren't designed to track calories burned during weight lifting. They are only even remotely accurate during steady state cardio.