A Fit-Bit is totally unnecessary...

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Btw: Sticking it in my bra is what caused me to wash it one too many times! ;) be careful with that
    I got my first Fitbit almost 5 years ago and still have it. I think I'm immune to washing them. I'm so used to wearing them it just goes on the dresser at night and back on in the morning. Though I STILL usually touch my chest when I start the laundry, to make sure it's on me! :tongue:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I gave serious thought to getting one but then decided that I probably wouldn't trust it anyway and would second guess it, plus it wouldn't do what I'm most curious about (calculate the burn of my taekwondo class) and so I'd be paying $100+ just for curiosity's sake. Though work is having STEPtember so I need a pedometer for that, they are recommending we download the app Moves - but it's reviews are fairly negative...
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Fit bits are kinda creepy and they look like something you would wear if you were under house arrest, like one of those ankle bracelets.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    for me the goal is to become a naturally thin person again. … I want to get away from logging food…and counting calories..and gosh..the idea of having that thing monitoring my every move? yikes!
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I got my Fitbit a year ago and love it. As I have a sedentary job, it really help me move more before and after work to get those steps. I also have a friend with one and we challenge each other weekly. I used to obsess when I first got it but now it's just a cool tool to use.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    My FItbit Force is dead on my desk. Enough said.

Some people have actually documented that their Fitbit has made them gain weight.

It goes like this ..... you walk your 10,000 steps, Fitbit says you burned 2400 Calories, you figure you can eat 500 of those calories as you should have plenty to spare, you eat said calories .. but the Fitbit is wrong and those calories you just ate cause you to actually gain .. as the Fitbit is just a device, and like your HRM may actually be "way out" on your calorie burn.

So .. thus, you thought you were doing well and such, but that device actually caused you to gain due to the fact that for some people the data it spits out is just not accurate.

Fortunately I found it easy to lose and I am in maintenance. But personally I think that these devices are only good for one thing ... motivation. That motivation could get you off the couch where you would not have done otherwise ... and that for some people can lead to good things. But for others .. these devices can be a failure.

They are just estimates (aka math calculations) when it comes to calorie burn amounts and you have to see how your real world numbers work out. If they are different than your Fitbit / Nike / Jawbone / Polar / Garmin / Soleus etc .. you will have to alter what you do. And .. from what I have seen .. there is NO Perfect Fitness Tracker.

Oh I now use a NIKE Fuelband SE ... much more fun than a Fitbit, but it does give considerably less steps than a Fitbit.

If you are a stepper / dieter then stay with a Fitbit. If you want something more ... there are other options out there.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree, it's not for everyone. But I have one and love it though; I do get a little obsessed with some stuff sometimes but generally, I'm more laid back and less harsh on myself. I use it mainly for motivation though... love seeing those happy little faces on my fitbit dashboard. lol... Also, It used to be that I rarely would move around during the weekend but since I've bought fitbit, I find that I take a morning walk or run plus an evening walk almost every single day and now, if I don't get at least one morning or evening walk in, I don't feel right. Thank you, fitbit. :D
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Fit bits are kinda creepy and they look like something you would wear if you were under house arrest, like one of those ankle bracelets.

They have clip-on ones, too.

I've owned all three current Fitbits - just got the Flex two weeks ago. It helps me see how active I am on the job (I work in retail and am always walking around) and if I need to do a little more walking at night. Obviously, yes, it's not for everyone, but it's certainly helped me out a lot.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Kev- Why don't you return your broken Force or throw it out?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My FItbit Force is dead on my desk. Enough said.

Some people have actually documented that their Fitbit has made them gain weight.

It goes like this ..... you walk your 10,000 steps, Fitbit says you burned 2400 Calories, you figure you can eat 500 of those calories as you should have plenty to spare, you eat said calories .. but the Fitbit is wrong and those calories you just ate cause you to actually gain .. as the Fitbit is just a device, and like your HRM may actually be "way out" on your calorie burn.

So .. thus, you thought you were doing well and such, but that device actually caused you to gain due to the fact that for some people the data it spits out is just not accurate.

Fortunately I found it easy to lose and I am in maintenance. But personally I think that these devices are only good for one thing ... motivation. That motivation could get you off the couch where you would not have done otherwise ... and that for some people can lead to good things. But for others .. these devices can be a failure.

They are just estimates (aka math calculations) when it comes to calorie burn amounts and you have to see how your real world numbers work out. If they are different than your Fitbit / Nike / Jawbone / Polar / Garmin / Soleus etc .. you will have to alter what you do. And .. from what I have seen .. there is NO Perfect Fitness Tracker.

Oh I now use a NIKE Fuelband SE ... much more fun than a Fitbit, but it does give considerably less steps than a Fitbit.

If you are a stepper / dieter then stay with a Fitbit. If you want something more ... there are other options out there.
    You should sell it on eBay. :)
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    I CANNOT Believe the number of responses this one got ??? Thank God I didn't read them lol...
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I gave serious thought to getting one but then decided that I probably wouldn't trust it anyway and would second guess it, plus it wouldn't do what I'm most curious about (calculate the burn of my taekwondo class) and so I'd be paying $100+ just for curiosity's sake. Though work is having STEPtember so I need a pedometer for that, they are recommending we download the app Moves - but it's reviews are fairly negative...

I just brought a MP3 player for my son's birthday at Walmart. It has a pedometer on it. I purchased the 8gb one for $28 but they had some 4gb ones under $20 just make sure you check to see if they have the pedometer first. :)
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I use mine mostly to make sure I get my 10,000 steps a day. I focus on tracking on mfp with food and creating the deficit. You're right, it depends on your personality and focus.

^this! Totally depends on the person. I love mines, and my family and friends help motivate me to reach my goals and surpass them. I know I move much more than I did without one. I still rely on MFP for food, and inputting exercise. I use a HRM to track my burn.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit - i don't feel defeated when i don't achieve the 10,000 steps - i do feel motivated to achieve that success daily. I guess if we followed the logic your applying or no one would measure our food or use MFP because of feeling "defeated" when we don't stay under our calorie goal. Just saying......
  • Hikr56
    Hikr56 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to post this. I was wondering if I should go this route or stick with my old fashioned pedometer. Knowing my obsessive/compulsive tendencies, I shall remain old fashioned!
  • Jennkies
    Jennkies Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have used mine regularly for 10 weeks. At first it made me obsessive. I wanted to reach a higher count day after day. But then I realized it was wearing me down as I was trying to move more than my body wanted or needed. But now that the newness has worn off, it helps me be less obsessive. Instead of needing to follow a specific walking path I can enjoy walking around the yard to follow my son while he drives his ride on toy. It motivates me to chase my son around the house more. Also, I can count my walking and running as I clean the house. As long as I reach 10,000 a day I feel very comfortable and accomplished. 15,000? Well, that it awesome.

**Edit: I will note that a regular pedometer is about as useful as a fit bit if you don't want to become obsessive about it. The weekly progress reports - including a 'best day' and 'worst day' as well as an average count - can be discouraging if all you want is your daily counts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I just got my Jawbone UP...I don't need it but I like it.

I like that it reminds me to move on a schedule...mine is set to 15mins but I could set it to 30mins. I like that is tracks my sleep patterns and has a silent alarm that wakes me at an optimal time. I like it...so far so good.

I don't see a difference between it and MFP or a pedometer really. They are all used for keeping track.

And Yes I have obsessive tendancies too and I love checking my steps but it's actually harder for me with the Jawbone as it's not blue tooth...with my pedometer I just have to look down...(yes I still wear my pedometer to double check against my Jawbone at least until Sept anyway (walking contest at work using Pedometers and I find my Jawbone at first under counted my steps)
  • dlr165
    dlr165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm an IT analyst. What I like about the Fitbit is the same thing I like about MFP. It provides data. Data I can measure and use to adjust my goals and record my results over long periods of time.
    Everyone uses these tools differently. For some, these tools are helpful. For others, they can become an issue. To each their own.

+1 I wear it faithfully and make sure I get my steps and calorie burn in. It pretty closely matches what I am losing, so I guess it is accurate for me. Love it!
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love mine and have used it consistently for 2 years. It can be a nice push to get out there and take a walk or step on the elliptical for a bit of extra exercise on a day where I am not moving much.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options

I just brought a MP3 player for my son's birthday at Walmart. It has a pedometer on it. I purchased the 8gb one for $28 but they had some 4gb ones under $20 just make sure you check to see if they have the pedometer first. :)
    Also, the Fitbit Zip is $59, not $100, and has most of the features of the other models.