Replies

• mmachell
    mmachell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is eating clean,?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Have most people who are replying actually looked at OP's stat's??

OP you are a 64 year old female.
    Keep in mind that many of those posters replying saying 1500 is fine for me, are not 64 year old females.. Depending on your height and your activity level, 1500 may be too much for you to lose on - or it may be about right.

This seems a rather arbitary question to me - you need to either proivde your full statistics (ie height, activity level, starting weight, as well as age and gender, which we have) so people can give a more informed answer - or feed those statistics into a calculator to get the answer.

I still hold you can lose on 1500cal if you're eating clean and a bit active. I think that most people who have weight to lose can lose on 1500. If you can't lose on 1500 calories, you probably don't have weight to lose. I've always thought 1200 was too extreme. It isn't about sticking to a magic number 1200, food is a lot more complicated. If you're avoiding the sugar and eating around 1500 and are even lightly active, you will more than likely lose the weight.

op, I think its much healthier way to lose weight. If you want results, worry less about the 1200 number and more about cutting down the sugar, eating clean and being consistent that's the message. good luck:flowerforyou:

OP didn't even mention 1200, not sure why you are bringing that magic number into this.
    I agree most people can lose on 1500 - however this question was about a specific individual, not most people, and, depending on that individual's age, gender, height, activity level, starting weight - 1500 may or may not be right for them .

We know Op is a 64 year old female - if she is also short and not very active,then 1500 may be too much. If she is taller and more active and has a larger starting weight, then 1500, or more, may be right.

My point standing - until she provides that info, we just don't know.

I lost on less than1500 following amount calculator gave me ( at the slowest rate of 0.5 lb per week, I might add) and I did have weight to lose. My BMI was 28 and I was 10 kg overweight.

Well I'm not a doctor so I couldn't give tailored individual weightloss advice - thats why I've said *most people* I mentioned 1200 because I think thats the default setting on mfp. I mentioned 1500 because that was the ops question and having considered minimum bmr I think that if someone has weight to lose, they can on 1500 provided they are sensible. I mentioned sugar because I'm in Science and that's a bigger weightloss factor than calories. I think worry less about the calorie counting and more about cutting down on sugar, being consistent, exercising and eating cleanly and do this over time. Most people who do that will lose weight if they have it to lose. And I say most people because there are various health conditions which might affect weightloss. For individual tailored plans, people should consult their healthcare providers.
    No 1200 isn't the default setting - it's the minimum setting that people often select by setting an aggressive weight loss target.
    See Heybales' explanation above.

As for the sugar comments - just no, utterly false.

Gosh This forum is so argumentative.

I mentioned 1200 because it is what most people are using on mfp.

I mentioned sugar and cleaning eating because of studies. Are you a Scientist? I am.
    LOL at "scientist" and butthurt :laugh:
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Gosh This forum is so argumentative.

Oh no it isn't :-p
  • Steve_Rance
    Options
    This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I lose on 2300-2500 calories.
    Which is entirely irrelevant.
  • LanceDuvall
    LanceDuvall Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What is TDEE?
  • Steve_Rance
    Options

It all comes down to logging cals in and out as accurately as possible, and making adjustments as needed.

That's exactly my point - you can log as accurately as you want but you're always going to have to check progress and make adjustments.

Just find it odd how people can get so focused on the numbers and *having* to stick to say 1500 - suck it and see for a month, then like you say make adjustments, guidelines are good but everyone will get different results :)
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Quite the forum for a simple question :)

I'm 5'1" and 57; I maintain at 1450 cal a day and can only lose if I'm less, so no, I couldn't lose on 1500 day. As many others have said it depends entirely on age, gender, weight, height, activity level. Cal in / cal out.

Best wishes to you, OP!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

It all comes down to logging cals in and out as accurately as possible, and making adjustments as needed.

That's exactly my point - you can log as accurately as you want but you're always going to have to check progress and make adjustments.

Just find it odd how people can get so focused on the numbers and *having* to stick to say 1500 - suck it and see for a month, then like you say make adjustments, guidelines are good but everyone will get different results :)

but the more accurate you are on the front end, the easier it is to make an adjustment.

using the same diary entries regularly, etc.

also, it takes longer than just a month to adjust. Give it a 1.5 or 2 before changing.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    There is a mean spiritedness in this forum which is so sad because this used to be such a kind place. Now everybody seems to try and get one over on everyone else.

I recommend anyone who doesn't know about the sugar epidemic to go and read up on it. There are plenty of articles available on it. A good place to start is a youtube video called 'The bitter truth about sugar' I'm sure a lot of people have already seen this and there has been a lot more studies since to support this. Anybody who would like to hear more about it please feel free to pm me for more links to studies in this area of food science. It is a really interesting area and Im truly excited about what is currently happening there. I really hope that it will bring about positive changes in the food industry.

Listen I wish you all the best with your individual journeys.:flowerforyou:

Monday Mean People Thread in 3...2...1....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    There is a mean spiritedness in this forum which is so sad because this used to be such a kind place. Now everybody seems to try and get one over on everyone else.

I recommend anyone who doesn't know about the sugar epidemic to go and read up on it. There are plenty of articles available on it. A good place to start is a youtube video called 'The bitter truth about sugar' I'm sure a lot of people have already seen this and there has been a lot more studies since to support this. Anybody who would like to hear more about it please feel free to pm me for more links to studies in this area of food science. It is a really interesting area and Im truly excited about what is currently happening there. I really hope that it will bring about positive changes in the food industry.

Listen I wish you all the best with your individual journeys.:flowerforyou:

Monday Mean People Thread in 3...2...1....

Got my bingo card out already.
  • fortysixpounds
    fortysixpounds Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    D'oh I wasn't gonna return to this...human nature eh.

Just to clarify, as stated, if anybody wants to read studies I'd be happy to link them, just send me a pm. In any case my advice to the op was more rounded than about sugar, cherrypicking indeed.

To the last two posters and the one previous with the 'butthurt' comments, you may not be aware of this but your combined voices make you sound like a pack of highschool bullies. And I'm sure you're not, I'm sure you're nice people but the way you've used your voices here, it doesn't convey that. It feels unkind. And if you read back from my perspective, you might be able to see that with an open mind. Thankfully I am not a newbie or I would feel really discouraged by the mob mentality. I'm done with my original journey I only want to help other people who might be struggling the way I was. I have helped others, I started and ran the '10 down' challenges on here where we went on to lose a combined 1,000 lbs. I try to help. Regardless of whether you agree with my advice/input or not, there is a way to speak to people which is kind and a way that is not, one is helpful, the other is not. I found your input both unhelpful and unkind, it only served to belittle me. So I really do wish you the best of luck and hope that you will hear this in the positive way it is intended :flowerforyou: