Replies

• joseph113085
    Options
    what is the fitness tips ? that can loss weight easier
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    what is the fitness tips ? that can loss weight easier

There IS no easy way...... Eat less and mover more... them's the facts.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Also 4 hours of exercise a day?

So, 4 hours a day to burn one pound at 3500 cals per pound (approx) = nearly 4 hours at 875 cals/hrs or exercise EVERY DAY ... Not gonna happen...... NEXT PLAN

Do pro athletes burn that much in four hours? It takes a elite fitness to burn something like that. I pretty sure OP might burn half of that in four hours.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    No, just be patient you will see results in no time
  • ThomRhodes
    ThomRhodes Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd pass on that idea, just exercise regularly and eat healthy. Drink water and water only - even tea is unneeded calories!
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'd pass on that idea, just exercise regularly and eat healthy. Drink water and water only - even tea is unneeded calories!

Water, now that's a good one. My sister rates drinking lots of water as helpful for all sorts of things including helping to lose weight (given the other essentials of eating less and moving more). Thanks, ThomRhodes
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No, just be patient you will see results in no time

Thank you, Tanie, that is a lovely response.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

There is no reason to only drink water. While I would agree that you shouldn't drink a lot of calories, you can still have them as part of a good diet.

Many of us also frequently have diet soda's, unsweetened teas and/or coffee as part of a regular diet. I frequently mix milk with my protein shakes. But in the end, it's about context. Should a person have 3 20oz sodas every day... no. But will having some milk, OJ or another beverage hurt your progress, nope.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    not a race, and if you try you will burn out and give it all back. I know my first 6mo I avg 6 to 7lbs a week, but I was a big boy!
  • KatieSvelte
    Options
    I could GAIN a pound a day.. LOL

I think thats more DO-able then losing a lb a day.

I think if you lost a LB a day it may just be water weight.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I could. Gain a pound a day that is. LOL

I think thats more DO-able then losing a lb a day.

I do not think my stomach has room to gain a pound a day now.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about an experiment and trying to understand how the body works.

To maintain my current weight requires, say, 1,900 calories, so to lose weight at a steady, sustainable rate, consume, say, 1,400 calories each day. But the loss is not simply from fat tissue, is it? It's from muscle and fat alike?

At different rates, but basically yes. Fat, muscle and other tissue.
    So the idea of exercise - aerobic and strength building - is to build muscle a) to replace what's lost through eating less and b) to change the ratio of muscle to fat which implies increasing the muscle mass and c) to increase muscle mass to increase metabolic rate.

Unless you are morbidly obese or a first timer when it comes to strength, eating at a close to maintenance rate (including exercise calories) gaining muscle can be very very slow, IF it happens. Strength alone is not enough, you will also have to fuel with enough protein preserve muscle mass, and yes muscle mass does increase your metabolic rate but it's a far smaller increase than you would expect.
    Does muscle mass increase simply by using it more, as in being more active? Or does increasing muscle mass imply strength or resistance training/activity?

There are quite a few theories about how muscle grows but one of the circulating ones is that you need to train your muscle close to fatigue to damage the fibers, making muscle sells grow in size to protect themselves from further damage. That's why if you want to increase muscle you will need to work hard on resistance training and keep increasing the challenge level as you progress.
    Would you need more energy (more calories) for more exercise, say four times as much exercise than the starting place of 1,400 calories? Does the metabolism go into starvation mode in response to greater activity, as well as in response to less (too little) food?
    It will not go into starvation mode but you WILL need extra calories to fuel exercise. You may feel hungry, stressed, drained, tired and a few other things. You will also need more carbs for energy, and more protein and fat for muscles and hormones to play nice.
    I believe metabolism uses immediate energy from consumed calories, as well as stored energy from body tissue, is there a threshold or ratio, is it possible to calculate, assuming an increased rate of activity.
    I believe I've read something about that earlier, can't remember where but there is a limit to how much fat you can store/release.
    And last question, would you lose a pound a day, or, as fat is replaced with muscle, would weight loss be less, although body shape would change.
    If you lose a pound a day, nothing will be "replaced" with muscle. In fact, your muscle mass will decrease drastically no matter how much you train, because when you over-train, you can even make things worse by triggering a process of Rhabdomyolysis which can be quite dangerous (and which involves breaking down muscles), not to mention how it could wreck havoc in your hormones, nutrient balance, electrolytes, ability to heal and increased stress on nearly all your systems and unavoidably causing injuries which may take you months to recover from.
  • joedlfowler
    joedlfowler Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in. I joined this site in July 2013, a little over a month before I was scheduled to go skydiving. I exceeded the weight limit by about 26lbs. I set a goal for myself of 30lbs in 30 days, and was able to do it. Here are a few of my thoughts (not an expert)

1: I weighed 276lbs to start, so I had some extra meat to lose. I think the larger you are the quicker you can melt it, to an extent, because everything you do requires more energy than a smaller person

2: I went pretty extreme. My job had me walking almost 20km a day on weekends, about 12km a day during the week. This was my entire cardio plan. I didn't do anything exercise wise outside of it.

3: I practiced intermittent fasting. I would consume all my calories between 10am and 6pm everyday, never outside of those hours.

4: I went from approximately a glass of water a day to 2.5L of ice water.

5: My daily caloric in take was between 1200 and 1500. All good calories, no drinking calories.

6: The first 3 days sucked. Then it was easy.

7: Many people told me it wasn't healthy, specifically those who only say me once a week, and could 'see' the weight coming off. I never felt bad during the cut, outside of the first 3 days. I took a multivitamin everyday to ensure I wasn't missing something.

8: I put the weight back on (10lbs of it). Not entirely unintentionally. You see, as a 276lb guy who walked for work so much, I wasn't in terrible shape. The weight cut was for a specific goal, once I did my jump, I lifted a bunch of limitations off myself.

9: I've decided I'm going to drop to 230lb from the 259lbs I am sitting as I write this, and will do it the same way, but because I no longer walk as much, will have to encorporate more intentional exercise. Plus I won't cut as quick. I'm saying 30 lbs in 60 days will probably do it.

Again, I was told by many people it wasn't healthy to cut, my doctor had no issue, as he had told me to lose wright before. Pushing 300lbs is apparently a health risk haha.

So, pound a day. Possible? Yes, if you are way to big to start, you are pretty active, and can hold to a restrictive eating schedule.

Ask your doctor, and do more research.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

2: I went pretty extreme. My job had me walking almost 20km a day on weekends, about 12km a day during the week. This was my entire cardio plan. I didn't do anything exercise wise outside of it.

Well done ... but wow that's one hell of a paper round :-)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Again, I was told by many people it wasn't healthy to cut, my doctor had no issue, as he had told me to lose wright before. Pushing 300lbs is apparently a health risk haha.

So, pound a day. Possible? Yes, if you are way to big to start, you are pretty active, and can hold to a restrictive eating schedule.

Ask your doctor, and do more research.

I second this. I started by losing 4-5 pounds a week. Not quite 1 pound a day but it's still substantial. I had to and I could because I was 300+. My doctor wanted me to drop out of super obese category (45+ BMI) as soon as possible. It was weighing the risks of staying longer at 300+ or losing too fast and my doctor chose to have me lose fast. Once I left super obesity zone I was advised to slow down my loss considerably.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi Shan,

I'm from Leicester, MA! Big hello from across the pond!

I looked at your food/exercise diary. I'm wondering if you're overestimating your calories burned during exercise.

You've listed about 830 calories from swimming for an hour. Now I know that this is probably what's listed in the MFP calculator, but I'm guessing that this is for some pretty rigorous swimming with no breaks. If you could really swim/burn this many calories in an hour, I doubt that you would be overweight.

I guess the point that people are trying to make is that the average person cannot burn this many calories in a day, every day, for a week even. I would suspect any calorie counters that tell you that you are......
  • AllieLosingIt
    AllieLosingIt Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm a big girl and I've been losing at a rate of 1 pound per day (starting weight July 31st of 336.2, weight on 8/17 was 318.4) doing no more than 40-60 minutes of walking and eating between 1500-2000 calories per day.

The bigger you are, the easier it is to drop weight fast with minimal effort. The closer you are to goal, the more you should be focusing on long-term results rather than a quick fix so that it's something sustainable and you don't end up gaining it all back.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Yes, but why would you want to?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    For a limited time, obviously :)

I was just wondering, if I ate my daily calorie allowance, and built in four hours exercise/activity each day, on top of the usual shopping, cooking, cleaning, running around activity, would you lose more?

Or would you just be ravenous? ;)

Without losing a good bit of lean mass...... Effectively lowering your BMR? No.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Though this seems highly unlikely for most of us in reality, I'll address one issue of whether or not it's plausible...
    If someone were to begin a workout routine that included 4-6 hours of cardio / day, his muscles would likely have a freak-out and retain a considerable amount of water in order to repair themselves. So even if the 3500 calories were burned, a weight gain might result due to the extra water.