Updating my settings,realistic or design to fail?

Options
Hi Guys

OK so i've been logging for 20 days now and was talking to a jogging buddy of mine and he was going to sign up to MFP to give it a shot. He's taller etc and he told me his calorie allowance was 3000+ where as mine was 1470. He's a bit taller etc so i just shrugged it off.

Then when comparing settings i noticed that i had put down that i was 'Lightly Active' on the basis that i do a bit of exercise and what not but now i've noticed that it in fact refers to my job etc.

"Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)"

I have a desk job in an office and i get out and about occasionally but I am sitting for a large portion of the day. So i changed it to Sedentary and now my allowance is 1200 cals.

I train x2 a week sports wise and go to the gym and or running another 1-2 times. Should i be keeping it as Sedentary or Lightly Active? And if i keep it at sedentary am i setting it up to always go over my calorie limit?

Any comments or thoughts welcome!

Replies

• MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    How tall are you/how much do you weigh/how much to lose?

I think you should leave it at lightly active.

And rather than listen to MFP, try using http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ or http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ to figure out your TDEE, subtract from there.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    That cant be right - unless you've been overly aggressive in your weight loss target.
    1200 is usually the setting that petite women get allocated

How tall/heavy are you?
  • lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options

im 5'10

Current weight 87.5KG

Goal weight is 82.6KG

Have it set to lose 1KG per week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what is your weekly weight loss goal? 2lbs a week?

If so change that to something more reasonable. Like 1/2lb a week...and remember you are suppose to log your exercise and eat those calories back...at least 50% of them.

Your friend is different than you. He could be using a different method...ie TDEE, his job could be very active, he could weigh more, he could weigh more and have 1/2lb a week weight lsos goal and do more exercise.

And to give perspective...I am 5 ft 7, workout 5x a week, a woman and almost 42....I lose on 2k a day...only about 1/4lb a week but I still lose. I am set to lightly active as I do get about 10k steps in a day without exercise...plus I lift 3x a week and walk/bike/hiit 2-4x a week.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

im 5'10

Current weight 87.5KG

Goal weight is 82.6KG

Have it set to lose 1KG per week.

exactly 1kg = appx 2.2lbs...change that to 1/2lb or 0.25kg
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there is absolutely no way you should be eating 1200 at 5'10.

I eat 1500 a day and I'm 5'8"- with eat back calories it puts me around 1800... I really should be eating 1600 total for better weight loss results- but I'm in no hurry -so I average 17-900.

1200 for a tall man is inconceivable.
  • lowerhogan
    Options

If so change that to something more reasonable. Like 1/2lb a week...and remember you are suppose to log your exercise and eat those calories back...at least 50% of them.

Your friend is different than you. He could be using a different method...ie TDEE, his job could be very active, he could weigh more, he could weigh more and have 1/2lb a week weight lsos goal and do more exercise.

And to give perspective...I am 5 ft 7, workout 5x a week, a woman and almost 42....I lose on 2k a day...only about 1/4lb a week but I still lose. I am set to lightly active as I do get about 10k steps in a day without exercise...plus I lift 3x a week and walk/bike/hiit 2-4x a week.

You think 1kg a week is too much? Set it to half that?

I log my exercise and training during the week also.
  • lowerhogan
    Options
    there is absolutely no way you should be eating 1200 at 5'10.

I eat 1500 a day and I'm 5'8"- with eat back calories it puts me around 1800... I really should be eating 1600 total for better weight loss results- but I'm in no hurry -so I average 17-900.

1200 for a tall man is inconceivable.

It's not very often i get called a tall man...thank you ha!

But why is it calculating this for me? I haven't input anything that i shouldn't have
  • lowerhogan
    Options

1,750 Calories / Day is my allowance now when i change it to .25

Was i reaching too far by saying 1KG a week?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

You think 1kg a week is too much? Set it to half that?

I log my exercise and training during the week also.

Ah heck yah...not even half...1/4 would be better

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

I know you want it off but by restricting yourself you are doing more harm than good.

And per the 1200 @ 5 ft 10..even 1400...my husband is your height and he maintains on 3000 a day and he isn't that active...he loses on 2500 a day...
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Agree that 1200 is way too low. I am a 38 year-old woman, 5'5" and 130 lbs (59kg), and have a desk job. I lose on 1700/day. I maintain on 2000-2200/day.

I'm fairly active outside of work but still. I pretty much sit or stand around all day.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

1,750 Calories / Day is my allowance now when i change it to .25

Was i reaching too far by saying 1KG a week?

IMHO yes...2.2lbs a week is fast fast and is usually good for people who have over 75lbs to lose.

1750 is better but just make sure you eat back exercise calories...and I suspect you could eat back at least 75%...
  • lowerhogan
    Options

I know you want it off but by restricting yourself you are doing more harm than good.

And per the 1200 @ 5 ft 10..even 1400...my husband is your height and he maintains on 3000 a day and he isn't that active...he loses on 2500 a day...

Ah ok. Well that explains that. I am in no rush really and i know slow and steady wins the race so I will change it to .25 a week : )
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    According to BMI, at 5'10" you should be between 130 - 170 lb (59 - 77.3 kg).
    http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf

If you're aiming for the top of that range, you should eat 1700 cal per day.
    That's total. Ignore net, ignore exercise. (That's what my doctor told me.)

To lose 0.5kg (1 lb) per week, figure your current energy needs (body weight x 10) and lop off 500 cal per day.
  • lowerhogan
    Options

To lose 0.5kg (1 lb) per week, figure your current energy needs (body weight x 10) and lop off 500 cal per day.

Jesus i thought i was doing ok until you told me i needed to be 170lb!! ha

Yeah i think 1700 is reasonable. then there is mixed messages about eating the calories you exercise...or don't etc.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Jesus i thought i was doing ok until you told me i needed to be 170lb!! ha

Yeah i think 1700 is reasonable. then there is mixed messages about eating the calories you exercise...or don't etc.

It depends on which method you are using.

If you use NEAT Method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) where the calories you are given are without any exercise added in then you eat back some of your calories you burn during exercise...that is the MFP method.

If you want to use TDEE (Total Daily Engery Expenditure) that does included exercise so you eat the same amount of calories everyday.

If you visit IIFYM.com there is a TDEE Calculator there I have found to be quite reasonable (it's pretty close to my personal calculated TDEE) enter your data and bam...you got it.

If you are consistent with Exercise TDEE is easy and useful...I have used it since Sept 2013 and it's been great.
  • lowerhogan
    Options

It depends on which method you are using.

If you use NEAT Method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) where the calories you are given are without any exercise added in then you eat back some of your calories you burn during exercise...that is the MFP method.

If you want to use TDEE (Total Daily Engery Expenditure) that does included exercise so you eat the same amount of calories everyday.

If you visit IIFYM.com there is a TDEE Calculator there I have found to be quite reasonable (it's pretty close to my personal calculated TDEE) enter your data and bam...you got it.

If you are consistent with Exercise TDEE is easy and useful...I have used it since Sept 2013 and it's been great.

THat site gave me this

Your BMR is:
    CALORIES/DAY
    Your TDEE is:
    CALORIES/DAY

So at 1750 that MFP is giving me , that's accurate enough?

Sorry, thanks for all your advice!