I'm back, but not real motivated

Options
I know it's a common story: Person gets motivated, works out and eats well, loses weight...then gains it all back. That's me. I lost about 30 lbs over a year ago. I was doing MFP and working out 4-6 times a week. At the time, I worked part-time, and had plenty of time to plan meals and get to the gym. Then, last June, I had to go to work full-time after not for over ten years. I love my job, but working 10 hours days on a regular basis was so stressful, and I just ate and ate, and didn't find the time to work out anymore. Work is now usually about 8 hours a day, so at least that's improved.

I have started making myself a super healthy, yummy salad each day to take to work for lunch. That's a huge step for me.

My ankles and knees hurt. I get out of breath climbing one flight of stairs. I HATE the way I look. And yet, I have such a hard time getting back in the groove.

I will be 50 in a year, and I don't want to feel or look like this anymore.

Any help y'all can give in getting back on the horse is appreciated. Help from folks who work lots of hours is greatly appreciated, especially. I don't know how to get exercise in without sacrificing sleep or family time.

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I dont have any tips but im in the same boat as you. I am 40lbs heavier since getting to my goal weight in 2011. I want to get fit and feel good but i am not feeling it. I also have bad knees now from doing crazy cross fit exercises before. I cant do the same thing i did before. I did do yoga before and that is low impact and i would lose 1lb a class without even watching what i ate.
  • RAEinterian
    RAEinterian Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    What's really been helping me lately is preparing food ahead of time! Prepackaged meals made from home that you can either eat cold or pop in the microwave, stuff you can store in the freezer, etc. I pick two days out of the week where I do meal prep (usually takes me less than two hours, sometimes even shorter depending on what I make for that week). I looked up a lot of YouTube videos & just online in general for recipes! As for working out, I turn to YouTube again. I watch this girl, Joanna Soh, on there & she actually had a video (I think she may have had more) where you can do a workout in short amounts of time, even in your pajamas. I went through the same boat, but unlike you, I despised my job & I was constantly stressed out. I needed to do these things to make it easier for me. You're off to a great start w/ the salads so keep it up! I'm sure you'll fall into a routine & it'll be like second nature. I'll be rooting for you & everyone else! (:
  • amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Am in the same boat, am up at least 30lbs since I got married in October 2012 (not quite two years). Ankles and knees hurt, hate how I look. I keep giving up on MFP because so much else in my life is stressing me out. I need to find a way to do this that will work for me in the long term. I know there is no easy way but there has to be something to make it easier to stick to.......... It is fair to say that I have been just miserable lately. Having food prep days sounds like a good idea though, I can't keep living on take-out food..... and I'm only 30.
  • ClaireBoe
    ClaireBoe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying. I wish losing weight were as easy as gaining it!
  • takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well done for getting back on the horse. A few thoughts...

You're working 8 hrs a day and we'll assume sleeping 8 hrs a day. Even if you give 1hr over to exercise you still have 7hrs left for family time so try to fit something in. Aside from anything else, it's important for YOU to have time for YOU and I would guess that your family would want to support that.

If you really can't fit any structured exercise into your day you can still add things in. Take the stairs instead of the lift, walk all or part way to work, incorporate exercise into family time - a walk together, play sport together, swim together.

Maybe invest in a pedometer - they are reasonably affordable - and aim for 10000 steps a day. I find the number going up pretty motivating!

You can do this!!
  • rlallain
    rlallain Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I also think it's easier to stick to it if you take one baby step at a time. Instead the old "starting on Monday, I will restrict my calories to X and do Y minutes of exercise a day", try making 1 small change each week. Week 1: Make your own healthy lunches. (Sounds like you're there! Great job!) Week 2: Pack some healthy snacks along with that healthy lunch so you can reach for a healthy option in the car instead of swinging by the drive-thru. Week 3: Buy that pedometer mentioned above and see how many steps you take on a normal day. Then try to increase it by a 1,000 steps each day until you reach 10,000 steps. I find that a quick 10-minute walk here & there throughout the day does wonders for increasing step count. Week 4: What other small change can you make? You get the idea! Make small changes and stick with them, then just add on. The whole "all or nothing" attitude has sent me on the up & down roller coaster ride one too many times! I tried changing my attitude this year and find that, while I certainly have a bad day / week here & there, I hop right back on the horse a lot faster than I did before when I take this baby-step approach. Good luck!!
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your struggle. I'm about to turn 40 on Oct. 1st and I too had last a bunch of weight and gained it back. Struggling this time around to lose and the motivation just isn't there. I wanted to lose 50-70 pounds before my 40th b-day. That was a year ago and I keep starting and stopping. Now my goal is to just stick with this. We are our own worst enemies.
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean......sometimes it's really hard to get on and do it even if you're really fed up with the way you are!
    Feel free to add me cos I need a kick up the *kitten* too!
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I work at least 8 hours a day, usually closer to 10 and still manage to work out for about an hour and a half 5-7x a week. That time is set aside for ME. So, I plan my meals ahead. I grocery shop on Sunday nights for "work food" so I have readily available breakfast, 2 snacks, and lunch for the entire week. I also plan my work outs ahead. I have a zillion sticky notes with different routines for cardio and various muscle groups; I get bored easily and cannot be doing the same workout all the time. You can do this. You have to make YOU a priority.
  • ErinsAvon
    ErinsAvon Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If your looking for friends feel free to add me. I am in a similar boat. Getting older certainly doesn't help us women lose weight. I am 37, back in 2011 I lost 30 of the 60 I wanted to lose and kept it off for about a year life and work got in the way, and gained back 40+, Even having an active job of cleaning houses didn't help me keep off the weight. My son (18) was starting having some health problems and was diagnosed with a form of MD last Summer and since I completely let myself go. I started using MFP again just under a month ago. Going to the gym, tracking my meals. Grocery shopping, and planning meals rather than eating out 5+ times per week. It is crazy what stress does to your habits. Now if only the scale would move.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    With weight loss, it's really not about motivation, its about compliance. Take it one day at a time and hit your calorie goal that day. All you can control is today, so aim to be compliant today.

ETA: I say this because motivation is great and all, but at some point it will wear off. You won't feel like it, your weight plateaus, or its just not shiny and new anymore. Motivation isn't what will get you to your goal. Simple compliance will. Compliance will build your new habits and will make it non-negotiable. This is just something you do, like brushing your teeth or doing laundry. It doesn't matter whether you feel like doing it or not, its just part of your life.