Is it possible to lose a pound a day?

Options
124»

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Possible, but not for a long period of time. And it depends on how much you have to lose, how determined you are and whether or not you will be able to sustain the loss or will be able to maintain the rate of loss. Pretty unlikely, and probably not doable for most people. I would think that you would have to do this with a health care professionals supervision, and approval.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there... This topic never gets old. Glad to see that there are in fact some very educational responses here! Thank you to the posters for their input!

I'm asking myself this question every time when I read how quickly people want to drop excess pounds: What if they would actually drop those 30 lbs (just a random number...) over night? Are they ready to face their image in the mirror next morning?
    It's like the problem with those '3 wishes'... It never works out the way they hope...
    What if you forget to mention that they have to tighten the skin in the process, too.... I'm going to leave this image to everyone's imagination here.....lol

It will always go back to the old saying.. You didn't put it on in one day, it won't come off in one day... Discipline, hard work, and patience will get you results.

:flowerforyou:
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    what is the fitness tips ? that can loss weight easier

There IS no easy way...... Eat less and mover more... them's the facts.

Having the support of friends and family or other supportive people around you helps to make things easier, Joseph. Good luck.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Lol.

Oh, were you being serious?

Then, no.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The only way I would think this is possible is for a person who is super obese, who's normal TDEE is in the multiple thousands and goes on an extreme deficit under the supervision of doctors and also works out for hours on end - think like extreme weight loss and biggest loser.

For someone with 25 lbs to lose, I don't know how realistically possible that is. - because the smaller you are, it becomes almost impossible to create a large enough deficit without starving yourselff - due to the absolute requirement to eat back some of the exercise to keep your body functioning properly. Even if you only ate recovery meals during exercise, the smaller you are, the fewer calories you burn because you have less of you that you're lugging around - body weight resistance is less.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Health experts advice against losing more than 2 lbs per week for most people, so you tell me. I don't know if its possible to lose 1 lb per day, but I guarantee you are flirting with death.
  • shanitomorrow
    Options
    I'm thinking about an experiment and trying to understand how the body works.

To maintain my current weight requires, say, 1,900 calories, so to lose weight at a steady, sustainable rate, consume, say, 1,400 calories each day. But the loss is not simply from fat tissue, is it? It's from muscle and fat alike?

At different rates, but basically yes. Fat, muscle and other tissue.

But gaining weight is always fat? Unless you are following a specific muscle building Programme?
  • shanitomorrow
    Options

2: I went pretty extreme. My job had me walking almost 20km a day on weekends, about 12km a day during the week. This was my entire cardio plan. I didn't do anything exercise wise outside of it.

Well done ... but wow that's one hell of a paper round :-)

Hehe
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So I started MFP 105 days ago at 265 lbs and have lost 55 lbs or right around half a pound per day eating 2000'ish calories and riding my bike around for 4-5 hours every day.

I could pretty easily cut my calories down lower but that takes the energy I have down and I don't enjoy the exercise as much.

For me, to lose a pound a day I would likely need to do 8-10 hours a day of bike riding and up my calories quite a bit to fuel that even while trying to lose weight. It wouldn't be impossible but pretty hard.

Other than bike riding, my lifestyle is pretty sedentary so I guess if I moved around more when not on the bike that could help a lot but I'm a couch potato when not pedaling.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about an experiment and trying to understand how the body works.

To maintain my current weight requires, say, 1,900 calories, so to lose weight at a steady, sustainable rate, consume, say, 1,400 calories each day. But the loss is not simply from fat tissue, is it? It's from muscle and fat alike?

At different rates, but basically yes. Fat, muscle and other tissue.

But gaining weight is always fat? Unless you are following a specific muscle building Programme?
    Typically yes, it takes some very specific circumstances to make you gain significant muscle mass (eating at a surplus, getting adequate protein and doing some kind of progressive resistance training). If you're just basically sitting around and eating at a surplus, the vast majority of what you gain is going to be fat.
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Fat-No
    Muscle- No
    Water- Yes
  • shanitomorrow
    Options
    So I started MFP 105 days ago at 265 lbs and have lost 55 lbs or right around half a pound per day eating 2000'ish calories and riding my bike around for 4-5 hours every day.

I could pretty easily cut my calories down lower but that takes the energy I have down and I don't enjoy the exercise as much.

For me, to lose a pound a day I would likely need to do 8-10 hours a day of bike riding and up my calories quite a bit to fuel that even while trying to lose weight. It wouldn't be impossible but pretty hard.

Other than bike riding, my lifestyle is pretty sedentary so I guess if I moved around more when not on the bike that could help a lot but I'm a couch potato when not pedaling.

Great progress, well done!
  • shanitomorrow
    Options
    Hi Shan,

I'm from Leicester, MA! Big hello from across the pond!

I looked at your food/exercise diary. I'm wondering if you're overestimating your calories burned during exercise.

You've listed about 830 calories from swimming for an hour. Now I know that this is probably what's listed in the MFP calculator, but I'm guessing that this is for some pretty rigorous swimming with no breaks. If you could really swim/burn this many calories in an hour, I doubt that you would be overweight.

I guess the point that people are trying to make is that the average person cannot burn this many calories in a day, every day, for a week even. I would suspect any calorie counters that tell you that you are......

I don't worry too much about what the MFP calculators say, they can only be an indicator, as the precise calories would be dependent on a number of things - intensity, body size and weight and level of fitness, to think of a few. What I can say is:
    A) I was in the pool for an hour and moving all the time and
    B) I've been very tired today.

I guess bwogilvie hit the nail on the head with the explanation about glycogen availability and take up - there definitely wasn't enough to keep my brain awake and active after an hour's continuous exercise!

Thanks for posters who contributed information about over-exercising, very useful and I've done some more reading about this.