discouraged :(

Options
Hey everyone. I am determined to lose weight this time and see it through. I started going to the gym on 26 July and so far I've lost 2 kg. I was 91.4 when I started and now I am around 89kg. My goal weight is 120 lbs/54 kg. That's about 2 kg and around 4 lbs I think. I feel like I'm not losing weight fast enough :(:cry:

What should I do? I exercise 5-7 days a week and aim to burn 350-400 calories in the gym excluding strength training. I also walk to school and back home on Mondays to Fridays. about 4 km away. I try to eat more veggies and less carbs (I don't completely cut it out because I love it too much) and I try to hit about 1200 calories intake everyday. I am pretty short (5'3) so I do not feel hungry on this target. some people say it's too low but I feel like it's just right for me.

Any advice on what I should do? I know I'm not eating enough fruits. I am trying to rectify that and eat at least one serving everyday.

also everyday I weigh myself the scale says someting different. yesterday: 89.2 today: 88.8... im so confused.

Replies

• CoachChrystalL
    CoachChrystalL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Throughout the day, your weight fluctuates 4-5 pounds (Which is 1.5-2 kgs). Don't worry about the minor number changes on your scale so much.

I would question the accuracy of how you're counting calories both burnt and eaten. Are you measuring everything you eat accurately and on a scale? Are you depending on the calorie counter on the machines at the gym? If so, you might want to consider buying a heart rate monitor which is more accurate. It's really easy to assume you're burnt more or eaten less than you have when you're not extremely careful with the measurements.

If you are certain your measurements are accurate, there are other factors that may be involved, including your own hormones and/or quality of foods your eating, or any medications you might be taking. Have you talked to a medical doctor, or a naturopathic doctor, about the best weight loss system for you?

This is a really great place to figure out what your daily calorie requirements should be: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), then subtract 15-20% off that and try not to eat over whatever that is. For me, that number is 1400 calories a day - however, I still have my calorie counter set to 1200 a day and am doing fine on it.

We are all different and what works for you may be very different from what works for someone else. What's going to help you reach your goals is learning what your body needs to work with and work on in order to do that...

Wishing you the best of luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I am determined to lose weight this time and see it through. I started going to the gym on 26 July and so far I've lost 2 kg. I was 91.4 when I started and now I am around 89kg. My goal weight is 120 lbs/54 kg. That's about 2 kg and around 4 lbs I think. I feel like I'm not losing weight fast enough :(:cry:

What should I do? I exercise 5-7 days a week and aim to burn 350-400 calories in the gym excluding strength training. I also walk to school and back home on Mondays to Fridays. about 4 km away. I try to eat more veggies and less carbs (I don't completely cut it out because I love it too much) and I try to hit about 1200 calories intake everyday. I am pretty short (5'3) so I do not feel hungry on this target. some people say it's too low but I feel like it's just right for me.

Any advice on what I should do? I know I'm not eating enough fruits. I am trying to rectify that and eat at least one serving everyday.

also everyday I weigh myself the scale says someting different. yesterday: 89.2 today: 88.8... im so confused.

you have lost 5lbs in less than a month...that's really good actually.

1lb a week is a great rate for what you have to lose...

1200 is actually not a lot for your activity...what you should be doing is not restricting so much and eating food for your activity.

Hunger is not the best indicator of what your body needs.

Think about it this way...your car has a full tank of gas...you drive it and it uses 3/4tank...now you need to get back to where you were so you put in another 1/2tank so you know you have just enough gas...but when you get back you are now on empty...you need more gas in that car to drive it again...

It's the same way with food and your body...when you exercise you are using up the fuel and it needs replensihed but if you put in just enough you will be stuck there until you put more fuel in...by that I mean tired, lethargic or you will just get so hungry you have to eat and you may make choices that are not condusive to weight loss...ie eating too much.

oh and yes weight fluctuates esp for women.
  • Mohana94
    Mohana94 Posts: 54
    Options
    Throughout the day, your weight fluctuates 4-5 pounds (Which is 1.5-2 kgs). Don't worry about the minor number changes on your scale so much.

I would question the accuracy of how you're counting calories both burnt and eaten. Are you measuring everything you eat accurately and on a scale? Are you depending on the calorie counter on the machines at the gym? If so, you might want to consider buying a heart rate monitor which is more accurate. It's really easy to assume you're burnt more or eaten less than you have when you're not extremely careful with the measurements.

If you are certain your measurements are accurate, there are other factors that may be involved, including your own hormones and/or quality of foods your eating, or any medications you might be taking. Have you talked to a medical doctor, or a naturopathic doctor, about the best weight loss system for you?

This is a really great place to figure out what your daily calorie requirements should be: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ Figure out your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), then subtract 15-20% off that and try not to eat over whatever that is. For me, that number is 1400 calories a day - however, I still have my calorie counter set to 1200 a day and am doing fine on it.

We are all different and what works for you may be very different from what works for someone else. What's going to help you reach your goals is learning what your body needs to work with and work on in order to do that...

Wishing you the best of luck!

I do measure most things like rice for e.g. on a scale and I do use a heart rate monitor that my doctor gave to me. I do moderate exercise about 160- 180 bpm as that was what my doctor recommended for weight loss. Thank you for that website. I will be sure to use that! thank you! I wish you the best too. It's hard to record accurately when my weight fluctuates so much. usually it fluates about 200-400 g. I have to estimate the actual weight I am. I heard some people just measure weekly at the same time. I think I will try that.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

Also, there is no such thing as losing weight too slowly. Weight loss is weight loss, and progress is always progress, no matter how slow. It will always be better than stagnation, or weight gain. It's not a race. There is is no fire. You didn't gain that weight really fast, so it's not fair to expect to lose it any faster.
  • Mohana94
    Options

also everyday I weigh myself the scale says something different. yesterday: 89.2 today: 88.8... im so confused.

you have lost 5lbs in less than a month...that's really good actually.

1lb a week is a great rate for what you have to lose...

1200 is actually not a lot for your activity...what you should be doing is not restricting so much and eating food for your activity.

Hunger is not the best indicator of what your body needs.

Think about it this way...your car has a full tank of gas...you drive it and it uses 3/4tank...now you need to get back to where you were so you put in another 1/2tank so you know you have just enough gas...but when you get back you are now on empty...you need more gas in that car to drive it again...

It's the same way with food and your body...when you exercise you are using up the fuel and it needs replensihed but if you put in just enough you will be stuck there until you put more fuel in...by that I mean tired, lethargic or you will just get so hungry you have to eat and you may make choices that are not condusive to weight loss...ie eating too much.

oh and yes weight fluctuates esp for women.

it's so frustrating when the weight fluctuates because it's hard to measure accurately. I have also tried increasing my calorie intake by 100 to 1300 but when I do that I seem to gain weight... I guess I should be more patient. Thanks for the reply!! I will definitely continue and see where I am in two weeks and one month.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    MFP is quite notorious for setting calorie goals FAR too low, regardless of height and weight. For example, it told me to eat 1200, and my BMR (the bare amount of calories I need to LIVE) is 1280. And I am extremely tiny, only 5 feet. So unless you are smaller than me, or bedridden, it is almost a CERTAINTY that you are eating too little. (This can result in lean muscle loss, chronic fatigue, metabolism damage, and bingeing due to over-restriction.)

Go to

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

and enter your height/weight/activity level.

Subtract 10-20% from the number it calculates for you, and that is the number of calories you should be eating a day in order to lose weight. With this method you do not eat back your exercise calories, as they are already figured into your daily goal.

Also, there is no such thing as losing weight too slowly. Weight loss is weight loss, and progress is always progress, no matter how slow. It will always be better than stagnation, or weight gain. It's not a race. There is is no fire. You didn't gain that weight really fast, so it's not fair to expect to lose it any faster.

..oh.. during my last weight loss attempt my doctor said I was losing more muscle mass than fat. I should really check that website. Thanks for the suggestion. you're right. I should be patient and keep working.
  • CaptnSasquatch
    Options
    You, my friend, are talking to the KING of disappointment. I cannot tell you how many times I started and stopped. Failure was NORMAL. Over the years though I have kept at it - and slowly - so slowly my mind is getting better around food and exercise. Today - I do not eat sugar at all. Combine that with exercise 5-6 times a week - and staying within a healthy range of calories - and today I feel better than I have in years. We try to complicate the hell out of this, but it is very simple. The problem is not in the food or the exercise - it is actually in our minds. Many of us (and you may be different) think VERY NEGATIVELY about food, exercise, and ourselves. We have to heal our negative minds - and when we do this many other things fall naturally into place.

Now - here has been the secret to my success. And this may NOT be right for you - so I am NOT trying to tell you how to do it - I am just sharing what has worked for me. But in combination with plenty of exercise and a good food plan, I go to Overeaters Anonymous 2-3 times per week and have been doing that for years. In that time OA has helped me get my mind off the the number that is on the scale - and has helped me focus on healthy food and a health lifestyle. For me - OA is a loving, caring group of people who are all trying to get well around food. It is a group of friends who care about me as much as I care about them. I wouldn't trade OA for the world. It has brought sanity to food, exercise, and my attitude towards myself when previously I had known only increasing amount of discouragement and anxiety. OA - for me - rocks!

I welcome you to visit OA to see if it fits for you. At OA.org there is a list of face-to-face or phone meetings that you can go to almost any day of the week.

Best of luck to you! John
  • RawIndian
    RawIndian Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You should take a serious look at eating Vegan raw food.

I am of East Indian origin and successfully lost weight on a Raw food diet than simply eating rice and curries.

Plus I lowered my blood numbers.

I think 80% is diet and 20% activity.

There is another culprit - that is Salt which causes water retention and gain weight.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    You, my friend, are talking to the KING of disappointment. I cannot tell you how many times I started and stopped. Failure was NORMAL. Over the years though I have kept at it - and slowly - so slowly my mind is getting better around food and exercise. Today - I do not eat sugar at all. Combine that with exercise 5-6 times a week - and staying within a healthy range of calories - and today I feel better than I have in years. We try to complicate the hell out of this, but it is very simple. The problem is not in the food or the exercise - it is actually in our minds. Many of us (and you may be different) think VERY NEGATIVELY about food, exercise, and ourselves. We have to heal our negative minds - and when we do this many other things fall naturally into place.

Now - here has been the secret to my success. And this may NOT be right for you - so I am NOT trying to tell you how to do it - I am just sharing what has worked for me. But in combination with plenty of exercise and a good food plan, I go to Overeaters Anonymous 2-3 times per week and have been doing that for years. In that time OA has helped me get my mind off the the number that is on the scale - and has helped me focus on healthy food and a health lifestyle. For me - OA is a loving, caring group of people who are all trying to get well around food. It is a group of friends who care about me as much as I care about them. I wouldn't trade OA for the world. It has brought sanity to food, exercise, and my attitude towards myself when previously I had known only increasing amount of discouragement and anxiety. OA - for me - rocks!

I welcome you to visit OA to see if it fits for you. At OA.org there is a list of face-to-face or phone meetings that you can go to almost any day of the week.

wow you're an inspiration to me. just reading this makes me more motivated. my problem is not rooted in overeating as my mother is a health nut and she always controlled our portion sizes and I grew up eating healthy food. I just find it hard to get up and exercise. I always make excuses for not exercising. my physical and occupational therapist (I am at the point of seeing a therapist for weight loss. That's how lost I am and how many times I've failed at weight loss) said I have to train myself to make time for exercise and to think of exercise in more positive ways instead of a chore. Thanks for sharing your story! I will definitely keep this in mind.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    You should take a serious look at eating Vegan raw food.

I am of East Indian origin and successfully lost weight on a Raw food diet than simply eating rice and curries.

Plus I lowered my blood numbers.

I think 80% is diet and 20% activity.

There is another culprit - that is Salt which causes water retention and gain weight.

hey. I am South Indian. Going vegan sounds great but I am not sure if I can give up meat completely to be honest. That doesn't sound practical to me. I can't :( I am eating more veggies and less carbo now. my mum doesn't add much salt/sugar to her curries either as she is very healthy but she doesn't cook often as she works a lot. I don't cook as I am too busy studying this year. so I just have to make healthier choices and exercise more. thanks for the suggestion though!
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    There are some great points here, and some cool advice, but I also wanted to suggest you weigh-in at the same time & day for a bit. Say, Saturday AM before breakfast. Now, fluctuations will still come into play, but a consistent weigh-in will help override those confusing numbers. (Most suggest weekly for weight loss, monthly during maintenance)

Many people weigh everyday, but only TRACK the official weigh-in. Some people find weighing repeatedly helps them understand their body's natural fluctuations. I find it makes me obsess over my weight. I don't need that.

Keep up the good work.
  • Mohana94
    Options
    There are some great points here, and some cool advice, but I also wanted to suggest you weigh-in at the same time & day for a bit. Say, Saturday AM before breakfast. Now, fluctuations will still come into play, but a consistent weigh-in will help override those confusing numbers. (Most suggest weekly for weight loss, monthly during maintenance)

Many people weigh everyday, but only TRACK the official weigh-in. Some people find weighing repeatedly helps them understand their body's natural fluctuations. I find it makes me obsess over my weight. I don't need that.

Keep up the good work.

thank you for this suggestion. I will be doing this from now on. I have heard several people mentioning this so I will definitely try this. thanks!
  • RawIndian
    Options
    Are you living in India or US?

There is really no cooking involved as all you consume is fruits and veggies in its natural form. You don't even have to bother your mom for food :). Just pick up a fruit - wash and eat. You can also drink smoothies.

Yes you have to be practical and do the slow transition. You will amazed how much you feel better by going on a plant based diet. And it will help tremendously with your studies.
  • Mohana94
    Options

There is really no cooking involved as all you consume is fruits and veggies in its natural form. You don't even have to bother your mom for food :). Just pick up a fruit - wash and eat. You can also drink smoothies.

Yes you have to be practical and do the slow transition. You will amazed how much you feel better by going on a plant based diet. And it will help tremendously with your studies.

Neither. I live in Singapore. I am trying to increase my fruit intake. thanks for the suggestion!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

and where does one get their protien on this? If the OP already posted that they were losing muscle mass they need protien.

OP depending on the stats you enter into MFP that will define the calories given.

If at your height/weight you said 2lbs a week weight loss yes it will give you a low amount so choosing your weekly weight loss goal that is reasonable is important too...

but remember that is pre exercise...it is expected that if you exercise you will eat more food...

and there is no reason to go vegan/raw vegan unless it's a moral thing for you...the reason people lose weight is from their intake and being in a deficit...

It is actually 100% intake and has little to nothing to do with exercise when talking about weight loss...

For health that is another matter. I love my "exercise" that I do and I do it to be fit...but I don't do it to "lose weight"...
  • Mohana94
    Options

and where does one get their protien on this? If the OP already posted that they were losing muscle mass they need protien.

OP depending on the stats you enter into MFP that will define the calories given.

If at your height/weight you said 2lbs a week weight loss yes it will give you a low amount so choosing your weekly weight loss goal that is reasonable is important too...

but remember that is pre exercise...it is expected that if you exercise you will eat more food...

and there is no reason to go vegan/raw vegan unless it's a moral thing for you...the reason people lose weight is from their intake and being in a deficit...

It is actually 100% intake and has little to nothing to do with exercise when talking about weight loss...

For health that is another matter. I love my "exercise" that I do and I do it to be fit...but I don't do it to "lose weight"...

I did lose muscle mass before. I am eating protein more now and not relying on cutting down calories alone but also doing more exercise. I don't intend to go vegan. I can't for medical reasons (not recommended by my dietician) and I don't really want to. Not that it's bad. It's just not for me. It works great for some people but not for me. I have medical problems to consider as well. Thanks for everybody's suggestions here. It has been really helpful!
  • RawIndian
    Options
    I did not chose vegan/raw vegan thing for moral reasons.

When I tried different diets I found excellent results with raw food along with a general feeling of well being.

I get protein from nuts, lentils and since I plan to life weights now added a pea protein powder.

All I am saying is have majority of the calories may come from a raw food. One has to try and live that life style so that they can fell the benefits.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

wow you're an inspiration to me. just reading this makes me more motivated. my problem is not rooted in overeating as my mother is a health nut and she always controlled our portion sizes and I grew up eating healthy food. I just find it hard to get up and exercise. I always make excuses for not exercising. my physical and occupational therapist (I am at the point of seeing a therapist for weight loss. That's how lost I am and how many times I've failed at weight loss) said I have to train myself to make time for exercise and to think of exercise in more positive ways instead of a chore. Thanks for sharing your story! I will definitely keep this in mind.

You don't *need* to exercise to lose weight. If you're finding it hard to get going to the gym, just try something as simple as going for a half hour walk every day and just moving around a bit more during the day (go get water regularly, stand up for a few minutes if yu've been sitting a lot, take the stairs, etc). You can also try different types of exercise until you find something you enjoy doing. I used to love doing an hour of cardio 6x a week, and now I only do about an hour and a bit of cardio a week.

Also just because you're eating healthy food doesn't mean you're necessarily eating a healthy amount for your activity levels. You could have been eating too little and negatively impacted your metabolism. Or eating calorie-dense foods (especially those high in fat or high in sugar).

Someone above recommended the IIFYM calculator, but I would personally advise against it. It estimates a few hundred calories low. I prefer these two (exrx.net's is probably more accurate though):
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    For scooby's, use the default model or use Katch-Mcardle if you know an estimate of your body fat. I'd look for calculators that allow you to enter in hours worked out simply because you may work out 5x a week, but maybe only half an hour each day; whereas I'll work out 4x a week for about 90 minutes altogether (excluding time not spent exercising) so even though you'd be at the gym more often, I'm there longer overall.

It's really easy to over-eat calories without even realizing it if you eat a lot of calorie-dense foods or if you just eat frequently during the day.

ETA: You're most likely under-eating, both based on your current weight and on your activity levels. So I would definitely calculate your estimated maintenance needs and then subtract 20% from that, and then slowly increase your calories to that amount. So if you do alll your calculations and your maintenance is 2100, then I'd add in 100 every week (or 50 every few days) until you reach about 1700. If body composition is of importance, then calculate an estimated protein requirement (1g per total weight in lbs or 0.8g per total weight in lbs - use the latter for now since you're still at a heavier weight and likely do not need to eat your weight in protein) and change your goals to that.
  • Mohana94
    Options

You don't *need* to exercise to lose weight. If you're finding it hard to get going to the gym, just try something as simple as going for a half hour walk every day and just moving around a bit more during the day (go get water regularly, stand up for a few minutes if yu've been sitting a lot, take the stairs, etc). You can also try different types of exercise until you find something you enjoy doing. I used to love doing an hour of cardio 6x a week, and now I only do about an hour and a bit of cardio a week.

Also just because you're eating healthy food doesn't mean you're necessarily eating a healthy amount for your activity levels. You could have been eating too little and negatively impacted your metabolism. Or eating calorie-dense foods (especially those high in fat or high in sugar).

Someone above recommended the IIFYM calculator, but I would personally advise against it. It estimates a few hundred calories low. I prefer these two (exrx.net's is probably more accurate though):
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    For scooby's, use the default model or use Katch-Mcardle if you know an estimate of your body fat. I'd look for calculators that allow you to enter in hours worked out simply because you may work out 5x a week, but maybe only half an hour each day; whereas I'll work out 4x a week for about 90 minutes altogether (excluding time not spent exercising) so even though you'd be at the gym more often, I'm there longer overall.

It's really easy to over-eat calories without even realizing it if you eat a lot of calorie-dense foods or if you just eat frequently during the day.

ETA: You're most likely under-eating, both based on your current weight and on your activity levels. So I would definitely calculate your estimated maintenance needs and then subtract 20% from that, and then slowly increase your calories to that amount. So if you do alll your calculations and your maintenance is 2100, then I'd add in 100 every week (or 50 every few days) until you reach about 1700. If body composition is of importance, then calculate an estimated protein requirement (1g per total weight in lbs or 0.8g per total weight in lbs - use the latter for now since you're still at a heavier weight and likely do not need to eat your weight in protein) and change your goals to that.

thanks! this is really helpful. I will adjust my calorie intake accordingly instead of blindly following MFP calculation. also I do all of the above mentioned. I walk everywhere (even to and from school) and take the stairs whenever possible but it's simply not enough as my metabolism is very slow naturally. I have to exercise to lose weight.