highly recommend map my walk

Just a heads up for those that have not tried this app, I find the combo of this app and map my walk, is highly motivational, as it gives you realtime feedback on your exercise... Which can be tweaked to reflect a different activity.
I found myself pushing myself to hike more, and adding a good hike at least 2 x a week, which includes a cardio session with a lovely big hill in the middle.

I found that upscaling my hikes for longer and more challenging ones we're more enjoyable, as you can also add photos along the way... And you see your calorie burn instantly, and compare the same route to see if you are improving.
Walking/ hiking is far more accessible and cheap yo do than ppl give credit for.
It also allows you to burn calories in a far more enjoyable way than using a treadmill!
Try it... And get hooked????

Replies

• I use Map My Run... i wonder if its similar!
  • naughtymum42
    naughtymum42 Posts: 20 Member
    It is
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,853 Member
    edited March 2015
    For how long does your mobile run when having this app running? Can you do a whole day hike with it? Basically that's what I'm looking for: a hiking and cycling tracking app that doesn't drain the batteries too much.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I've heard that it grossly overstates calories burned.
  • yirara
    Calorie burn does not interest me. I'm only interested in duration and speed.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    For how long does your mobile run when having this app running? Can you do a whole day hike with it? Basically that's what I'm looking for: a hiking and cycling tracking app that doesn't drain the batteries too much.

Depends what mobile you have ? My Sony Xperia will run Nike+ running app for about 16 hours my old Samsung Galaxy would have died after 3 hours.
  • yirara
    Hmm... interesting. My apple 6 I think lasts for about 5 hours with the app I'm using now. Which is too short for hike tracking
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    My calories burned is only off by about 10 calories when compared to my HRM.
    I've heard that it grossly overstates calories burned.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I use Map My Run... i wonder if its similar!

The MapMyFitness platform has a number of instances; Run, Walk, Ride they're all much the same. It's similar to the Runtastic suite of the same platform but branded for running, cycling, mountain biking etc.

In practice there isn't a huge amount to distinguish the various apps; Strava, Endomondo, Runkeeper etc.

Note that both MyMyFitness and Endomondo are owned by Under Armor, the same company that own MFP as well.

From a personal perspective I found MapMyFitness quite buggy around uploading sessions, I lost more sessions into the ether than I ever managed to upload.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    I used it and found it to be very inaccurate. I walked along routes that I already knew the distance of, and it said I only walked a fraction of it, and the route it said I took wasn't accurate at all. After several walks where the information it was giving me wasn't right, I deleted it. That being said, if it works better for others, then yay! If it helps as a tool, then that's great. :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I used it and found it to be very inaccurate. I walked along routes that I already knew the distance of, and it said I only walked a fraction of it, and the route it said I took wasn't accurate at all.

All apps are dependent on the phone GPS receiver, and indeed the general environment, for the accuracy of tracking. Some phones have better GPS than others, and if one is running another app that uses the GPS output that can also affect the tracking as well.

In general any phone GPS is going to struggle more than a dedicated GPS with high buildings, steep slopes/ hills, tree cover and rain.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I intend to try the MapMyFitness group soon. I have been using RunKeeper for a year or so and want to see how MMF compares.

Like said, a phone GPS is only so good. In order to reduce battery drain, your phone will update much less than a dedicated GPS like a Garmin. If I zoom in on the tracks my phone records, it looks like I was zigzagging all over to avoid an attacker! That is the fault of the phone, not the app.