Where did you start?

Hi all! When you began your exercise routines, where did you start? I know that some of you have always been fit so this might sound ridiculous; but truthfully, I don't think I've consistently worked out since high school (and I didn't enjoy it much then). I've finally realized that I'm going to need to find some way to incorporate exercise into my life and stick with a routine. I have access to equipment at work and have started walking on the treadmill, 3 times a week. I'm sore from doing this, so even a beginner program like couch to 5k, is a little intimidating. Should I just keep walking until it becomes easier and then try C25K, or should I try something a little bit more aggressive than just walking right away? Or, should I be doing something else? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I was very fit in my youth and until about the age of 30...from there it was downhill pretty quick as I became pretty sedentary.

When I got back into exercise, I did so slowly...just about the worst thing you can do is go from the couch to 100 mph overnight. Not only do you risk injury, but you're very likely to burn out as well.

I started out with nothing but walking...I pretty much made it a point to get out and walk at least three miles per day. After a few weeks I started a couch to 5K (C25K) type of program and started incorporating some running while I continued to walk the other days. As I recall it was an 8 week or so program and was able to complete a running 5K when I was done, albeit I was pretty slow.

After about 3 months or so of this I put myself back in the weight room and started lifting...so by this time I was running 3x weekly, lifting 3x weekly and walking 4x weekly.

I ultimately struggled with running as I didn't really enjoy it...I'm also a supinator which doesn't really lend itself to being a particularly good endurance runner (though I was an excellent sprinter growing up). I stuck with it for awhile and did a few 5K fun runs and charity runs and then I decided I wanted to train for a sprint triathlon.

It was at this point that I injured the posterior tibial tendons in both of my feet...a bi-product of my supination. While this was disappointing and I was unable to complete my training and do the tri, there was a silver lining. I discovered during my training that I really loved riding and also found swimming quite enjoyable.

I subsequently have given up running...riding my bike is my primary form of cardio exercise and I ride around 60 miles per week for general fitness...more if I'm training for an endurance ride (I like doing charity and fun rides) and continue to lift weights.

The secret is finding something you enjoy...and also understanding that "exercise" doesn't have to mean jumping around your living room like a *kitten* to some DVD (unless that is what you like doing) or droning away on cardio equipment.
  • srodriguez416
    srodriguez416 Posts: 10 Member
    This is very inspiring! Thank you for sharing your story!! :flowerforyou:
  • DarkMoon30
    DarkMoon30 Posts: 63 Member
    Hi all! When you began your exercise routines, where did you start? I know that some of you have always been fit so this might sound ridiculous; but truthfully, I don't think I've consistently worked out since high school (and I didn't enjoy it much then). I've finally realized that I'm going to need to find some way to incorporate exercise into my life and stick with a routine. I have access to equipment at work and have started walking on the treadmill, 3 times a week. I'm sore from doing this, so even a beginner program like couch to 5k, is a little intimidating. Should I just keep walking until it becomes easier and then try C25K, or should I try something a little bit more aggressive than just walking right away? Or, should I be doing something else? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I was really fit before I had kids. I ran, I played hockey and I danced. I thought I could just walk back into all of that after years of nothing. I was wrong! I couldn't run for 5 minutes without stopping and feeling like I was gonna die, cry and be sick all at the same time and this was the girl who used to run for miles.

Where do you start?

At the very beginning...

With good food and moderate exercise and go from there.

I started with walking. Really long walks with the kids in the pram... then started uphill walking... then gentle jogging. Yoga and swimming are also great low impact exercise. Ease yourself into it, don't try and do too much too soon or you'll freak out and give up. Start from scratch. Good luck :)
  • Sthere
    Sthere Posts: 59 Member
    Baby steps.

I have always walked my dogs. I also could not run far without being out of breath and getting chest pains like I was having a heart attack. If you get chest pains like you're having a heart attack, I think you are doing too much and I'd slow down. Don't be like me! Hahahaha but I did the couch potato to 5k program without even realising that I did.... Just pushed myself a little more each week and did it. That's as far as I've gone with it I'm content just running 5k for now. I also believe in eating better, my diet was always fairly good, but now it's much better with almost no processed. I went gluten free due to an auto immune skin condition. I think changing your diet should also be baby steps otherwise as the other person said you will burn out quickly and not stick with it. I now crave lots of healthy things and have no desire for squishy bread to my surprise! Whatever you do you want to make it enjoyable and not a chore! Remember it takes 2 months to form a habit start one thing at a time and don't do everything at once. Set goals for yourself each week. I have now incorporated weight training since the running thing. I started running in May, and now in August adding to the repertoire of exercise. From February - May I just dieted and lost 15 lbs. then stopped the calories restriction and started getting in shape! You can do it too!
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Just keep trying! It'll get easier. Try to find activity you enjoy as it'll be easier to stick with. I record my favourite tv shows and only let myself watch them when I'm on my exercise bike, it motivates me to keep going (lol when a show gets really good the last thing I want to do is turn it off and finish it tomorrow).

Just keep doing what you're doing and gradually increase the intensity, ti'll come :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I started with easy walking on a treadmill. Then after a bit, I added the Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight workout. Then I switched to the bodyweight workout 3x a week and C25k 3x a week. It is important to ease into it if you're completely out of shape (I was completely unfit), not just to prevent injuries, but also to avoid getting discouraged and overwhelmed.
  • evsplava
    evsplava Posts: 35 Member
    I was always a walker. I was always walking without knowing how much I was doing. So I bought a fitbit. Recently I've added a kamagon ball to my routine
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Walking, to Zumba, to running, and I still walk
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    I've always been active - before I had my daughter I went to a gym to workout.

After I had my daughter we moved - I had a longer commute - and stopping at the gym got more and more difficult.

I started 'building' my gym around 12 years ago. First I got a treadmill - then a universal weight machine and free weights. Later came a recumbant exercise bike then an elliptical.

I use my gym daily - I think I like my treadmill and bike the best. Now my daughter is a teenager and she uses my gym as well!
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    I've always enjoyed walking and especially hiking, but as I gained weight it became harder to go long distances or do lots of uphill... I still did it, but much more slowly, and with a lot more stopping and resting!

When I first started on this trek to fitness, I mainly was walking and hiking, working on endurance. I then decided I was ready to up the game, and started the Zombies, Run! version of C25k. When I started it I was close to 300 lbs! But I stuck with it, and completed all 8 weeks of it over a period of about 3 months.

Since then I've moved on to the regular Zombies, Run! app and usually go for runs (or do walk/run intervals) 3x week. The other days of the week I either walk, hike, or kayak.

So... I guess the moral of the story is that it worked for me to start slow, with something I was already comfortable doing, and work on endurance. But then to not be afraid to push yourself - moving on to C25k was a big leap of faith for me with how heavy I was and the fact that I hadn't run for any amount of distance probably since I was forced to in high school PE. :laugh: And that I found out I was capable of more than I thought!
  • srodriguez416
    srodriguez416 Posts: 10 Member
    Thank you all for the suggestions!! I’ve made so many positive changes with my eating over that last three years, that it is no longer a “diet” but a lifestyle change. I would really like to do the same with exercise and make it a non-negotiable part of my life as well. I want to push myself, but I also worry that if I push too hard I will quit.
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    I started with very short walks, because that was about all I could do. After I dropped about 35 LBS (Guessing) I joing a local gym and got a trainer 2 x per week. She has me do circuit training for about 40 minutes at each session. Now, I do 5.4 jog and 4.3 walk intervals, typically for 30 minutes or so 4 or 5 days a week, plus go to classes at the gym, plus my trainer days. I even find myself walking or a little gym work on my off day! Just start somewhere and keep setting small goals. It's been a 6 1/2 months and I'm down 68 lbs.It works if you stick with a plan.Jut don't lie to yourself or make excuses. I see a lot of that on here. Maybe get a Haeart Rate Moniter so you can figure out what your target heart rate is. I have the Polar HT7 and love it so far!

One more thought. I see people who have been coming to the gym I go to for the same amount of time I have. Some work pretty hard when I see them, but they look exactley the same. Your diet is 90% of the game. If you don't eat healthy foods MOST of the time and make sure you are eating the corrct portions, you won't lose. You HAVE to eat at a deficit. Get a good food scale if you don't have one. Try to pay atendtion to the other macros, not just calories. Fat, carbs, sodium...it all makes a difference,. We all have our slumps, but it's about what you do the majprity of the time. You have to re-train your brain to like new foods and exercise. I'm still working on that myself! Good luck, and feel free to add me if you want.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    I started with doing some exercises while watching TV. Then I bought some DVD's.

Then the place that I started working at had a small fitness center (and when I say small I mean at the time there was a tiny aerobics room, one tower that had all the basic exercises: lat pull down, row, biceps, pec dec), a few treadmills, bikes, and some free weights. I did some of the aerobic classes and did my own thing with the weights (I knew what exercises worked what so that wasn't an issue for me). Then the fitness center expanded and got a LOT more equipment and when I was getting bored with what I was doing I had the people who worked there create a program for me. I went to the gym 4-5 days a week because it was convenient (and FREE!).

Now I go to the gym with my husband 3-5 days a week (try to aim for 5, most of the time we get 4) and lift weights. I have been lax on my cardio so I need to get back into that.

I guess my point is that I started out doing basic things at home and then as luck would have it I was able to expand and workout at a gym. It always amazed me how many people didn't use the fitness center. I mean it was FREE!
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    I started with 15 minute walks May of last year. Now I exercise 4-5 times a week doing spin, strength training and running. The me over a year ago probably wouldn't ever imagine that she would be where she is now. It's a great feeling. But we all have to start somewhere.

I followed the Couch25K program when I was a lot heavier and before I started my weight loss journey. It was tough -- I had issues with my breathing(side stitches) and shin splints but I did finish my first 5K at the time. When I was in the middle of my weight loss journey, I tried running again and this time -- I just went out and ran to see how far I could go before I needed to stop. I just went a tad bit longer each time and now I just ran my longest run this past Sunday -- 8.75 miles! I'm not the fastest but I get it done!

Spin class has helped me a lot before I started running again. My legs are stronger so I have no problems with shin splints. And I learned to breathe during my classes so I also don't have problems with side stitches either.

I think the key is to find exercises you enjoy and after a while -- the activities will change. For me -- I like to challenge myself. Everything I used to say I couldn't do, they are on my new to do list!

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Well I was never fit, or real active. I started with Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred, her dvd's provide your with 20 minutes of cardio plus circuit training.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    I did like most of the posters here. I started off with slow short walks. As I lost more weight and got more fit, I was able to increase the pace and duration of my walks. Now I try to walk at least 2 miles a day. I do 27 minutes @ 4 1/2mph as my baseline, then add to that if I'm bored or over eat.

We also have acquired a lot of used exercise equipment over the years. I have a Gazelle and stationary bike in the house, and stair stepper and power rider on the porch, plus other stuff that is stored in the barn. Most days I use the Gazelle and bike first thing in the morning. {I work 2nd shift} This is also my TV time. Not wanting to jinks my Seminoles by stopping, I went 55 minutes on the Gazelle one time in a double overtime basketball game. {Even though the game was the night before, And I was watching on the DVR}

I also use free weights two days a week. I started off very light with that and worked my way up. I buy the Gold's Gym weights at Walmart, and since 2 1/2 lbs are their smallest weights, I have been increasing my upper limit by that amount each month. I aim for 75 minutes every Monday and Thursday. I know many people do much more, but I have developed an all around workout that hits all major muscle groups. And at my age, I'm in no hurry to work on my beach body. Just feeling good and being strong is it's own reward.

Something else I do that is harder to put a number on is working in my garden and else where around the Larro Ranchero. I have adjusted over the months, and now I log 40 minutes for every hour of work work that I do. It seems to be about right most of the time, but I still have to watch the scale close and adjust my calories from there. It is much harder to maintain weight than it was to lose.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    I was very fit in my youth and until about the age of 30...from there it was downhill pretty quick as I became pretty sedentary.

When I got back into exercise, I did so slowly...just about the worst thing you can do is go from the couch to 100 mph overnight. Not only do you risk injury, but you're very likely to burn out as well.

I started out with nothing but walking...I pretty much made it a point to get out and walk at least three miles per day. After a few weeks I started a couch to 5K (C25K) type of program and started incorporating some running while I continued to walk the other days. As I recall it was an 8 week or so program and was able to complete a running 5K when I was done, albeit I was pretty slow.

After about 3 months or so of this I put myself back in the weight room and started lifting...so by this time I was running 3x weekly, lifting 3x weekly and walking 4x weekly.

I ultimately struggled with running as I didn't really enjoy it...I'm also a supinator which doesn't really lend itself to being a particularly good endurance runner (though I was an excellent sprinter growing up). I stuck with it for awhile and did a few 5K fun runs and charity runs and then I decided I wanted to train for a sprint triathlon.

It was at this point that I injured the posterior tibial tendons in both of my feet...a bi-product of my supination. While this was disappointing and I was unable to complete my training and do the tri, there was a silver lining. I discovered during my training that I really loved riding and also found swimming quite enjoyable.

I subsequently have given up running...riding my bike is my primary form of cardio exercise and I ride around 60 miles per week for general fitness...more if I'm training for an endurance ride (I like doing charity and fun rides) and continue to lift weights.

The secret is finding something you enjoy...and also understanding that "exercise" doesn't have to mean jumping around your living room like a *kitten* to some DVD (unless that is what you like doing) or droning away on cardio equipment.

It's interesting that you mentioned supination and ankle issues. When I was running 3-4 times a week my ankles almost always ached. Luckily I never injured myself. I didn't realize that being a over supinator may have been the issue. I guess moving and switching to cycling for my cardio was a good thing for my ankles.

I started with walking 3-4 days a week. I found a nice path in my neighborhood that had some a few hills and tried to walk that a bit faster each week. I progressed from there to running and strength training. Just take it one step at a time.
  • KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member

THIS!!!!!

I started out doing kickboxing/bootcamps, then I got into running, then rock climbing. I had a gym membership, never used it, and cancelled it. I hate being stuck on a machine and thats how I thought you lost weight. Now I look forward to my "workouts". It's my chance to socialize and have a good time..... oh yeah and shred lbs. If you find what you like you will look forward to working out, not dread it. And that, my friends, is how you make a lifestyle change.

P.S. When I started I also joined WW to get a grip of what normal portion sizes was. Learning about healthy alternatives/choices and portion sizes/control was a HUGE help. Nutrition is as important (if not more) as activity level.