C25K Off Days Workouts

Options
I just started the C25K program this morning. I know it says to do the program 3 days a week with rest days in between. I was wondering what people did on those rest days. I would like to workout at least 5 days a week but I don't want to do anything that will kill my legs so I end up not being able to complete my run/walk the next day. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks so much!!!

Replies

• eikito
    eikito Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yoga, pilates, swimming, strength training (you can just focus on upper body if you don't want to work your legs); or just go for a walk.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I still don't run every day (usually 3-4 days a week) and then do weights, swim, elliptical or rower (or a combination!) on my non-running days.
  • RunninGran
    Options
    I row, it is still aerobic and it is a whole body workout....
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    they mean rest days from running. i lift weights on my running rest days
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but if you are using C25K, that means you are pretty out of shape (I speak from experience). It's only a 12 week program. I would use those rest days and limit yourself to just the running. You can always expand on your physical activity after you've completed C25K.
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    I lift weights.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, but if you are using C25K, that means you are pretty out of shape (I speak from experience). It's only a 12 week program. I would use those rest days and limit yourself to just the running. You can always expand on your physical activity after you've completed C25K.

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

1. You can't assume someone's out of shape just because they're doing the C25k. There are people who are excellent in other aspects of fitness (biking, elliptical, weights) who for whatever reason are just not good at running and want to start slow. And even if the OP is out of shape, wouldn't doing different types of exercises rather than JUST running be ideal?

2. Adding other exercises is recommended on most running websites (Runner's World, for example). Strength training is especially helpful, and it doesn't have to be anything drastic like learning to lift heavy. It can be pushups, situps, low weight high rep exercises. Anything that strengthens the muscles in your legs, thighs, and arms will make running less painful and help you power through your workouts.
  • michielee
    michielee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I admit I am not in the best shape but I am great at cardio, just not so great at running so that is why I am doing the C25K program. Running has never been my thing but I have signed up for a couple 5Ks in the hopes of fixing that :) I plan to work out at least 5 days a week, 3 with the C25K program and the other 2-3 I will do some strength training and focus on my core! I really appreciate all your advice!
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do the C25K program on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. On Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturdays, I for sure do weights/strength training. I also do the elliptical or biking, sometimes go for a hike/slow walk, or an exercise DVD. I'm looking to get into Yoga for flexibility and relaxation. Sundays are my rest days as I don't do exercise unless it's a quick walk with the dogs or biking to the grocery store.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

???

I used C25K and was decently in shape. To give you an idea, I finished C25K a little over a week ago, ran the 5K distance on the final day. Today I finished a 10K distance. I completely credit this to the fact that I've been lifting. I'm surprised and delighted at how well the benefits have transferred to running.

The reason I started with C25K is that I wanted to build distance without doing something dumb and injuring myself, which I figured would be easy for me to do since I hadn't run at all previously. C25K gave me (and presumably other people running distance for the first time) a nice, foolproof plan to follow.

OP, the suggestions already given are good ones. If you feel overly tired, then repeat C25K weeks or scale back the rest day exercise.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    ???

Good point.