It's like I'm on Repeat...

Options
Ok, So this happens to me ALLL the time. I do really well for a good one or two weeks, and than one thing sets me off and I'm 'bad' all week and undo everything I've just worked really hard for. The next Monday comes around and I'm all gung ho and motivated do really well for a week or two and lose it again. I'm tired form starting over every two weeks...

Does anyone else do this?

Has anyone gotten over this, what did you do?!

Any help is appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DaveDeLange
    Options
    I found the best way was to write down targets/goals for both short and long term. Then focus on achieving the first one.

Until I did this I would do the same as what you describe. My weight loss plans were too vague and fuzzy. I had to really focus my mind. After a few weeks I had formed good habits and going back to old habits just isn't an option.
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Totally feel the same way.

I've actually been on this healthy kick seven or eight times in the last few years. I'm seeing better results this time around and I think I've come up with a couple ways that keep my motivation up. I work in a cubicle, so I post my weekly weight up on the wall. That way I'll see it all day and have that number in my mind. I also put my weight in dry erase marker on the refrigerator door. That why, when I go to look for food, I see that number.

Motivation is the hardest thing for me. So with little tricks like these, I can keep focus a little bit better. Three weeks in and I've lost around five pounds. That helps too.

Supposedly it takes 21 days to form a habit. Not sure how concrete that is. But if you can something your regular routine, you'll be more likely to continue.

Good luck! You're gonna do great!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I get like this from time to time too. But please realize that one day (or week) of bad eating is not going to ruin all your progress - especially if you DO get back on track - that's the important part!
    Also, you might be restricting yourself too much so you get in the cycle of deprivation and then you binge. Maybe try adjusting your calorie goals to lose a little slower (half a pound a week) that way you don't get burned out and go on a eating binge. And no food should be "off limits". You can eat anything in moderation as long as you stay at a deficit. You can break this cycle, but you have to set yourself up to succeed, not to fail. Good luck!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Happens to me all of the time. Instead of making it a "bad" week, have a "bad" day and then continue your being good. Sometimes I do need to drink to excess or have half of a pizza. New day is a new day, start over, keep up your good work. Just don't let the bad days be your excuse to be bad for long periods of time.
  • levicrouch
    Options
    Yeah, I imagine it happens to everyone at some point. For me, I try to remember that each meal, each day, each week, each month each year, is a chance to do better.

Even 15 years of bad choices doesn't doom you to a lifetime of being overweight. You can always change for the better.
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do this, constantly.

For me, I've found the best way to get back on track is to log everything. All of it. Even if I'm way over on my goals.

That way, I can look back over the bad days and see where I am as a whole. And I've found that as long as I'm at a deficit for the entire week, I'll still lose.
  • nlsalvatore
    nlsalvatore Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do the same. I don't have any tips - I just keep trying!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If I had to guess, it's because you're trying too hard to chagne everything at once. I used to do the same thing. I'd try to live on barely any food and would do ok for a week or two and then binge like crazy and try to claw my way back to eating less, and the cycle continued on and on. There were other versions of things like doing low carb, taking pills, etc and they all eventually ended the same way - with me giving up and regaining the weight.

It actually took a good friend of mine asking me why I put the weight back on for me to figure it out. It wasn't rude or any of that, she honestly was curious both personally and professionally because she's my best friend and she's also a weigh loss consultant and personal trainer - but she's never been truly overweight (not more than maybe 20 pounds) so it's hard for her to understand. Anyway, at first I kind of blew it off like "the past is the past" but I couldn't get the question out of my mind so I thought about it over several months and realized all of what I put in the 1st paragraph of this post. Every diet I ever tried before centered around some sort of deprivation and that simply didn't work for me.

So this time, I eat what I like but in smaller portions and/or with healthy twists. Like when I make spaghetti, I add a bunch of veggies to the sauce, use leaner meat and only have one portion of pasta (instead of 2 or 3). And if I want pizza, I just have a few slices of a medium with veg toppies instead of half a large loaded. And I don't try to eat salads or other things that I really don't care for just because I'm trying to lose weight and they're "diet" foods. Although I will admit that I tend to go for at least lower fat versions of things because they're lower in calories.

And with exercise, I try to take the same approach. Forget about whever everyone says you "should" do, just find 2 or 3 things you really like and do them. It might not be the ideal workout but you're off the couch and moving and that is the key. Like I know I should do more strength training but this time of year when it's nice out, I'd rather be outside walking. If I enjoy what I'm doing, I'll be consistent instead of making excusesj - and I'll get back to the weights when it gets colder out.

Think about it. WHY doesn't this crazy cycle work for you? What might be a better way?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    stop letting a thing set you back so much. fine, it happens. but instead of trying to drown your sorrows in food or smoking or alcohol or whatever unhealthy habits you have, try and do some exercise instead.

i had some bad moments myself. i fell off the wagon and would start over eating, smoking, and drinking. and not working out. but now, when i have some stress in my life i find a way to work out. it's a win-win as well, as not only do i work out frustrations, i physically feel better. unlike eating/drinking/smoking where you might feel better, but then you'll feel worse because you just put all that bad stuff in your body.

and you know, if you go out and work out and then afterwards, you still want some cake, then go for it. at least you worked out.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I see a couple of things here:

1. You're probably trying to do too much at once. Don't make it complicated. Set a REASONABLE calorie deficit and stick to it. You'll make adjustments over time to accommodate your calorie goal.

2. You're not addressing the issues that are causing you to go back to bad habits. Some will disagree with me, but a lot of the time, overeating is rooted in not properly handling emotions. There may be some emotional or life issues you need to address, or you may simply need to learn some new coping techniques, so you don't turn to food in the normal moments of life's stress.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Labeling things "good" and "bad" may be part of the problem. Find what works for you. You want to eat nutrient rich whole foods most of the time but having a chocolate chip cookie should not throw an entire week of healthy eating away.