my doctor frustrated me this morning.

Options

Replies

• bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm the same height as you and I just revised my goal from 135 to 125 about a week ago. I get where you are coming from with this. From where I started (187) it seemed like getting to 135 would be enough but now I'm realizing that would put me too close to the borderline of being overweight. I did hate seeing that number of pounds to lose go up, however.

Also I eat a net of around 1600 calories a day. I started at 1700 but have lost 25 lbs so I needed to adjust that down.
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    if you plan on doing 30 minutes of elliptical every day thats 200 calories (according to my elliptical machines computer). If you eat back your exercise calories like MFP wants you to, thats 1400 calories a day. Which I think you said is what your doctor wanted to see you at? Sounds good to me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why freak out about what your goal weight should be now that you're just starting?

sounds like an invitation to start making excuses.

you're getting frustrated over something that wont be an issue for another 5-6 months and even then it's not that much of a problem
  • ceen43
    ceen43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Encouragement! We all want to be encouraged, especially as we are in our beginning phases if getting healthy. I totally understand your frustration. Please go at your pace and do what you honestly feel will benefit you. But be honest with yourself. When you get to YOUR goal, re-evaluate and go for more, if you're feeling that is what you want. Do this for you and your health, not for your doctor or anyone else. :)
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and came down from 150 to 121 since February. Your doctor is right- 135 for our height is barely dipping into the healthy weight range. I remember how I felt at 135 and 125 and even that 10 lbs makes a difference in how I felt about myself.

That said- you have to get to 135 before you get to 125, right? So, why not set your goal to 135 first then work from there? If you lift weights too, then you may decide that your body fat percentage is eventually low enough that you don't want to push your weight that low... and I think your doctor would agree, too. The fittest I ever was was when I was 137lbs (technically overweight, although my BF % was in the "athlete range" and did about 1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of strength training 5 times per week.

But, sadly I don't have that kind of time anymore so I'm ok with a lower weight and slightly higher BF %.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    You can't get to 125 without first getting to 135. So get to 135, reevaluate your goal, and decide what you want.

There is no problem here.
  • simplyeva2
    Options
    This is a really good topic. Thanks for the clarification on how to figure out the correct calorie amount to start with. :smile:
  • MomforNoah
    Options
    I think you are doing great! That sounds a little frustrating. I would get to your 36lb goal, and then go forward from there if that is what you is your healthy weight :)
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I tot
  • sa11yn
    sa11yn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Stick to your guns!! Stay with the 135lbs for now, then when you have achieved that goal then aim for the 125lbs. I've joined MFP beginning of June at 169lbs and every few weeks I gave myself a small goal. I have now lost 21lbs. I was told that it will be much easier to control my weight at a later date if the weight loss a regular amount every week.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I totally get where you're coming from. I'm 5'2" as well and when I started at 185, the 40 lbs down to 145 was overwhelming enough. When I thought about 135 and that being 50 lbs, it made me feel like that might be something I couldn't accomplish and I was feeling defeated before I started. So. I set my original goal at 145. Right now, I'm at 152, feeling so close. But last week, I realized that with slow and steady work, I'm getting there, and dropped my goal to 130.

Who knows, I may drop it again. Or I may not. I think it will come down to me and what feels right for me. At the very least, I know that I have already accomplished a lot and I am healthier, have tons more energy and am enjoying life more.

Don't let the Drs or any other professionals looking in from outside your situation and perceptions stress you out. Just starting was an accomplishment and you've already done so much. Go you!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 days in so far, but so far in those 6 days I have completely gotten myself off soda, watched and counted my calorie intake, and went from 5 minutes on the elliptical to 30 minutes at a slow pace.
    So this morning, I went to the doctor just for the all clear. He asked me what my goal was, and I told him 36lbs, which would put me at 135 down from 171. He said uh hum. well for your height of 5'2, 135 is still on the overweight side. I would recommend going for at least a 45lb loss and get down to 125 range.
    So, should I just stick with my original 135, to me that seemed more doable and less overwhelming and it just kind of frustrated to hear my doctor basically say not good enough shoot for this.
    He told me that I should stay at 1400 calories and that 1200 was too low and I probably wouldn't lose at 1200, which is what I have been reading on here.
    So now I don't know if I should readjust my goal or just leave it alone.

I'd definitely not listen to my doctor if I were you!!! Like who does this guy think he is?? some kind of expert?? in what the body and how it functions??? pfft people on the internet will know allot better!!! listen to them they are way way higher educated then your doctor! . . . . .

/shakes head
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I say leave the goal the way you want too. You don't have to look as skinny as you did in high school. I'm 5'2" as well and when I get down too low, I don't look or feel as good. When you get in your 30's plus, you can be closer to 130-135 and look fine. That is the same goal I want to get too. I just gave up the soft drinks as well. Keep up the great progress you are making. Feel free to add me a as a friend.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I am only 6 days in so far, but so far in those 6 days I have completely gotten myself off soda, watched and counted my calorie intake, and went from 5 minutes on the elliptical to 30 minutes at a slow pace.
    So this morning, I went to the doctor just for the all clear. He asked me what my goal was, and I told him 36lbs, which would put me at 135 down from 171. He said uh hum. well for your height of 5'2, 135 is still on the overweight side. I would recommend going for at least a 45lb loss and get down to 125 range.
    So, should I just stick with my original 135, to me that seemed more doable and less overwhelming and it just kind of frustrated to hear my doctor basically say not good enough shoot for this.
    He told me that I should stay at 1400 calories and that 1200 was too low and I probably wouldn't lose at 1200, which is what I have been reading on here.

I'd definitely not listen to my doctor if I were you!!! Like who does this guy think he is?? some kind of expert?? in what the body and how it functions??? pfft people on the internet will know allot better!!! listen to them they are way way higher educated then your doctor! . . . . .

/shakes head

First of all, I didn't come here to say my doctor was wrong. I came here to see if I should go ahead and change my goal or not. I have decided, based on people to just leave it and reevaluate once I get to that point.
    Second of all, why be so rude? makes me really second guess this site.
    but nevermind. I think I will just leave the forums and stick to my own little world of calculating and keeping track of things.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options

/shakes head

I agree that he isn't supposed to be your cheerleader, but telling you what is and what is not healthy. He's keeping you aware that at 5'2" what is and is not considered healthy.

No matter what your goal is breaking it down into easy chunks makes it seem more attainable for most. Just because 35 pounds sounds easier, doesn't mean you can just ignore that 125/130 might be a better target weight for you at your height.

I'm confused about the 1200/1400 calorie comment...that both him and MFP you've read to not eat at 1200 because eventually you wouldn't lose? Or that on MFP you've read that you can eat at 1200 and lose and be fine? If you are meaning he told you 1400 and MFP told you 1200, you are definitely reading what is said on MFP wrong.

You've been doing this for 6 days, continue on with your goal. This will probably be the first bump in the road of many that will pop up. Just keep on keeping on.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options

/shakes head

First of all, I didn't come here to say my doctor was wrong. I came here to see if I should go ahead and change my goal or not. I have decided, based on people to just leave it and reevaluate once I get to that point.
    Second of all, why be so rude? makes me really second guess this site.
    but nevermind. I think I will just leave the forums and stick to my own little world of calculating and keeping track of things.

This site is not the problem. A handful of people who think it's funny/cool/whatever to be sarcastic or rude in their responses are the problem. Most people on here are nice and helpful but most of the time when you post something there are going to be a few irritating responses. Don't let them ruin your day. Either ignore them or report them if necessary. Keep up the hard work.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I just left there wishing I never went in there in the first place.

If that's all it takes to have you questioning yourself like this, perhaps the root problem lies elsewhere.

Nothing the doc said is particularly inconsistent with what you are already doing. Even the 1200 v 1400 thing is no big deal, as the error bars on the numbers are probably as big as the difference between the two numbers. If you want to change your target goal weight, do it, if you don't want to, don't do it, it makes no difference.

Focus! And good luck! :drinker:
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would stick with your current goal. The fact is that your doctor is using the BMI, which doesn't take into account bone or body structure. You may feel completely comfortable with your goal weight, or you may want to lose more... who knows?! Stick with what you have, and then if you feel good when you're done, stay at maintenance. If you feel like you want to lose more after, then lose more.

I would be frustrated with my doctor too. How about a "good job, stick at it!" rather than "well, that's not quite good enough".

You've got this!!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

I'd definitely not listen to my doctor if I were you!!!

/shakes head

I have decided, based on people to just leave it and reevaluate once I get to that point.

I was gonna say... before this became a mean people / ragequit thread......

Setting your goal wherever, and then re-evaluating sounds best. You have no idea what you will look like at any given weight.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    The answer .... how you look in the mirror is key.

I am in maintenance now .. but my calorie deficit part was a bit of a failure. Why ... cause I lost too much fat and looked like **** at the end. I did get to my goal weight and my goal measurement but it was still a failure. Lesson learned and I hope others do not do what I did.

So .. the whole goal weight thing is honestly dumb. It is not about a number on the scale, but more importantly your body composition numbers or more importantly how you feel and look.

If I could do it again .. I would skip a goal weight (in my case it was about a goal measurement that got me off track). I got there .. but looked like hell.

So .. disregard the whole goal weight thing. It is in many cases a road to disaster.