Replies

• DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond butter?
  • ktothema
    ktothema Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter (well my own cashew, almond and peanut butter) in porridge with a spoon of jam too. I don't find it to be the overriding taste and it obviously kills off the texture. Unless you have an issue with the texture of porridge too in which case this post is of no help ;)
  • Owlibee
    Owlibee Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OP I read your other post so I know you need to avoid dairy.

I think I was born with a spoonful of peanut butter in my hand :laugh: so I can't really suggest much other than to try different kinds to see if you find one type you like? Natural brands, brands with other ingredients added, brands that mix chocolate or hazelnut in. Or, try almond butter... that may suit you better.

You could also just have nutella instead. Nothing wrong with that!

I never thought about oils! I guess I could make peanut butter shakes like I do with the nutella but with lactose free milk.

Ah. Good insight. Thanks for sharing that here. No dairy might require more creativity :smile:

In addition to oils, how about fattier cuts of meat or fish? Salmon is a great source of fat, for example. You can also eat chicken thighs, regular pork loin (not tenderloin), steak, 80% ground beef....

I never thought about oils! I guess I could make peanut butter shakes like I do with the nutella but with lactose free milk.

I always thought salmon was very low in fat, learn something new everyday!
  • Owlibee
    Options

Havent heard of it before, I will give it a go as I do tend to like things covered in butter. But dairy upsets my stomach
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    OP, fat and oils have the most dense calories. Any foods or meals with high amounts of oils and fats will up your calorie intake.

Whatever you prefer - meatloaf made with 75/25 beef, prepared meals, homemade casseroles, pasta with cream sauces, eggs benedict, any fried foods, Outback's Bloomin' Onion (1948 calories).

Deep fried Oreos and Twinkies. Mmmm.

-- edit -- Oh, you need to avoid dairy. Cream sauces and cheese are out.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the honey roast peanut butter? It's pretty dang good.
  • Owlibee
    Options
    Have you ever tried almond or cashew butter? Those might appeal to you more. If you do not like the taste of pb, it is hard to recommend a way to eat it. Like bananas, the flavor will override other flavors in the recipe.

Its more texture then taste, and I think its moth ball sensation I get when its in my mouth
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    If you can't stand peanut butter, no need to force it on yourself. Like others have said, it *usually* is a food that is easy to fill in an extra 200 calories in one bite.

Whole nuts of any sort are good (if you like them: sunflower seeds, too). Otherwise, adding a tablespoon of an oil of your choice to meals is a great way to boost an extra 100-150 calories without "overstuffing" yourself.

If you can't have dairy, coconut oil is a great butter substitute, since it has a similar, solid like consistency. Spread on some toast--yummy--and yeah, use that Nutella, too with it for a sweet flavor.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the other 'butter' suggestions above and would like to add in Sunbutter (made with sunflower seeds). It's delicious!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    What about tofu? It has a lot of protein and it will taste whatever you put with it...

I think tofu is more sadness than egg whites.
    Also looking at the USDA database, per 100g of tofu, it has 8g protein. 70 cals and 4g fat.
    Per the USDA, 100g of whole eggs is 143cals, 12.5g protein, and 9g fat (essentially 2 eggs)
    Chicken breast raw, no skin - 100g 120cals 22g protein 2.6g fat.
    So no tofu doesn't have a lot of protein.

She needs to up her fat intake.
    Ice cream, nuts, cheese, chicken thighs, 80% ground beef, avocado, nutella
  • Owlibee
    Options
    What about tofu? It has a lot of protein and it will taste whatever you put with it...

I think tofu is more sadness than egg whites.
    Also looking at the USDA database, per 100g of tofu, it has 8g protein. 70 cals and 4g fat.
    Per the USDA, 100g of whole eggs is 143cals, 12.5g protein, and 9g fat (essentially 2 eggs)
    Chicken breast raw, no skin - 100g 120cals 22g protein 2.6g fat.
    So no tofu doesn't have a lot of protein.

She needs to up her fat intake.
    Ice cream, nuts, cheese, chicken thighs, 80% ground beef, avocado, nutella

Thank you for the info.

Nothing against tofu eaters but I like my meat.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    OP I read your other post so I know you need to avoid dairy.

I think I was born with a spoonful of peanut butter in my hand :laugh: so I can't really suggest much other than to try different kinds to see if you find one type you like? Natural brands, brands with other ingredients added, brands that mix chocolate or hazelnut in. Or, try almond butter... that may suit you better.

You could also just have nutella instead. Nothing wrong with that!

Ah. Good insight. Thanks for sharing that here. No dairy might require more creativity :smile:

In addition to oils, how about fattier cuts of meat or fish? Salmon is a great source of fat, for example. You can also eat chicken thighs, regular pork loin (not tenderloin), steak, 80% ground beef....

I always thought salmon was very low in fat, learn something new everyday!

Yep! Salmon is excellent for you, but it is higher in fat. Avocados are great too.

Salmon, avocado, bacon "BLT". Boom!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, don't eat something you don't like. There are tons of foods out there you can substitute instead of peanut butter. Nuts are great all by themselves.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Havent heard of it before, I will give it a go as I do tend to like things covered in butter. But dairy upsets my stomach

Almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, and other nut butters are made the same way. They're just nuts put through a food processor until they're a "buttery" consistency. There should be no actual butter or dairy included in the ingredients.

However, if you have a problem with the consistency of peanut butter that will likely extend to other nut butters. If you don't have that issue with Nutella then maybe you can to find a nut butter that's more finely ground than others or try grinding your own. The Peanut Butter & Co dark chocolate dreams tends to have a silkier consistency more like Nutella. Or you could try one of the newer whipped varieties of peanut butter.

But really, it's okay to not eat peanut butter if you don't like it.
  • liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Mash up an avocado... put it on everything. :) Seriously, though, there are so many other fats besides peanut butter. Be happy you don't care for it because I can eat an entire jar in one sitting before I even realize it if I'm not careful.

Like others mentioned, start using oils and try almond butter and almonds. All of Trader Joe's nut butters are to die for.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Eggs, avocado, salmon, bacon
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If i was told it needed to gain weight/ fat i would eat real sausage,hot dogs, kielbasa whatever i love it all and it is so ridiculously high in fat and calories and i miss it so much and the turkey chicken kind is just not the same. Oh what id do for a roger woods with green peppers and onions on a big hoagie roll.... damn that and football tailgating season just go together
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You like nutella- just keep eating that!!!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of other butters you might want to try: almond butter, sunbutter, coconut butter, cashew butter, pecan butter, walnut butter. . . there are a lot of other options out there. You don't have to make yourself eat things you don't really like. I even saw a recipe for making chocolates that you keep in the freezer with coconut oil (which has a good amount of fat in it).
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Mash up an avocado... put it on everything. :) Seriously, though, there are so many other fats besides peanut butter. Be happy you don't care for it because I can eat an entire jar in one sitting before I even realize it if I'm not careful.

Like others mentioned, start using oils and try almond butter and almonds. All of Trader Joe's nut butters are to die for.

Mmmm. . . if you blend an avocado with cocoa powder and some kind of sweetener (honey, etc), it makes a really good chocolate pudding. ;)